2017 NHL Mock Draft w/ EA overalls and potentials!

Discussion in 'Prospects/Draft' started by Stephen A. Smith, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Stephen A. Smith

Stephen A. Smith Hall of Famer

Positions of the draft are based on the standing of the date 1/16/17.

Also the only thing I did different was make Minnesota 30th rather than Columbus because I wanted the best West team and the best East team to be in the final two spots so it made sense.​

1. :col- C/RW Nolan Patrick 83, High Elite F
    2. :arz- D Timothy Liljegren 81, Medium Elite D
    3. :nyi- C Nico Hischier 80, Medium Elite F
    4. :oakland- C Gabriel Vilardi 75, Medium Elite F
    5. :buf- D Nicolas Hague 73, High Top 4 D
    6. :det- LW Eeli Tolvanen 77, High Top 6 F
    7. :win- C/LW Casey Mittelstadt 70, High Top 6 F
    8. :dal- D Callan Foote 72, Medium Elite D
    9. :tbl- D Juuso Valimaki 68, Medium Top 4 D
    10. :nj- RW Owen Tippett 71, High Top 6 F
    11. :van- C Michael Rasmussen 73, High Top 6 F
    12. :nas- C Cody Glass 70, Medium Top 6 F
    13. :flo- RW Nikita Popugayev 68, Medium Top 6 F
    14. :ott- D Cale Makar 67, Medium Top 4 D
    15. :car- C Martin Necas 69, Medium Top 9 F
    16. :los- D Urho Vaakanainen 67, Medium Top 4 D
    17. :tml- D Miro Heiskanen 65, High Top 6 D
    18. :cal- RW Klim Kostin 70, Low Elite F
    19. :phi- LW/C Lias Andersson 69 Medium Top 6 F
    20. :bos- C/LW Elias Pettersson 66, Low Top 6 F
    21. :stl- C Ryan Poehling 64, Medium Top 9 F
    22. :sjs- LW Matthew Strome 67, High Top 9 F
    23. :edm- D Luke Martin 61, Medium Top 6 D
    24. :ana- LW Isaac Ratcliffe 67, High Top 9 F
    25. :nyr- C Nicolas Suzuki 63, Low Top 6 F
    26. :pit- RW Kristian Vesalainen 67, Medium Top 9 F
    27. :chi- LW/C Kailer Yamamoto 64, Low Top 6 F
    28. :mon- C Alexander Chemelski 60, Medium Top 9 F
    29. :cbj- LW Maxime Comtois 66, Low Elite F
    30. :min- G Michael Dipietro 62, Medium Starter G
    31. :wsh- C/LW Marcus Davidsson 63, Medium Top 9

Note

:col Nolan Patrick- Nolan Patrick is the best player in the draft and no matter who has the 1st overall pick should not pass on this guy.
    :arz Timothy Liljegren- If Arizona sticks with the 2nd it wouldn't make since for them to add Hischier to the roster with guys like Keller, Strome at center for the future. So draft Liljegren who can help on their weak defense.
    :nyi Nico Hischier- Kinda like a last year's Laine who was ranked mid 1st round then jumps all the way up to 2nd and some people even have him 1st over Patrick. The Islanders could really use this guy especially if John Tavares leaves. Have Hischier, and Barzal as ur #1, and #2 centers.
    :oakland Gabriel Vilardi- If Las Vegas stays with the 4th they need a player who could end up as their future #1 center since they ain't gonna get that in the expansion draft. Vilardi is an easy pick for Las Vegas if they end up with the 4th.
    :buf Nicolas Hague- Buffalo needs defense more than scoring. They have good prospects and players on the team currently. Nicolas Hague IMO is the 2nd best defender in the draft besides Liljegren.
    :det Eeli Tolvanen- A great sniper who has been compared to Patrik Laine in his shot ability. A perfect fit for the Red Wings who desperately need good prospects in their system.
    :win Casey Mittelstadt- Winnipeg usually in the past maybe 3 years have just taken the best player available. Casey Mittelstadt IMO would be the best player avaible. I debated a bit if they should take Foote over Mittelstadt but they just drafted Logan Stanley last year so why not add another good center/winger prospect to the system.
    :dal Callan Foote- Well when you look at negatives for the Stars the first thing that pops into your head is... goalie. Well, another thing is their defense is awful definitely bottom 5 IMO. Adding Foote to the roster would definitely help their team in the future.
    :tbl Juuso Valimaki- Now this might be a bit of a leap, but Tampa could really use help on their defensive core. Valimaki would not be a bad pick at #9 IMO (A lot of IMO's).
    :nj Owen Tippett- With the Devils drafting McLeod, and Zacha last year its time for them to add a winger to the pool of prospects. With Valimaki taken I would think New Jersey would rather take a possible 30+ goal scorer rather than a defender who could end up never making the NHL.
    :van Michael Rasmussen- The Nucks need some more centers for the future once both the Sedin's are gonzo. Rasmussen is a perfect fit for the team if he drops down to this pick.
    :nas Cody Glass- Cody Glass will be the best player in the NHL once he is drafted by the NHL. Silly bias opinion. Nashville is in dier need of centers once Fisher, and Ribs are gone. Adding Glass would really help them in the future.
    :flo Nikita A. Popugayev- My 2nd favorite player of the draft falls down to the Florida Panthers. Florida pretty much are good on prospects in general so I just gave them the best player available.
    :ott Cale Makar- IMO Ottawa needs defense more than forwards so the next best defender on the list for me is Cale Makar.
    :car Martin Necas- After drafting a million defenders they need to add some forward prospects to the system. Necas still IMO is nothing special, but you never know.
    :los Urho Vaakanainen- When I look at negatives for the Kings their defense isn't the greatest. Adding Vaakanainen will definitely help their defense in the future.
    :tml Miro Heiskanen- Once again, Toronto needs defense. Heiskanen is the best defender available so easy pick for Toronto.
    :cal Klim Kostin- This could easily be the steal of the draft if Kostin drops this low. Kostin has definitely drop pretty far since the season has gone on. He had 8 games in the KHL and score 0 points. Admittedly, I still believe Kostin could become a great player (Why I gave him the Low Elite potential) we'll see if he drops or who knows some team might still draft him with a top 10 pick.
    :phi Lias Andersson- Another situation, where they just pick the best player available. Andersson I haven't been paying attention to, too much but I'll believe what the other mock draft sites say.
    :bos Elias Pettersson- I probably put this guy too low, but I'll stick to my list I made. Pettersson just like Kostin were ranked pretty high, but have dropped in stock, but they still could get drafted in the top 10.
    :stl Ryan Poehling- Best player available.
    :sjs Matthew Strome- After losing Nieto to waivers and not having too many good left wing prospects (Unless Meier, and Golobin are LW then oops) Matthew Strome could be a really good pick for the Sharks.
    :edm Luke Martin- Best defender available. Edmonton needs defense. Kazambo!
    :ana Isaac Ratcliffe- Anaheim needs left wing. I'm getting lazy.
    :nyr Nicolas Suzuki- This dude is awesome if Nashville can somehow get him I would loves it.
    :pit Kristian Vesalainen- OVERRATED!
    :chi Kailer Yamamoto- Another Debrincat for the Blackhawks.
    :mon Alexander Chmelski- Steal!
    :cbj Maxime Comtois- Best Player Available again!
    :min Michael DiPietro- Zachary Fucale.
    :wsh Marcus Davidsson- Name outta a hat.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

Are these what their ratings are in EA Sports' NHL or did you assign these ratings?

3. Crossfit Jesus

Crossfit Jesus Legend 3

Hischier should be higher then Liljegren in overall and draft position otherwise it looks like a good mock draft.

4. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

he assigned em.

5. Stephen A. Smith

Yeah I made these potentials and rating based on my opinion of the players

6. Brian Bull-Dozier

Brian Bull-Dozier Hall of Famer 2

Oakland Raiders= LV Golden Knights?

7. Stephen A. Smith

Yes cause this website is too lazy to add the Knights logo.

8. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

I have to say I like a lot of the players in this draft. Yamamoto, Glass, Suzuki, Ruzicka, etc. I know this draft is weaker compared to those in years past, but I still think there are a lot of good players in the 2017 draft. Nice work, Steve.

9. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

Comtois shouldn't be here

10. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

I would be over the moon if the Sabres could get Hague. But I don't think they'll be that low at the end of the season.

11. TOboy67

TOboy67 Rookie

No chance Lijigren goes 2nd overall. Hischier challenging Patrick for 1st. Hague further down and Tippett top 10 as well as Necas.