Buffalo GM Mode ep 18 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Joughy

Joughy Pro

Johnny, if you want to see the other teams lineup, click play game, not simulate, and go to edit lineups, from there, press Y and click view other team I believe. Go Sabres.

2. Vinny

Vinny Coach LEGEND

Johnny, if this were real life you'd be fired. In a heartbeat. I think it's time you get fired now from this Buffalo Sabres series now. In all honesty Johnny, I haven't enjoyed this series as much as I enjoyed the Arizona and Ottawa ones. Those series I feel had excitement and fun in them, but for the GM mode on that garbage game NHL 16, not so much. I think I speak for the majority of the community, not myself, when saying that we demand a new GM Mode series on NHL Legacy. It's for the best

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  3. King Alfie

King Alfie Veteran

For viewing other teams lines, the only way to do it is to click 'play game', then choose the jerseys like you normally would, then click 'edit lines', then click 'edit lines' again, then click the 'Y' button and click 'view opponents lines'. That's the only way to view other teams lines. *LIKE SO JOHNNY SEES*

4. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

This is a rough season for buffalo sabres year four. Time to decide johnny. fire the buffalo sabres and another snub to join Vancouver canucks or try to another reload offseason buffalo sabres. It's up to you GM superbman.

5. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

I don't think he would be fired as the GM after taking a bottom 5 team for three years in a row and catapulting them into the playoffs tied for second in their division. He has obviously made the moves to put the talent on the ice.

That said, I am not surprised the team got rocked in the face in round one.

As I predicted, no team meetings and he wasn't making it out of round one. Sure enough he missed all the important ones.

He even said, "hey look a team meeting" and then never held it.

Beyond that Evander Kane disappeared in the playoffs. No goals for him, O'Reilly, Reinhart, Baptiste, Girgensons, or Pominville. Rask ate them alive.

As for going back to NHL Legacy, I am not for that. If I wanted to see that stuff I would just watch the old GM Modes again.

If Johnny would take the time to just learn this game, he would be doing better and this would be far more entertaining.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

Well, look like buffalo sabres year four offseason could be reload after cap space issue. I know pominville will be retire. Which players should trade in offseason.

7. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

Post Season moves:

It's time for Kane to go, he isn't producing when we need him to and our leading scorer isn't even a sniper.

Snipers are nice but they are not the be-all-end-all players on your team. You team can be just as effective, if not more so, with a TWF - PLY - PWF line set up.

I would consider moving Bogosian as well. Day and Ghule are going to take his spot.

You are in dire need of Defensemen prospects. There may be a defenseman in this 2019 draft that ends up being bananas good (he'll be Elite potential and reach 99). He'll also go early (top 5 to top 10). In my GM mode his name was Bradley Calvert but I am thinking that was a computer created name. Either way you need a Defenseman and you may as well shoot for someone in the top 10.

To get that pick you are gonna have to give up a bit to get it. But you think you're going to have cap issues so offloading some players is needed anyway.

Because of your lack of depth in the AHL you ought to draft heavily this year (iirc this is a good year for prospects but I'd have to go back and look to be sure).

And you really need to start planning for the future by mining the Free Agency market for young talent that could make up your 3rd and 4th line.

This is something that you should have been doing from year one but have failed to do.

If you sort by potential and select players between 18-22 with green top 9 - bottom 6 potential --- AND THEY HAVE GOOD DEFENSIVE CATEGORY STATS --- you will be in good shape.

Doing this allows you to bring your 1st and 2nd rounders in on the 3rd line when they are ready instead of stunting their growth with a year playing 9 min a game on the 4th line.

With the core you have, you can probably limp into the playoffs for the next few years while your prospects develop.

8. CanadianHockey

CanadianHockey Pro 3

Johnny!

You got to start editing your team strategies, they make a massive difference.

I didn't touch mines for multiple seasons and they all ended up being mediocre. Started off a season 12-12-10, then after editing the strategies my team went 32-8-8.

Adjust the team strategies to fit your players attributes!

If your team overall is fast, go with a more aggressive forecheck and defensive zone play.

My team PP was godawful seasons prior with the exact same roster and set up, changed it to Shooting and messed around with the carrying/dump in and got a 27% PP at the end of the year.

Then when you adjust your individual lines, keep blocked shots maxed out and energy/efficiency almost maxed out to the right side.

Everything else such as shoot/cycle, overload (most skilled players), pinching, holding etc decide it based on your lines attributes. Your first line for example would benefit from more cycling and overload play.

It really makes a difference Johnny, I've tested it multiple times and I know there was a couple comments recently on the videos telling you to adjust the strategies.

Oh and I've also noticed that if the team is on a massive steamroll, destroying nearly every team most players not playing their favored role will be satisfied.

9. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

I can't agree more but he is stubborn as a mule and won't do it.

10. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Johnny don't make any huge trades. Chemistry's fragile as it is after releasing Pominville. I know you'll be tempted to trade Kane but don't. He's fine where he is. You need to move a center and it will probably have to be Estephan. He hasn't been on the team for as long as say Girgensons and so he won't mess up the chemistry as much. Also, before you trade ANYONE, check their locker room chemistry with other players. It will show you who will be most affected by a potential trade. For example; if you trade Bogosian, but he has high locker room chemistry with Subban, Subban will play worse and become less happy to play for you. I've seen it get so bad that they'll ask for a trade. So just tread carefully. Also that defense situation is just bad luck. However you solve it, play Day on D pair 1 with Hedman. I guarantee you he will show a lot of growth.

11. Slapshot Tommy

Slapshot Tommy Superstar 3

Find a team that can give you a Left handed bottom 6 D man and a 4th LW and a pick for Larsson and Zach.
    It may be worth while looking around the league to see where Vlasic ended up signing, he may be a great addition to the bottom 6 if you are swapping him for Bogo.

12. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

Buffalo's Bottom 6 (+1) and what to do with them:

Filip Kutak
    23 years old
    82 OVR PLY
    Defense Stats are REALLY good.
    This is a guy that can hold down a 4th line center position for 4-5 years without blinking an eye.
    Johnny mentioned that he wasn't sure or keen on having a PLY for his 4th line Center, but you can't look at him as a soft hands playmaker.
    While his Offensive Awareness is 85, which is pretty good, his passing is 77, so he is not going to be racking up apples like Reinhart.
    His other Puck Skills stats are passable for a 4th liner, as is his Shooting stats.
    Skating-wise he is right where a 4th liner ought to be as well, with an 84 speed and an 87 Acceleration.
    Physically he leaves some to be desired, with 77 in Body Checking and a Durability at 79 (but that doesn't matter because Johnny turned injuries off).
    Finally, his potential puts him at a low chance of making Top 6.
    You can read that, given his current age and OVR, that he will likely never get to Top 6.
    His is probably not going to make it to the 3rd line, simply because of his terrible passing.
    But he will make a great 4th line centerman that is focused on defense, which is what you want on your bottom two lines; good solid defensive players.
    Playing him another year in the AHL won't raise his OVR any more, and would just waste an opportunity to get him up into the NHL where he could potentially pick up 2 more OVR before he caps out at 27.

Nicholas Baptiste
    24 years old
    84 OVR PWF
    Defensive Stats are decent. 87 overall but shot blocking and stick checking could be better at 81 and 78.
    If you are going to keep him, after this year or even at trade deadline, you will want to see growth there.
    Physically, he can lay the body with 89 in body checking, and has good speed and acceleration.
    His shooting stats are good, and his Puck Skills are getting better.
    One of his best attributes is his Discipline at 80, he won't be taking many penalties which is good.
    He still has 2 more years of potential growth.
    Keeping him on the third line gives him the chance to do that, but I don't actually see him reaching Top 6.
    He is a 3rd line guy for you now, and in the future.

Johan Larsson
    27 years old
    84 OVR TWF
    He isn't going to get better.
    His growing days are over, so he is what he is; which in my opinion isn't worth keeping.
    His shooting stats are mediocre at best with Power maxing out at 86 and his best accuracy at 85.
    His Defensive stats, like Baptiste are decent, but unfortunately (and unlike Baptiste) his shot blocking and stick checking never got better.
    All in all, Larsson is a middle of the road player all over.
    He does nothing especially good.
    While he is listed as a Top 6 potential, he will never play on the 1st or 2nd line.
    He is a bottom 6 player now and in the future.
    I personally would trade him away because I think you have better players available, and he has shown consistently he is a liability on the ice with successive years of being a minus skater.

Adam Erne
    24 years old
    84 OVR PWF
    Much like Baptiste, Erne has two years of growth left.
    And much like Baptiste, he doesn't have the kind of stats to support moving up to the 2nd line anytime soon.
    Unlike Baptiste, his Defensive Stats SUCK.
    83 overall awareness, but 74 and 77 for blocking and stick checking... terrible.
    His shooting leaves much to be desired, and his Puck Skills need serious improvement.
    The good news here is, he has 2 years to get better.
    The bad news is, he ONLY HAS 2 years to get better.
    And because his potential has dropped from Top 6 to Top 9 he will likely cap out at 85 OVR.
    I would not expect much more growth out of him.
    Because of that, and his horrific Defensive Stats, I would move him now while his trade value is good for someone with better Defensive stats.

Giorgio Estephan
    22 years old
    84 OVR TWF
    Estephan has a few things going in his favor that may let you overlook his lackluster defensive stats.
    1. He is a high possibility of becoming an ELITE skater.
    2. He is only 22, with 4 years to reach ELITE status.
    3. His Skating stats are going to be insane by the end of this year, or next; he already has 99 Acceleration and Agility.
    4. His Shooing skills, while they still need work, will also be really good by the end of this year or next. Power is almost maxed out.
    5. His Deking is really good, which will be needed for Shootout wins.
    However, there are some holes in his game.
    1. Much like Erne and Larsson, his Defensive stats leave quite a bit to be desired. The good news is you can get away with less then stellar defensive stats on the 2nd line, unfortunately he will not be playing on that line this year.
    2. His faceoffs aren't awesome.
    3. His passing is pretty bad.
    The good news is, all of those things can change if he gets the ice time to gain the XP needed to boost them up.
    My recommendation, Estephan centers the 3rd line this year; he needs more than 9 minutes of ice time per game (like he had last year) to continue to grow into that 90 OVR player he can be.
    Next year you may want to throw him on the second line to force more growth.
    Potentially, I could see him starting next year at 86-87 OVR, and the following year at 88 OVR.

Zemgus Girgensons
    25 years old
    84 OVR TWF
    The best thing about Girgs is his Defensive Stats. They're just solid.
    Other than that, much like Larsson, his is pretty middle of the road. And much like Larsson (and Erne) he will never make his Potential Top 6.
    That's mostly due to not being groomed properly and being stuck with that @$$ clown Larsson for multiple years and ending up a minus player.
    With roughly 1 and a half years left of growth (not knowing when his birthday is) he may pick up another 2 OVR for a cap of 86 at best.
    I wouldn't count on him getting over 85 though.
    I would put him on the 3rd line with Estephan, since Giorgio needs to have strong defensive players around him to make up for his lack of defensive stats.
    And because if you put Kutak as the 4th line center, Girgs would be wasted on the 4th line.

Jani Aaltonen
    21 years old
    84 OVR PWF
    Another ELITE potential, though his probability is only medium.
    I would actually run Aaltonen on the 3rd line with Estephan and Girgensons.
    His defensive stats help make up for Estephans lack there of, and with Girgs on the other wing, they can always have someone dropping back to help out the D when Estephan gets in too deep.
    All of his stats are on the rise, so now is the time to strike with him.
    The more ice time he gets the faster that growth is going to continue.
    A year on the 3rd line and he will bounce up to 87 or 88 by the start of next season, if all goes well.
    Because he is 21 you could probably get away with 2 years on the 3rd line if you had to, but any more than that would stunt his growth.

Ultimately, I think you move Larsson and Erne now.
    This makes room for:
    Estephan to Center the 3rd line
    and Girgensons and Aaltonen to support the 3rd line with their defensive stats.
    And Kutak to Center the 4th line with Baptiste on his right wing.

Doing this would mean picking up a player to fill that LW spot.
    This can be a LW or a C as I have found, it really doesn't affect the game outcomes if a Center plays out of position.
    Also, you don't need to worry so much about people complaining about icetime as long as you are winning games.
    The morale they get for winning outweighs the loss from lack of icetime, both in value and in frequency.

When selecting the player to fill this spot, my recommendations are:
    A Grinder or TWF with excellent defensive stats (minimum 85 overall, shot blocking, and stick checking).
    I'd aim for a minimum 82-83 OVR on this particular player.

To sum up:
    L3: Girgensons - Estephan - Aaltonen
    L4: TBD - Kutak - Baptiste

If you really want to leave Girgensons on the 4th line, and choose to have him roll with Kutak and Baptiste (which would give you that TWF-PLY-PWF setup that is nice). You should aim for another solid defensive stats 3rd liner; perhaps a PLY to go with Estephan and Aaltonen both of whom should be growing out of their 3rd line roles this year. Whoever you put with them though needs to be able to pass the puck well, and defend well (both things Estephan struggles at). If you go with a PLY, I'd make him the Centerman and move Estephan to LW.

** SIDE NOTE ** Do NOT edit skaters to change their position or player type. This really should never be done. It just messes up the character, and can sometimes turn them into 32 year old, ruining their career and all your planning.

DEFENSE:
    At this point, I think the clear decision is to offload Bogosian at some point this year.
    I don't think you should do it right now. He would make for good mid-season/trade deadline trade fodder to sure up any holes you have.

Things To Think about:
    Don't just go and give people more ice time on special teams (PP/PK) because all that does is make those lines weaker than they would be if you just put the right players in the spots to begin with.
    Your top 2 lines should be getting your PP icetime anyway, so the PK should be used for your best defensive players (No matter what line they are on, but typically this will be your bottom six guys with some ELITE 1st liners as exceptions because their stats are just that good.)

13. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. You can't go trading away an Elite potential youngster just to keep Girgensons. That's just goofy from the word go. Larsson is far worse than Girgensons and Estephan given that Larsson won't be getting any better. If a Center has to go, it should be him.

As for morale being affected by trading people, it's only bad if you don't win games. Winning games solves a whole lot of butt-hurt feelings. I say, make the moves you need to make with your forwards, hold off on making defensemen changes for now (until Bogosian starts to bitch, or the trade deadline whichever comes first), and move on with the season.

By the way, your morale always bounces around after the season/playoffs and then after preseason. Your team chemistry is only going to matter after the last preseason game. And for the love of God, sim from the damn HUB screen by advancing day and hold your freaking meetings. Jesus, getting you to do that is like trying to teach my dog French.

14. CanadianHockey

CanadianHockey Pro 3

And Johnny,

I'm quite positive that the team strategies have a positive effect on morale as well.

Which ultimately effects team chemistry.

Your most important attributes to deciding strategies are Skating, Sense, and Puck Skills.

15. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

You're right. I really should have looked into the individual stats a bit more. I agree with your plans for the third and fourth lines but I think the chemistry will suffer.

16. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

Trade of year five is pretty good but I think 3rd line forward not good.
    Switch nick baptiste to 3rd line right wing. Also, put elhers on 2nd powerplay line of 5 on 5. Overall, your team will be back to winning.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  17. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

The beginning of year 5 was painful to watch.
    Everything was going great until you picked up Ehlers.
    Did you even look at his defensive stats?!!?! Holy cow their bad.
    Three stars, to begin with -- that should be a red flag.
    His 86 defensive awareness would be great if he knew how to block a shot which at a 68 I'm pretty sure he doesn't.

When you pair two skaters with 3 star defensive stats you get really, REALLY, bad thing happening -- as we see.

I wouldn't even keep Ehlers on the team.
    His terrible defense is going to straight up KILL the 4th line, if you try to move him there.
    That's because of who you traded Larsson for.

Because Larsson was a double digit minus for the past two season, Khavanov is actually an upgrade in that respect... but he is still a -5 with 47 games to go.
    Much like Ehlers, his defensive shot blocking is atrocious.
    The some-what good news is his defensive stats are 4 stars, which should eventually be better than Ehlers (in a few years).
    That, coupled with the strong defenders on his line (Kutak and Baptiste) have kept his +/- from getting out of hand.
    That said, it is higher than I would like to see at this point in the season.

Bad defensive stats are a cancer that you have to remove or your season is over, and I am not being hyperbolic about that.

You really need to bring in some STRONG defensive forwards to sure up those lines, stop the goal scoring bleeding, and get back to winning hockey games.
    Just having 85+ defensive awareness isn't good enough.
    They must have the whole package, Awareness, Shot Blocking, and Stick Checking, or you are just wasting your time.

You had the right idea with getting a PLY to get Estephan and Aaltonen scoring, but you have to get the right guy, and really can't do it at the expense of defense.

As for the Bogosian trade, it could have waited.
    We keep telling you that they won't complain for playing down a line - as long as you are winning.
    You could have waited to trade Bogosian, and you probably should have.
    The trade itself was alright, it's not great, and I certainly don't think he is the reason you are losing.
    Still, I think you could be doing better defensively right now.

If I counted correctly, you have lost 6 games by a single goal.
    It may not seem like much, but any defensive drop can be the difference between having 23 wins under your belt right now instead of the 17 you actually have.
    For perspective, 23 wins right now would put you in first or second place in the division.

Eichel and your 1st line:
    Around this time in all of my sims, Sam Reinhart has a single crappy year. Something weird happens. A funky anomaly where for one year his shooting drops to 5-6%, he can't pick up points, it's just a mess.
    Thankfully it only lasts one season and then he is a champ the rest of the time he is on my team.
    That may be what is happening to him this year.
    I see no other explanation for why your first line is not producing, it's their third year together.

As for Eichel. I know people wanted him to be a 90+ OVR immediately, but he will get there.
    The kid is still 22 for crying out loud.
    88 OVR at 22... yeah, I'll take that.
    Just sit on Eichel for now, it will pay off.
    He may not grow much this year (because of what is happening with Reinhart), but a stellar year next year and he will be 90-91 by the time he hits 26 and he reaches his "prime".

Two final thoughts:
    1. You are going to need to be Johnny on the Spot with stuff to make the playoffs this year.
    You have to hold your team meetings. I can't state it any more clear than that. If you keep ignoring your teem meetings you are robbing your team of that potential advantage going into games your could win but don't. And not missing a team meeting is as easy as following the last point I want to make...

2. SIM FROM THE DAMN HUB SCREEN. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.
    It's really not hard.
    Just, advance day.
    Never miss a team or player meeting again, unless your are blind (which you kind of are).

To sum up:
    1. Trade Ehlers and Khavanov for REAL Defensive Forwards (It's a weak year for prospects which means outside the first 5 picks, these prospects aren't going to be worth a damn -- time to offload one of thsoe Draft picks if you want to.).
    2. Sim from the HUB screen
    3. Hold your damn meetings

18. King Alfie

King Alfie Veteran

All you guys that keep insisting on team meetings. FUCK OFF. They aren't necessary, they CAN help, but they aren't the end all and be all. I won 4 straight Presidents Trophies and 3 straight Stanley Cups, and didn't hold 1 team meeting. That proved to me that team meetings aren't necessary.

19. Gill14

Gill14 Rookie

Draft this Matt Malhotra guy he is a defencemen in his 3rd or 4th year he got up to a 93 overall

20. NextGenGMJay

NextGenGMJay Rookie 3

What a bunch of horseshit. Of course you didn't need to hold a team meeting if you won four presidents trophies in a row. That proves to me that your team is incredibly stacked.

My current team has 4 forwards at 92 or better and 2 defensemen at 90 and 91 and I haven't even gone four presidents trophies in a row (full disclosure: I have won 3 out of the last 4 though). And I'm about to start year 2031.

Johnny's team on the other hand looks nothing like ours, The talent level is far inferior and he needs to rely more on additional bonuses to up his chemistry which has a direct effect on how many games you're winning.

Nothing like comparing apples to oranges to make your point asshat.