Buffalo GM Mode ep 18 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

We cant let this year get away from us. What should we do?

2. Deadliftbrosef

Deadliftbrosef Rookie 2

Are you ******* serious

3. Evgeni Malkin 71

Evgeni Malkin 71 Rookie 3

Johnny, make some blockbuster trades and get a superstar to make the playoffs. The superstar could be a loan.

4. TheGhostBear53

TheGhostBear53 Veteran

The Buffalo Sabres vs Boston Bruins round 1! This team has all the makings to go on a legendary under dog run just like the LA Kings did! Buffalo has it all the depth the offense the defense the GOALTENDING!!!! This is our year boys! Boston better watch out!

5. rickets

rickets Rookie

Damn, Sam Reinhart with 0 PIMS

6. JayHabs17

JayHabs17 Rookie

johnny pominville had 28 goals put him back on the third line, he could be clutch, baptiste will be fine on the 4th line

7. JackEichel15

JackEichel15 Rookie

Trade me at draft for a defensive first line forward because Reinhart and O'Reilly are getting all the points and are not letting me, a sniper, get any points.

8. ZUCC

ZUCC Hall Of Famer

What a season Johnny. Finally the sim engine goes your way

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

Buffalo sabres has made playoffs since 2011 against boston bruins round one. Also, you scared us when your post a bad happening because buffalo sabres is out of playoffs but no.
    Good job to everyone.

Also, gm superbman did good job after four years to start rebuild. NO fire. Stay buffalo gm for least four more years.

Second reason is give pominville on third line because his clutch and score 28 goals. Baptiste will be fine in 4th line but give him a penalty kill only 4 on 4 because his defense awareness was 85.

Third reason: check the player stats playoffs every round. who's good or who's not produce.
    Also, keep eye on hold team meeting either first day of playoffs, lead series, trail series, elimination series and end of playoffs series.
    Another reason: are you turn on injury in a playoffs or not.

When you sim next day. Press play game and press twice button then say view opponent line and see what boston bruins line look like.

keep eye on AHL regular season if ahl team didn't make a playoffs then send aaltonen and kutak for depth injury but if americans make a playoffs then don't send them in and need more development overall boost.

aaltonen, kutak, palmu and birkholz might be ready for NHL next season.
    If any players who didn't do well in a playoffs points then trade them on draft day.

GOOD LUCK!

10. MrGuy9021

MrGuy9021 Pro

That was some clutch stuff with your team playing just to keep you from getting fired.

11. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

I would say for the playoffs you need to assign a captain and I would give it to Sam Reinhart without a doubt. Who has been the best and most consistent player? Who has thrived in his role for only 6.75 mil a season? Who has done everything to be great? Reinhart. Give him the C and I would say give Hedman and ROR the A's.

I also still strongly believe Eichel needs to be moved. He's 88 and making 6.5 mil a season at 23 or something years old. On paper he should be great. However, he has not had one satisfactory season and his offensive awareness is only 86. As a complement first liner, he's great. However, you can find complement players that are 85 and making 3.75 mil a season easily. Eichel is turning into a modern-day Alexandre Daigle: he is vastly skilled but under-preforming and has a ridiculous contract. It wouldn't be a problem if he was making 4 mil a season, but 6.5 mil is too much. Also, how many players on your team are making more than 6 mil again? Turris, Hedman, Reinhart, O'Reilly, Eichel, and Kane. The 6 million dollar players kill you if you have too many and you have too many. It's not a problem for right now, but in three years it will be a disaster. Please, trade Eichel for a player around his age with a lesser overall and a better contract (and preferably a sniper like a Val Nichushkin or an Andre Burakovsky.) Again, he's not bad for what he is, but he has a bad contract.

12. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

Jesus, Johnny is blind as hell.
    It's actually painful to watch him sim from the calendar screen.

He missed almost every team meeting, only getting lucky he saw the one against his rival team (Toronto).

Sim from the fracking HUB screen!!! Advance day, it's not difficult.

By the way, Skinner only grew by 3 because he only played 27 games and was the AHL backup.

That said, congrats on making the playoffs you get to keep your job... for another year.

You're going to get killed in the playoffs, and not because your team isn't good enough.
    You're going to get crushed because you miss meetings.

Positive reactions to team meetings in the playoffs can really make or break your run... but you don't sim from the right screen, so you never see them.

Even if you get passed Boston who has a better goalie in Rask than you do in Subban (great trade storylines here; Subban, Pysyk, McGinn, McQuaid, Khokhalechev, Talbot all traded over the past year.) you are going to be decimated by your Round 2 opponent, unless they are Montreal (which you probably can beat). I don't see you making it passed Toronto without Rivalry Team Meeting bonuses. And everyone from the Metropolitan division has a better record than you too, so you are playing away games for the whole post season making winning those crucial game 5 and 7's much more difficult.

Looking forward to next season, you're not in as good of a spot as you would think. You have no Defensive prospects coming up, so you are stuck with what you have. Your prospect forwards are not going to have the defensive stats you need. And finally, you said you need more out of your back end players (defensemen). That won't happen until you adjust your team strategies on the LEAGUE Tab, because for some reason the default is pretty much garbage.

Hedman did not have a good year. End of Y3 to end of Y4 he went -5g -8a for 13 less points with a -24 net change in +/-; he may lose OVR because of that.

Bogosian and Ristolainen both were on the plus side in goals and assists, but did come in with -1 and -2 net change to their +/- respectively. Despite this, I can see Ristolainen losing 1 OVR and going to a 83 because of ice time, but you might get lucky and he stays the same. Bogosian should stay at 87 with this level of production, worst case he could lose 1 OVR for age, but at 28-29 that would surprise me.

The good news is both Day and Guhle are ELITE potentials and had decent first years so I would expect them to come in around 85-86 OVR by the start of next season.

A heads up on Pominville, I would not be surprised if he retires after this season (36 years old currently).

Aaltonen could take his 4th line spot, but his success will be dictated by his defensive category stats, which don't look good at a glance (3 star Def Category overall).

Over the last 60 games (ie. since the horrible start to the season):
    Reinhart picked up 53 points (17g 36a +12)
    O'Reilly picked up 48 points (17g 31a +5)
    Eichel picked up 42 points (19g 23a +9)

Kane picked up 41 points (18g 23a -1)
    Turris picked up 38 points (7g 31a -4)

Erne picked up 28 points (8g 20a +7)
    Girgensons picked up 24 points (6g 18g +6)
    Baptiste picked up 20 points (9g 11a -1)

Larsson picked up 14 points (3g 11a -5)
    Estephan pickup 12 points (5g 7a -4)

*Simmonds and Pominville can't be calculated because we have no reference point.

What this shows is your 4th line is still a problem. You are giving up too many goals when they are on the ice. Nothing you can do about that now, but in the off season you need to figure out how to stop the bleeding. I recommend getting players that have good defensive category stats (like I have recommended so many times before). 3rd line Checkers make perfect 4th liners.

Larsson has consistently been a minus player for you over the last 4 years and will continue to be one because his defensive stats suck. I'd think about trading him during the draft for a pick or a prospect. I would do it sooner rather than later because he started the year as an 84 and ended the year as an 83.

Estephan should be ready for 3rd line next year. Because of that, and given Girgensons defensive stats and how the first 3 years of the sim have gone, Girgs may be a good 4th line center if he doesn't go up in OVR rating (he dropped from 85 to 84 over the course of the year). Doing this would be another reason to trade Larsson because he and Girgensons don't play well on a line together.

If Girgensons does grow, you need to find a solid Top 9 potential player around 84 OVR that is a 3rd line Checker to center the fourth line. Their Defensive Category stats need to be really good, 85+ in Def Awareness, Shot Blocking, and Stick Checking. They shouldn't be slow as hell because they will draw penalties if they are, and you will need them on your PK for extra ice time to keep them happy and their stats up so they don't drop in OVR over the years.

I'd take a look at Kutak on your AHL squad. He won't have the 85 OVR, but might have the other defensive stats to hand centering the 4th line, but he also may be a long shot. If he cannot handle it this coming year, maybe the year after -- but only if you force him to grow a bunch by making him AHL 1st line center next year.

For their rookie year, Erne; Estephan; and Baptiste did alright. I would expect all of them to continue to grow after the playoffs. I suspect they will each grow 2 OVR at most. Estephan is the only one who may grow more because of his ELITE potential, but since he only averaged around 9 minutes per game and racked up 6g and 9a for 15points and a -5 plus minus, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good Luck in the playoffs.
    My prediction is you get knocked out in Round 1 if you don't sim from the HUB screen, Round 2 if you do.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. FantasticFIN

FantasticFIN Rookie

Hold-team-meeting.jpg
    This was already on Youtube comments couple videos ago, but clearly you didn't read it or noticed it. I think you missed at least two Team Meetings since you didn't focus whats on your screen. Simulating with hub screen is slower, but then you shouldn't miss player or team meetings. Otherwise looking good finally.

14. Habs nation 1998

Habs nation 1998 Rookie

Johnny you gotta fix your 4th line! In settings change Larsson's natural position to a LW, it will mess with that lines chemistry if you have a center on the wing. Also expect Reinhart to win the Lady Byng this year.. 73 points no PIMs

15. Erratic Luck

Erratic Luck General Manager

Good job making the playoffs, it should be a entertain 1st round against the :bos.

16. Fethdar

Fethdar Rookie 2

I posted on Youtube but I'll post it here. A couple of people on this board already mentioned but you are missing TEAM MEETINGS and you DO NOT have to go to the Morale Sub Menu to find them.

Johnny - Congrats on saving your job by making the playoffs! If you take a look at 23:29 of this video at the hub you'll notice a TEAM MEETING on the menu right below your ratings. This is where meetings pop up if you simulate from the hub by using the "Advance Day" option. TEAM MEETINGS are more important than the single player meeting because it affects multiple players.

17. dillweed969902

dillweed969902 Rookie

Just so you know for future reference, on the right hand side where you can go to advance day/player moral, if you can hold a team meeting, it will tell you at the top of that list. Hope you see this ;)

18. BurnzieHasaHotbeard

BurnzieHasaHotbeard Rookie

19. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Johnny first of all, I was shocked at how successful those trades were. So good job. Second of all, Boston is tough because of their stellar goal tending so make sure your offense is up to it. Here's what I suggest. In real life, NHL teams don't make one set lineup and role with it for many games at a time. They rotate on a game to game basis. So shake up your lines game to game based on CHEMISTRY. If you go to player morale, you can see who each player likes and dislikes. Pair them according to that and they will produce. That strategy will give you the boost you need to beat Tukka Rask.

Good luck! I really cannot wait for the next video.

20. Kened

Kened Rookie 2

Johnny congrats on making the post season. I think you should move Pomin P back to the third line. Estephan will be fine for now. Pomin-P has 20 something goals and is a great bottom 6 forward. Also, look at your PK, Boston is known for being dangerous on the Powerplays.