Buffalo GM Mode ep 14 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Kened

Kened Rookie 2

That would never go through

2. BetterThanToronto

BetterThanToronto Rookie

john, I honestly think that yo need to trade Evander Kane. you should trade him, because if you look at the past couple years he has not produced like I 1st line forward with the weapons gave him on his line. try trading for early picks, prospects, or defensemen. (even though you have Hedman, you still need some defense to play that top4 and top6 roles and not complain.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. MrGuy9021

MrGuy9021 Pro

Favorite move was you trading for Khokhlachev. I'm not sure where he's going to fit into the lineup right now, but you nailed it in a "realistic" sense. He was unhappy and pissed in Boston, you took advantage of it and snagged him up on the cheap which is what happens a lot in the NHL nowadays. Draft overall was solid, but with another year of finishing in the bottom 5, you're going to become the brand new Edmonton.

4. ZUCC

ZUCC Hall Of Famer

I honestly think that you should trade for a shutdown top 2 defenseman to pair with Hedman. Try trading Kane, Ennis, and picks/prospects for a great defenseman with 1 or 2 years left on his contract. That way when Day grows fully you will be able to have that shutdown guy before Day comes. Maybe he could be a mentor for Sean Day. Remember in the Ottawa GM Mode when the team wasn't getting it done. You traded for Hampus Lindholm and the team instantly became cup contenders. I think the same same could be true here. This trade should be something you definitely consider

5. Evgeni Malkin 71

Evgeni Malkin 71 Rookie 3

I found this thing on NHL 16 that shows the Max. Chemistry lines
    This is for offense:
    PLY PLY SNP
    PLY TWF SNP
    TWF TWF TWF
    GRN GRN TWF
    TWF PLY PWF
    SNP PLY GRN
    GRN GRN GRN
    (Note it could also work like:
    PLY PLY SNP to SNP PLY PLY)
    This is for defense:
    OFD DFD
    TWD TWD
    DFD OFD
    Just in case the terms mean:
    PLY: Playmaker
    SNP: Sniper
    PWF: Power Forward
    GRN: Grinder
    OFD: Offensive Defender
    DFD: Defensive Defender
    TWD: Two Way Defender

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  6. Evgeni Malkin 71

Evgeni Malkin 71 Rookie 3

Never go through. Would you do it, Good Goalie old age for Better Goalie younger age. COMPARE!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Bluejays3

Bluejays3 Rookie 2

It was a great draft for the sabres, remember you don't have a good goalie in robin lehenr who is only 86 overall with 4 gold star. Go into the free agency looking for a elite goalie to sign or even if a team does not want to give away their goalie away in a trade you need to trie. GM SUBERMAN this could be your last year if you don't make the playoffs you need to make this one count

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. Sticks and bonea

Sticks and bonea Rookie

I think you need a 90 + goalie period. Also try to create cap space with trades because you are going to have a lot of contracts expiring at the same time. You don't want to lose talent because of the cap

9. braden holtby 70

braden holtby 70 Rookie 2

10. alex tortella

alex tortella Rookie 2

please get teuvo teravinen for evander kane or something similar

11. Mike78

Mike78 Rookie

The team is shaping up nicely for the future, but you still need a 90+ goaltender to get you to the next level. Lehner is a decent backup at best.

12. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

For what you had to pick from, the draft was fine.
    You got a 19 year old RW Sniper that will take 2 years to develop in the AHL.
    You already have RW Sniper Spencer Watson (Top 6 potential), to fill that gap for the next three years. Then Watson can play on the 3rd line unless his and Birkholz stats are good enough to move O'Reilly in a couple of years. More on that in a moment.

Here is what I see as the state of your team currently:

Your OAF (Old As F*) 4th line experiment failed miserably.
    78 Garbutt (age 32) (-12)
    81 Thompson (age 33) (-13)
    80 Campbell (age 34) (-10)
    Should all be released at the end of the contract resign stage (or earlier if you are feeling like you need to send a message to the team, but it really doesn't matter when you do it -- they need to go.

The Trade Bus Is Now Loading.
    87 LW Kane (another terrible year) (UFA)
    84 RW Ennis (another terrible year)
    84 Franson (age 30) (9g 20a -11)
    82 Meszaros (age 32) (4g 3a -6)
    82 Killorn (age 28) (serious minus player)
    Each of these players need to be moved during Free Agency. You can't trade them until then, so
    Kane is going to need a contract if you want to get anything out of him.

Kane and Ennis: They aren't producing and it is time to move on, make some room for young prospects to make a name for themselves. Trade them for an ELITE goalie with an OVR of 88 or better, for the love of God.

Franson and Meszaros: Another pair of OAF players that are just going to continue to get worse the longer they are on your team. They are already minus players and Franson as an OD isn't producing the kind of points you want to see out of an OD. Again it is time to move on and make room for the prospects that are coming up.

Killorn: He is getting older and he isn't getting better. He dropped in OVR rating actually, and he was a minus player on a line with McGinn and Larsson. McGinn is gone, but I think that was a mistake. I think the problems were Larsson and Killorn, the latter because he just isn't that good and the former because he never works out for me in any GM mode I have had him in. Move Killorn now, there is no room left for him on this team with prospects coming up.

Your 2018-2019 Buffalo Sabers: (* OVR ratings likely to change as of Sept. 13)
    F1: Eichel(88) - O'Reilly(91) - Reinhart(91)
    F2: Girgensons (*84) - Larsson(*83) - Khokhlachev(*83)
    F3: Erne(*83) - Estephan(*79) - Baptiste(*82)
    F4: Carrier(*82) - Spaling(82) - Watson(*80)

D1: Hedman & Bogosian
    D2: Ristolainen & TBD
    D3: Day & Guhle

G1: TBD
    G2: (86) Lehner

Forwards:
    Line 1: No changes

Line 2: Complete overhaul. Girgensons has time to improve and with Larsson he might just do that. You will need to check which is the more appropriate centerman though and switch them if need be. Khokhlachev is there because I don't know how much he and Erne will grow. If Erne makes more sense, move him up from L3 to L2 and Khokhlachev down to L3. Lack of icetime might piss Khokhlachev off if you do this, so be wary of this move. It might just be better to leave Erne on L3 for his rookie year. You could always offload Larsson or Girgensons now to move Erne up, that would give you better line make up (playertype-wise on the 3rd and 4th lines).

Line 3: Complete overhaul. Because Estephan is likely to get another OVR rating boost by Sept 13 he may be ready to center L3. If he doesn't get a decent boost, you may want to run him in the AHL for 1 more year as the L1 Center there. If that happens you are going to need a L3 Center for 1 year, Estephan would be ready to take over in 2019-2020. If you do this, Larsson is a good candidate, which would open up the door to bring Erne up to L2 and smooth out playertype groupings. And again, I think Girgensons defensive stats make him the better player to keep over Larsson, who does nothing but piss and moan and Girgensons just does his job.

Line 4: Complete overhaul. Anchoring this line in this option, is Spaling. Spaling was disgruntled at the end of Year 2, neutral at the beginning of Year 3, spent a year in AHL and is currently happy because of the success the Rochester Americans had. Whether he stays that way, I couldn't tell you because I have never let my players morale get that poor and kept them on the team... It might be worth trading him for a 25-26 year old Top 9 potential player with an OVR around 82 // or getting one in FA and leaving Spaling in the AHL. Meanwhile, Carrier will be NHL ready and at a Bottom 6 potential he has earned it. Watson should also pick up a few more OVR rating points and be ready to play in the NHL, but as a sniper his defense is going to suck. Your 4th line NEEDS to have solid defenders on it. Watson can play on the 4th line if he has defensive forward support, otherwise consider playing him in the AHL one more year but don't expect much more growth down there, he has maxed that out. After next year, someone on L1 or L2 will have to go for Watson to move up to L3 That's probably O'Reilly (he'll be 29-30 then and the only one not still growing) or Larsson/Girg/Khokhlachev. You would get more trade value out of O'Reilly and you will need it because if you do well and make the playoffs, he and your 1st round pick can move up to top 5 easily in the draft. Meanwhile, Carrier is a Bottom 6 sniper, and his defense is also likely to be questionable at best. I treat Bottom 6 as 4th line, and on my 4th lines I want solid defenders. Carrier may be good here for a year or two in a pinch, but I would start developing young talent that are geared for defense to fill those grind line slots, like your draft pick Dadonov potentially.

Defense:
    D1: Hedman & Bogosian:
    Because you have no better options, Bogosian will have to do, but I would start preparing yourself to trade him while his value is still worth something.

D2: Ristolainen & TBD:
    Because Franson is only going to get worse and Ristolainen has already been hammered by your terrible management of the team, He needs to regain that Top4 potential by playing on the second line with a solid Defensemen you pick up in Trade or from Free Agency. You should be looking for someone around 84-86 age 27-29. And just like Bogosian, don't get attached to him because he'll be here a year or two at best before prospects push him out.

D3: Day & Guhle:
    They should be ready for the NHL. Get them playing and watch them grow. After 1 year they will likely push whomever you bring in to play with Ristolainen down to 3rd pair status. Ristolainen may even fall to that status if he doesn't improve after this next year.

Goalies -- my kingdom for a goalie!
    Listen. Stop goofing around and get an elite goalie. You will not make the playoffs with Robin Lehner. He has proven that three years in a row now. It's not your defense, or your lack of scoring that is losing you games. That is all Lehner. He is a backup at best. Get an Elite Goalie, go to the playoffs, turn this team around. The goalie you get will be here for at least 3 years, likely more since he could take over backup duties from Lehner when Skinner moves into the starting role if he gets that good.

No Man's Land:
    Kirkland (OVR 80) is going to get a boost, but how much is hard to say. He may be ready to play on the 4th line, if you end up trading Girgensons or Larsson and moving Erne up.

Free Agency:
    You will need to refill your AHL team with young talent because of the number of players coming up this year. You don't have much depth left down there (2 elite, 1 top 6, 1 top 9). During Free Agency, I would take a look at all categories individually (C, LW, RW, D) and sort by potential. Then look for skaters 20-21 with top 6 green ratings or better. Anyone in the 70's is going to be worth picking up and can fuel your 4th and sometimes 3rd lines in the future. You can find some real gems this way. But make sure you are picking up stuff that makes sense for your long term plan (which I don't think you have). If you want a heavily defensive team (bottom 6 forwards and defensemen) then make sure you are getting skaters with good potential defensive stats (high 70's / low 80's defensive awareness, shot blocking, and stick checking). I would pick up 4 forwards that can play the bottom half of your AHL team this year and potential move up to the top half next year.

The future is... murky:
    You still have some prospects that need seasoning before they are ready to move up to the NHL:
    77 Catenacci (Bottom 6)
    77 Kutak (Bottom 6)
    76 Aaltonen (elite)
    76 Palmu (Top 9)
    76 Philp (Bottom 6)
    69 Pu (Top 6)
    68 Birkholz (elite)
    and Skinner.

Skinner needs to Start in the AHL next year but you have a problem; Makarov, Kahkonen, and potentially Herbst are all in the way (at least 1 needs to go and another needs to sit).
    Skinner, because he likely won't be the starter of the AHL next year, will have to backup AHL for 1 year, then start for 1 year, then backup in NHL 1 year before he is ready to be the number 1 goalie in Buffalo -- and that's only if he gains ELITE status... otherwise you'll have another Robin Lehner on your hands.

Catenacci, Kutak, and Philp could be ready next year to play on the 4th line, but honestly I wouldn't bother unless their defensive states are amazing.
    Palmu is probably never going to make the team. Another sniper with no line to play on.
    Aaltonen and Birkholz will eventually need spots on the team and both are RW's. Birkholz has the same issue Watson has, someone from L1 or L2 will have to go to make space for him (Likely O'Reilly but not for a year or two). The same can be said about Aaltonen, someone will eventually have to go, in his case it's probably going to be someone from L2 (Khokhlachev or Girgensons, because, again, Larsson could go now to move Erne up this year.)

All Around:
    Because I can't see your players current individual stats, it is difficult to say what you need to improve. I choose my players based on their defensive stats first, and their player type second.
    My 3rd and 4th lines always have forwards with solid defensive stats (83 or better Def. Awareness - and I try to get around 85 or better shot blocking and stick checking).
    Also, you aren't playing with injuries on, so you are going to have scratch players doing nothing. So keep that in mind. I'd just turn the injuries back on and learn to play with them.
    You have some flexibility in your lines next year. Especially if you offload some of the underperforming skaters for draft picks and replacement players (ie an ELITE goalie and a defenseman).

Good Luck.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. l62lxHagelin

l62lxHagelin Rookie

You should really adjust your team strategies to fit your team. It plays a surprisingly big part in the sim engine and I think it is exactly what you need to do to get the Sabres in the playoffs

14. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

He won't listen to that, too many long time followers continue to pooh-pooh the idea because of something they say he heard from EA a few years ago for NHL 12 or 14 (iirc). God forbid the company actually makes any changes to the way simming operates to go along with all the other changes that affect it (like morale). So instead of trying to change things, we are just going to continue to pretend this is an earlier gen of the game. I know, it's frustrating as hell.

Besides, I don't think he even reads most of these comments anyway. I mean we have been telling him he is missing morale improvement opportunities for weeks now, but even in this last video he can't help himself... simming from the calendar page and missing team meeting after team meeting for the Rochester Americans, which in turn improves the morale and they play better which means better growth. It's like trying to convince a rhinoceros to speak French.

15. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

Holtby has way too high trade value.

16. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Rookie

Johnny if you don't make the playoffs this year don't fire your self you came in for a rebuild and you need to stick it through one of your problems is you keep look for players in the draft use your high picks to bring in better talent (goalie). just look at the Edmonton oilers in real life first after first and nothing but top players to show for it. you cant just build a team through drafting because you will always be rebuilding and waiting for players to come up and join the squad you need to aquire strong talent. remember this year during the nhl draft Arizona was shopping the 3 pick because they felt they could get a better player for the pick then drafting just my two cent like so johnny sees

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Naterhater

Naterhater Rookie

Do what you need to to get an elite goalie!!! Usually you can snag Subban or Gibson for not too much, and they will most likely continue to grow. Ive played quite a few different be a GMs and every time my success has been determined by my goalie. I can see a trade going through including Ennis, Kane, or even Lehner if you have to.

18. Hunter Shinkaruk

Hunter Shinkaruk Hockey god

Guhle is 80
    How long did it take you to write all that?

19. Hunter Shinkaruk

Hunter Shinkaruk Hockey god

Johnny, there's only one place where change is needed. Having picked a variety of players in most positions, you need a goalie. Kahkonen will likely be a Lehner 2.0 in terms of overall, but you don't want that, as Lehner as been the real problem. I've tried to tell you this before! Go sign a higher overall goalie in Free Agency.

Other than that, it was a good video. :)

20. Benlen17

Benlen17 Rookie

Johnny you goof, you should've traded Evander Kane at the deadline instead of waiting until free agency. He's a UFA now and you'll have to re-sign him if you want to trade him, which will really drop your GM rep and make it harder for trades to go through with other teams. At this point you should re-sign him and just put him on the block once the season starts.