Buffalo GM Mode ep 12 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Dec 15, 2015.

1. StobzillaGM

StobzillaGM Veteran

Ok, let's get into this.

An overhaul at this point is not needed, you are in a good spot and you could even make the play offs this year. With that said, the squads chemistry can generally take 3/4 smaller personnel changes on board and the quicker you pull the trigger on them then the better you will be come the end of the season/play-off run.

A couple of things jump out.

As someone previously said, play Ristolainen on your top D-Line with Hedman, you should then look to package up one of the 2nd line defenders for a younger player of equivalent OVR or upgrade the OVR with a slightly older player. An 84 OVR generally doesn't get it done on the 2nd FWD line so you need to protect Girgensons with a defender who either has the potential to be better than what you already have OR an already better vet presence. To my mind, Franson isn't skilled enough to be an OFD and he certainly isn't covering his defensive deficiencies with his offensive play. Look to trade him away.

Secondly, I would recommend an inexpensive (trade value wise) older goaltender who doesn't have to be better than Lehner, but they need to be able to give him some relief and still leave you in a position to win. Kahkonen is doing good for his OVR but he is only a 79, he has played a few NHL games this year and will be better off for it but he needs to be sent down and a better goaltender is needed. A serious play off team would need a miracle to sneak in with a 79 rated tendy as a back up. Check on the availability/OVR of Luongo if he is still playing, Florida will not ask much for him and he is generally quite solid in this game.

Lastly, I think you could use better 3rd and 4th liners, at the minute you just seem to have some bodies just filling them out, none of them stand out as being able to contribute anything meaningful either points wise or defensively. Look to upgrade these guys with some all rounders or some who can definitely contribute in some meaningful way on the PK. Jay McClement, Riley Nash, Vincent Trochek and Luke Glendenning types, any 2 of those 4 would really help this team. Personally, I like Trochek and Glendenning

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

Lehner is trash, but you're not in as bad a spot as you think.
    Skinner is still at least 3 years away from starting in the NHL (CHL this year, AHL next year, NHL Backup, then Starter). So you have time to get a real solid goalie for 3 years, use Lehner as your back up that whole time, then let the goalie you bring in take over Backup duties when Skinner is ready.

In my Buffalo Next Gen GM - after Year 1, I traded for Gibson (ANH - they had two amazing goalies [Anderson was the other] and only needed 1 so I took the older one) and made Lehner my Backup because his stats sucked.

I drafted Skinner (in my Roster version [different than yours] he was green or med Elite [I can't remember atm]), and when he hit 80 in the AHL, he became my Backup. After winning the cup that year I was able to offload Gibson (and his $7 million contract) to a terrible team for their 1st round pick (Top 5).

Skinner started the following year at 88.

Skinner will take time to develop -- and he is only listed as a starter so you want to make sure he gets as much time as possible to do that. In the meantime, go get a real goalie.

To get Gibson, pretty sure I traded Kane and something else because he wasn't doing squat for me. I also ended up dumping Ennis for the same reason. They don't produce and your prospects end up being better. Start looking at who is going to be ready for next year now... If you aren't going to have room for the vets that aren't producing, time to trade them away for short term solutions.

My rule of thumb, if a skater's defensive awareness isn't around 83-85, and their shot blocking and stick checking isn't above 80, they don't make my team. I also look at their discipline and on prospects available through free agency where I have snagged a number of significant players (19-20-21yr) that have ended up being amazing for my team, I look at discipline as well (if you play with injuries on, like I do, players with 85 durability or better only).

I've made the playoffs every year accept Year 1.

PS. Not sure how you screwed this up, but after Year 1 or 2 (can't remember which) Rhistolainen jumped to a 91 low franchise player for me (again different roster version than you are playing on).

3. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

By the way, you are still missing a ton of opportunities to improve player morale because you are simming from the Calendar page and missing Team Meetings when you play your rival team (Toronto) and teams that are top of their division (varies). These meetings have the potential to boost morale for the entire team, but it takes a few to get everyone on board (you saw what happened after the one you just held - 5 guys; the next one should be more, and then more, and then more).

Again, for the six or seventh time, you should be simming from the HUD page using advance day. You get all the same information about wins and losses (just in a different way) and there is no way to miss morale opportunities. It even tells you how many days until major events (All-Star game, Trade Deadline, etc).

4. StobzillaGM

StobzillaGM Veteran

This, if you keep using option 2 for example then it moulds the rest of the squad to respond that way during team talks in the future. And double this for just using "advance day" clicking on the HUD rather than using the calendar.

5. Devin Weston

Devin Weston President Of Hockey Operations

I wouldn't jump the gun & say that just yet. Yeah, the 1st half of the season was looking pretty rough for the Sabres, but on the bright side they were at least able to gain some momentum going into January. That said, the season can still be salvaged, so it's not totally like the proverbial "18 wheeler going right off a cliff." so-to-speak.

So here's my input. Lehner's just not getting it done as a starter. However, you do have a fair point about not wanting to trade young prospects & draft picks, so I'll leave it at that.

I do have one suggestion that might be worth a try & that's this: Put Eichel OR Reinhart as a 2nd line center & let them drive the play. The 2nd line seems to be the line that other teams are scoring against most & since you've got your best forwards all on one line, when they're on the bench the opposing team doesn't have the pressure of having to shut down another potential dangerous line capable of scoring. In layman's terms, I'm going by a general rule of Thumb that states the more the talent is spread out on the 2 top lines, the better the chances you have of scoring and/or shutting down the other team's offense. Just think of how Crosby & Malkin are used in Pittsburgh to compliment their respective lines.

Perhaps this might work better in your favor.

Ennis-O'Reilly-Reinhart
    Kane-Eichel-Girgensons
    Killorn-Larsson-McGinn
    Thompson-Campbell-Garbutt

I like this one because Ennis would be better suited as a left winger as opposed to a right winger. This also essentially leaves either Eichel or Reinhart to remain on the 1st line while the other is able to further his development as the team's next top centerman.

OR

Kane-Eichel-O'Reilly
    Girgensons-Reinhart-Ennis
    Killorn-Larrson-McGinn
    Thompson-Campbell-Garbutt

& keep O'Reilly as the center on the PK. It would make sense given he is the team's top defensive forward & that is what you want to back the PK unit.

Now this is the one I think is best for the Sabres going forward for 2 reasons. One being that it gives both Eichel & Reinhart the opportunity to become the top 2 centers of the Buffalo Sabres. This makes it harder for opposing teams to match-up against 2 potentially dangerous lines as opposed to being focused to shutting down the 1st line. This also lets Girgensons remain on the 2nd line, still giving him a chance to further develop to his full potential. Not only that, but Girgensons also has experience playing on the left wing & having a center like Reinhart might help develop him into a solid 2nd line left winger, and that helps when you've got enough depth at center & you want to take another center and use him for a winger rather than having to make any unnecessary trades.

6. dillweed969902

dillweed969902 Rookie

The Sabres aren't a bad team. It is really just the morale that is really killing you. You did seem to fix it a little bit but it isn't enough. You can have players jump up like 2-5 overall points if you are lucky.

7. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Johnny, your moral due to roster change problems are because of auto rotate. I don't think you should make any crazy trades if any. You need to keep a solid core for a few years to build chemistry. Making a big trade every year is not going to help the chemistry. I say ride this year out and maybe make it to the playoffs. In the offseason trade for a veteran goalie to boost your playoff run next year. I say veteran because in a few years Skinner will be ready to go and you don't need a young goalie stealing his ice time. Also please give Estephan more ice time! He's a high elite! Highest potential forward on your team!

8. boonmoon

boonmoon Rookie

Johnny you need to keep kakanin as your backup, he has become a leader in the locker room and because of that his potential could get a lot better.
    The only thing I think you should do is to put some of your second liners on the trade block and let teams come at you or go for an older goalie like Luango on Pittsburgh

9. BlueBull

BlueBull General Manager

he should put in a little bit of my advice (see post #2 for info) into that too.

10. FUTAngel

FUTAngel Rookie

Johnny
    You got a lot stock to ship out of buffalo i.e Kane,Ennis,Ristolainen,Lehner
    Try and trade for players like Cam Fowler which are beasts in the nhl and can grow to High Elite to Franchise potentials.

So don't give your GM Superbman with a very good rep of winning stanley cups.

11. Kened

Kened Rookie 2

Johnny you should trade girgensons 15pts in 42gp is ridiculous for a second line center, rookie or not. At least 25-30. Im sure he has alot of value. Go for a Mark scheifle. They most likely have the same value. And DO NOT MOVE KAHKONEN. I have my own Gm sabres series and he is currently my starting goalie in the NHL and he is a 89 overall

12. BufFanboy

BufFanboy Rookie

Put eichel back as a playmaking center his potential went down because of that he will score goals as a playmaker him and reinhart play really good together as playmakers

13. Evgeni Malkin 71

Evgeni Malkin 71 Rookie 3

Reinhart should grow again this year. He is better than Eichel.
    Reinhart: 90
    Eichel: 88
    Reinhart started off as a 78 overall. In Year 1, he was a 78 overall and turned to an 88 overall. Then, he turned to a 90 overall. Eichel has only grown to an 88. In year 1, he was 87. The following year he was 88. He probably won't grow as much the next year. Trade Eichel and Kane. For a goalie and a medium elite froward. Or maybe McDavid and their goalie or 2nd Round pick. Most likely Edmonton won't do that.

14. Bob Mackenzie

Bob Mackenzie Rookie 2

Most unrealistic comment ive ever read. Jesus

15. Evgeni Malkin 71

"Most Unrealistic comment" Mind to post one that is helpful too?

16. erik karlman

erik karlman Rookie

Like most people here have already said your team has its holes, but the best thing that can be done might be to just wait for your prospects to be develop. However I would suggest packaging one of Ristolainen or Pysk with a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a young top 4 d-man, as Ristolainen is not getting the job done on the second pair and has dropped in potential.

Your d-core would then look like:

Hedman-Franson/Bogosian
    Bogosian/Franson-New Acquisition
    Meszaros-Ristolainen/Pysk

Regardless of your d-core, the one thing I think you can fix internally is your power-play, which is only clicking at 11% right now. Move one of Eichel or Kane to the point with Hedman and put O'Reilly back at the number one center spot for a net front presence. Then put one of your 3rd liners on the second unit and put your next 2 best offensive defense-man at the point.

Your PP units would look like:

Kane-O'Reilly-Reinhart
    Eichel-Hedman

3rd liner-Girgensons-Ennis
    Franson/Bogosian/Ristolainen/New Acquisition

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  17. Evgeni Malkin 71

You should pick up a 88-90 guy to help you. Hedman needs that kind of guy to play well. Like the Ottawa Series when you put Lindholm and Karlson together. They played well together. Same sort of case here. You need a trade for those guys. Trade your disgruntled guys for the D and replace them with other players in the or from the AHL.
    OLIVER EKMAN-LARSSON Might help you out with Hedman

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  18. Carolina Candy Canes

Carolina Candy Canes Legend 2

Johnny, pay attention to Erne in the minors, he might be angry if you do not listen to his complaints!
    Also, try trading a depth forward like Brandon Sutter if you want to make the playoffs this year!

19. Evgeni Malkin 71

I found this thing on NHL 16 that shows the Max. Chemistry lines
    This is for offense:
    PLY PLY SNP
    PLY TWF SNP
    TWF TWF TWF
    GRN GRN TWF
    TWF PLY PWF
    SNP PLY GRN
    GRN GRN GRN
    (Note it could also work like:
    PLY PLY SNP to SNP PLY PLY
    THIS: Doesn't work PLY SNP PLY)
    This is for defense:
    OFD DFD
    TWD TWD
    DFD OFD
    Just in case the terms mean:
    PLY: Playmaker
    SNP: Sniper
    PWF: Power Forward
    GRN: Grinder
    OFD: Offensive Defender
    DFD: Defensive Defender
    TWD: Two Way Defender

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  20. ShowtimeDynasty

ShowtimeDynasty Rookie

I think Johnny should make a trade for Connor Hellebuyuck (I may have spelled that wrong). I made a trade for him in one of my GM modes, and he was working out great.