Buffalo GM Mode ep 16 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Jan 12, 2016.

1. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

It is not the players that are dropping the puck this season, it's the GM.

You are trying to go so fast to keep the videos short that you are messing up.
    Your trades could have been better but you aren't reading the messages on the screen.
    You're also have not taken the time to really get familiar with all of the options on your screens.
    You can do almost everything you need to do from the HUD page.
    You can advance day, make trades, edit lines, assign scout, check morale (all the way at the bottom of the list)... it's crazy what you can find if you take the time to look for it.
    You literally never have to leave that page between game 1 and game 82 unless you want to check a player's injury, progress report, or look at scouting reports.

Speaking of scouting, you aren't looking at the number of prospects in a region before scouting them (six weeks to scout 23 forwards, that's 2 weeks too long in my opinion, some would say 3 weeks too long.)

You also don't sim right, and you haven't from the day you started.
    People have tried for months to get you to do it right, but you don't listen or don't see their comments.
    This is not OLD GEN... this is NEW GEN... you have to sim from the HUD SCREEN not the Calendar screen.

You are missing a ton of opportunities to improve morale. Morale is the key to winning games. Happy players just plain play better.

As has been mentioned before, you get team meetings before certain situations including but not limited to rivalry games (Toronto), the first games of the pre-season, season, most playoff rounds (sometimes it glitches out and doesn't show up in the conference finals round).

I am not surprised you are failing at this GM mode because you are playing it like it was NHL 15 on old gen and you just can't do that anymore. If you do not evolve you will continue to fail.

Another point that I know I have made before, and others as well, is you have never changed your team/line strategy. Most of us have gotten a ton of flack from people who have been following you for a while whenever we mention this because they still assume that EA hasn't changed their game from a few years ago when someone told you line strategy didn't matter in GM mode.

But here's the thing, what can it hurt to change them? Your players will either continue to suck or they will play better.

As for what I have seen so far this year:
    The trade for Subban and Jones was fine, but you team defensive strategy is probably all jacked up so that's not helping them.

I still think you haven't used Larsson, Girgensons, or Kohklhachev correctly.
    Khoklhachev needs to be centering on your 3rd line with Girgensons and Baptiste.

You need to undo the changes you made to Eichel, it screws up the players production (I've tried it with a number of players and it never works out for me).
    You'll have to be careful when you reset Eichel back into a C PLY that it doesn't mess up his age, so save before you make the change, check it, and if it goes through correctly and doesn't turn into a 32 year old, save it right away.

I would put some serious thought into keeping 2 PLY on your 1st line with a SNP. Doing that would move O'Reilly down to the 2nd line with Turris and Erne.
    Most players will not complain about playing on a lower line if the team is winning, and/or they are not a douchebag.

Kane is a douchebag. He will complain until the day you trade is @$$. He is never happy, which is why I dropped him after the first season for his trade value to pick up a prospect.

Girgensons has never complained to me about playing down a line from where he "should be."

Also, your PP lines kind of suck. Again, this is not NHL 15 where you can load up the PP with shooters and get away with 1 Defenseman. In 23 games, Bogosian has 3PP goals, Khokhlachev has 1.

TLDR:
    I think you are just stuck with what you have for the team this year, make a few line adjustments, try changing your strategies (it can't possibly hurt, unless you pick crappy strategies and it actually turns out they do have an affect on simming, like some of us have been telling you), SIM FROM THE HUD SCREEN using the advance day button, and hope for the best. Then sim to the Trade Deadline:

1. determine if you are going to be a playoff team or not.
    if so,
    1a. show us all your players and their stats (both scoring and on their player card), it doesn't take that long.
    1b. show us some options on other teams so we can suggest trades to fit the answer to question 1.

2. If you are not a playoff team, throw in the towel on this one and start over doing things the right way (ie. no editing players to fit your position needs, dealing with morale correctly, etc.) even if it's with a different team.

Good Luck

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

I agree that chemistry does control probably more than it should, but it's still better than not having it at all. Even with it's flaws, new gen is still more realistic than old gen. I agree that the old gen GM Modes were more entertaining, but that's because Johnny knew how to play it. He was such a pro that he could do a GM Mode in his sleep. He hasn't gotten a handle on the new gen yet. Trust me as soon as he gets his groove his teams will be successful and the videos will be entertaining.

3. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

I agree with everything you said except for the end where you said to give up after this year if he's not a playoff team. That's quitting and I think he should use this GM Mode as kind of a sounding board. Figure out everything before moving on. He should stick with it for at least three more seasons.

4. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

The thing is, getting a handle on next-gen is not going to happen in this GM. The simulation is erratic and uncontrollable. I've gone 10 years now with Edmonton and I still can't get us to have back-to-back years where we don't shit the bed. Johnny's all for realism, but the problem is, it's nearly impossible to get your team to have one good year without bending the rules a bit. IMO, Johnny should go back to Legacy just for this year and hopefully NHL 17 you can actually build consistent teams.

5. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

I've played with Buffalo for 5 years and I've made the playoffs twice now. I believe that it is possible to win if you know how to play. The keys to success in my experience are high locker room chemistry, and putting players that like each other on the same lines.If you keep the players happy, they will produce. I agree that new gen is a little rough around the edges and will get much better in future years, but it's still playable.

6. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

I've done Edmonton, and it's really hit and miss on whether the team does well. If nobody gets too old, it's usually fine, but it's so hard to maintain a good team via trade without the chemistry going to shit. It's a good idea, and there are some good parts about it, but my point is, it shouldn't control me. It should add an extra element but I should be able to improve the team via trade without everybody hating on me for trading away their buddies.

7. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

You're there Domski, tell this goof Johnny to read the forums!

8. Sticks and bonea

Sticks and bonea Rookie

Amazing analysis as always and as much as I love this channel but I think he would rather complain about EA than listen to the fans.

9. Domski

Domski Admin 2BCProductions

10. ZUCC

ZUCC Hall Of Famer

First of all, try simming with the HUD screen. In my gm modes it works much better than the calendar screen because you never miss a player meeting or a team meeting. I think playing on next gem in fine, you just have to get used to it. As for the team, give Estaphan time in the AHL. Put Khohkhlachev on the 3rd line and take him off the PP. He is kind of ruining it. Also, don't make any trades for the rest of the year. In my gm modes, all of my players get along and my lock room chemistry is at 88%. It is so easy to get it there if you use the morale correctly. Also, no players' overalls are boosted, which is a minor problem.

11. Blueknight91

Blueknight91 Rookie

trade for another superstar for second line defence or a 3rd line offence