Buffalo GM Mode ep 16 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

GM Superbman has his back against the wall, what should we do?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Superstar

Before season start: That's a good trade to boston bruins for Malcolm subban a elite goalie and nice trade to get backup goalie from san jose sharks martin jones. Grade of trade is A-

First reason: don't complain about morale move, it's just for locker chemistry boost. You need to play simulation per game for mid season. Keep eye on hold team meeting like for example, we keep losing streak or media try to distract for everyone.

Second reason: give kane some ice time for first line powerplay because his team line need help.

Third reason: What's problem was it's your third line because defense awareness and offense awareness wasn't that good. Another one: top two defenseman was good but your top four defenseman wasn't great because sean day was worst puck skills and senses.

Suggest and trades: I'm sugguest to trade Larsson or girgensons for high defense stats players to get 86 overall bo horvat but keep Nicholas Baptiste.
    Trade adam mcquaid for top four left defenseman and move sean day to pair with guhle. Both of them were worst puck skills and sense.

Send down estephan to go AHL because if you keep him until regular season, he will drop top six potential just like eichel. You need a depth on 4th line center for free agent.

Conclusion: I think your team was dynasty but you were giving up lot of goals. You need to improve Goal against average for team. Stay patience for team but it's still early. The captain of buffalo sabres is ryan o'reilly and assist captain is sam reinhart and victor hedman.

PS: For next video, try to sim before trade deadline. check your stats from team and player stats then ask everyone discussion what buffalo sabres need to now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  3. Brew22

Brew22 Legend 3 LEGEND

You're at the mercy of the infamous EA simulation engine. There's nothing you can do.

4. Deadliftbrosef

Deadliftbrosef Rookie 2

Honestly, screw this. You have a pretty damn good team and the simulation is killing you. Maybe try simulating game per game ?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

Johnny, you really need to pay attention to what the AI GM is telling you when they turn down deals. The reason they weren't accepting the deal with the 1st was because you were offering two players who filled the same need. It's a stupid rule that they turn down deals for shit like that, but it's a rule nonetheless.

Also, don't worry about moving Estephan up in the middle of the season. The player roles don't change until the start of the next season, so even if Estephan grows to 99 during the season, he won't drop potential or anything on the 4th line.

Lastly, getting a better top-6 right winger might be prudent. Move Sean Day (I know, but hear me out) out and get a better top-4 defenseman as well. Sean Day has 2.5 star puck skills and 1.5 star senses, and typically players in that mold in this game grow erratically and aren't typically the best simulation players. Basically, he doesn't have a good mold to work with.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  6. Kameleon

Kameleon Rookie

Hi, first time poster, long time listener of videos!

In my current Be A GM Mode: Vancouver Canucks, i have reached the Stanley Cup Finals 5 times (winning 3 times) in 9 years. Never missed the playoffs in that span. So I must be doing something right, who knows.

Anyways, your core group is very well established.
    Current Lines:

Eichel - O'Reilly - Reinhart
    Kane - Turris - Erne
    Larsson - Girgensons - Baptiste
    Kirkland - Estaphan - Khokhlachev

Hedman - Bogosian
    Day - Risty
    Ghule - McQuaid

Subban
    Jonesy

Pros: Prospects and Top 6
    • Your prospects will develop nicely, just try and keep an eye on their potentials and placements. If they're not producing, just switching them from LW to RW or something like that, just spice it up.(I find they don't usually develop a whole lot during the season - when they go up in overall its kind of like a combination of morale/current play - they will grow more during off seasons) That being said you may be missing 1 more year of playoffs but next year you'll have a stud defense.
    • Your Top line is a phenomenal top line. Even though Eichel isnt producing dont worry. Usually only 2 players will produce rather than all 3 (Dynamic Duo's yo).
    Cons: Bottom 6:
    • I think in the video it said Larsson, Girgensons and Baptiste were all -10(ish) each.
    • Kirkland, Estaphan and Kohklachev are all -1 which isnt terrible for a 4th line. Its mainly just your 3rd line that needs to be shaped up slightly.
    What I would personally do:
    • Try and find a top 4 defensemen and bring Day down the bottom 6 pairing. Trade McQuaid. You could get a top 2 to help out Hedmans slump but your prospects will be there in a year or two.
    • I noticed you have a lot of players in their "wrong" position, if you can say that. Try and find players that fit the bill perfectly. Your 3rd line left wing (Larsson) should be playing center, this could be throwing him off. Trade Larsson for a LW TWP (up to you whether 3rd line scorer or checker).
    • Khokhlachev is a center playing on the wing. If you can, look at Estaphan's role and see if hes still usable in the AHL (put him on every big line - 1st, PP, PK, Ex. Skater, Shootout) place Khokhlachev down the middle and find a 4th line RW that compliments a Power Forward and Playmaker.
    • Maybe even trade a couple first round picks for a second line RW stud and drop Erne to the 3rd line and Baptiste to the 4th line.

Finally: I dont think a lot of people do this BUT i think its worth it. Go into Team Strategies and look at your powerplay formations, penalty kill formation and all that. You can change how much your fowards dump/chase or carry it in or if you defense will hold the line/pinch. If you can work with that every few games (check your PK% and PP%) you might increase everyones gameplay and overalls.

New Lines?:

Eichel - O'Reilly - Reinhart
    Kane - Turris -
    New RW
    Larsson - Girgensons - Erne
    Kirkland - Khokhlachev - Baptiste
    Estaphan
    (AHL)

Hedman - Bogosian

New DEF - Risty

Day - Ghule

Subban
    Jonesy

Sorry for writing so much. Lots of helpful info though (i hope)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  7. Devin Weston

Devin Weston President Of Hockey Operations

Man the artillery & fire up the M1 Abrams. It's full speed ahead! :p

Just messing around Johnny. At this point, it's hard to say. Perhaps getting some grit on the 3rd or 4th line might help with the goals against.

If all else fails, why not manually rotate the goalies yourself by giving them a 2 loss ratio much like you used to do in your old GM commentaries?

8. Crosberry87

Crosberry87 Rookie

First post yo!

Won a couple cups with different teams after a lot of messing around. You're doing the same thing wrong that I did. You have to STOP MAKING SO MANY DAMN TRADES. If you leave the same group of guys together for a few seasons without messing around, the chemistry builds into the mid-high 80s and you win a lot of games.

Ignore the individual stats and put guys in their desired positions and ice time. Leave the team the same as much as possible, cut anyone that complains and let the chemistry build over 2-3 seasons. There's no way you ever get even close making this many trades every year no matter how good the team ends up.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  9. Erratic Luck

Erratic Luck General Manager

I suggest maybe move some guy around the lineup but I would hold off on any trade before your near the deadline.

10. Andrew Pinner

Andrew Pinner Rookie

Jonny khokhlachev is per-nosed
    coke-la-chev

also i would improve your defence

11. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

You know this hated EA Sports simulating engine is terrible and unrealistic so you have nothign to do But i suggest you switch up the liens up and also imporve their morale and they'll grow.

12. BladesTheBruin

BladesTheBruin Rookie

Swap Eichel and Kane in the lines. Like you say, the numbers are black and white, and Kane wants more ice-time. Maybe even throw Kane on a PP line

By the way, as a Bruins fan it hurts my ears and heart the way you say Khokhlachev
    Coke-la-chev

13. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Seriously don't make a single trade this year unless someone demands it. You need the chemistry to go up. Give Kane some first line time on 4 on 4 or something insignificant. Go day to day for a few months and pay attention to team meetings. Role with it and trust the team. It's the only thing you can do.

14. Josh Wright

Josh Wright Rookie 2

NO MORE TRADES, give your group more time to play together and the morale will go up and you make the playoffs in no time

15. Samee

Samee Hall of Famer 2

Just go back to old gen Johnny. This is getting absolutely ridiculous. the team looks like a Dynasty, but it's playing crappy right now. You have about 3 players over 90 overall, and 5 players 88+ overall. What a joke.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

I see everybody trash talking the gen. It's not that. It takes way more than good players to be good in new gen. It makes it more lifelike. Take the Anaheim Ducks for example in real life. Before the season started they were favored cup champs. But they had internal troubles with the locker room and coaching staff and they sucked out of the gate. It doesn't mean they didn't have good players. It was just moral and chemistry reasons. In NHL 16 it doesn't take a room full of 90-something players to win like in old gen. As Herb Brooks said while picking his team for the famous Miracle On Ice in 1980; "I'm not looking for the best players. I'm looking for the right ones." What you need to win in new gen is good locker room chemistry. That's something that Johnny isn't getting because he keeps shaking up the team. He's still playing like it's old gen. He and the fans need to adjust.

17. Tyler Carter

But the chemistry shouldn't destroy your team if you make one trade. One season, I had a retirement so I moved this depth player (78) off the team who wasn't even on the team the previous season. We'd won the Cup the year before, by the way. Anyway, following the trade, pretty much everybody on my NHL squad got pissed off and we struggled through a terrible season.

Point being: the simulation is all over the place. Morale was a nice idea but it was executed terribly. Morale should affect the sim but shouldn't control it, like it does. Yes, Johnny might have more success standing pat in the GM's chair, but it shouldn't be that way. I'll bring up the Ducks last season for an example. Mid-season we made a trade for Simon Despres, moving out a guy who was playing on our top-pairing in Ben Lovejoy? Did we shit the bed afterwards? No. On the other hand, when you take a wrecking ball to the squad like Bob Murray did this offseason, you're probably going to have chemistry issues.

What morale should do:
    • It should severely affect your simulation should you destroy the team like Bob Murray did.
    • It should severely affect your simulation should you trade away your captain.
    • It should somewhat affect the performance of a player if that player is playing on the line of his mortal enemy or playing on a line with his childhood friend.
    • It should only minorly affect (a) certain player(s) should you trade any player away. If I trade away somebody in my bottom 6 who's only friends with people in my bottom 6, my locker room chemistry shouldn't go to shit and I shouldn't start sucking because of that
    • It should be more rigid. One trade shouldn't be enough to bring down an entire locker room, and I should be able to keep a team solid 2 years in a row without having a single trade kill all our momentum.
    What morale shouldn't do:
    • It shouldn't control the simulation like it does. It needs to be less of a factor. A notable factor, but not the only one.
    • Players shouldn't complain so much about trades. It's a business (as one answer says) and though these are supposed to be professional hockey players, they act like drama queens.
    • It shouldn't be so based on how the team starts. In other words, there needs to be more and easier ways to increase morale besides hoping your team doesn't play like shit in the preseason.

18. Crosberry87

Crosberry87 Rookie

Be that as it may, if Johnny wants to win he's gotta play the game the way the devs have designed it.

19. Tyler Carter

Johnny's never been one for doing things that way. He tries to keep it realistic, which is why you don't see him even looking for cross-creases unless someone is wide-open in the slot. Realism also means that if his team sucked the year before, he makes some trades to address that. He doesn't make outrageous trades like taking Toews from Chicago. I'm not saying to quit this GM right now, but I'm just recommending to him that going back to old-gen might be more fruitful, at least until the simulation is less erratic. TBH, I haven't nearly enjoyed this series as much as the Ottawa or Arizona GMs, or the Dallas Stars livestream he did a while back. Next-gen GM just isn't complete enough.

20. ottawa senator

ottawa senator Veteran

Johnny, this might not make for the most exciting content, but it is they key to success in nhl 16. The longer you keep the same group of players together, the better they do. This game doesn't care about overalls, it just wants high chemistry and there's no way to get high chemistry without having a group of players that have been together for a while. So don't make any trades for the rest of the year, and the year after that. Your players will grow and veterans will decline, but this is the game that EA realised that teams don't just abandon guys when they hit 30, so having aging guys isn't a bad thing as they normally become prescences or leaders and help your chemistry a ton.