Chatbox Rules & Banning Explained

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Domski, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domski

Domski Admin 2BCProductions

Tonight was a crazy night. We had nearly 200 people in the chat and at those times it can get chaotic. Users start spamming images and other nonsense. First off, we want everyone to enjoy themselves on the site. The chatbox should be full of fun and laughter; however, certain posting habits can ruin this and cause annoyance for everyone else. Here are some rules to abide by to promote a healthy chatbox.

1) Do Not spam images/smilies

I have added lots of images located in the 'smilies' tab. These are fun to use but should NOT be used to spam the chatbox. For example, lets say the Leafs score...

THIS IS SPAM & something seen often.

:goal:goal:goal:goal:tml:tml:tml:tml!!!!! GOALLL!

There is no reason to post like this. I understand people get excited but this is seen as spam. Depending on the type of post you make limit yourself to 1-3 images per post. If it's the same image only post it once.

THIS IS OKAY - Use images this way

:goal :tml Score!

That's all that is needed. Much simpler without the excess, unneeded Spam. When the chatbox is full with 50+ people it can get crazy and image spam will only annoy users.

2) Do Not link streams

We have collectively decided that we do not want people linking streams to live sports or other content. Without getting into too much detail, it's potentially dangerous clicking links and is illegal to promote & link streams such as this.

3) Do Not Promote your own threads

The chatbox is not a place for you to link your own threads, youtube videos, or anything else. You can talk about anything but self promotion of this kind is not allowed.

Banning Explained:

If you get banned from the chatbox the chatbox and tab will no longer appear for you while you are signed into your account. Banning is there to get rid of trollers/spammers while giving users a second chance later. Banning times work as follows:

• 1st Ban (No access for 1 hour)
      • 2nd Ban (No access for 24 hours)
      • 3rd Ban (No access for 1 Week)
      • 4th Ban (No access for 1 Month)

I encourage everyone to do there best to follow these rules as it will promote a better overall chatbox. If you notice users breaking these rules tell them to stop. You guys have power in numbers to help the chat.

Thanks for helping to improve the site.

Domski

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    • Like x 35
    • Agree x 14
    • Informative x 10
    • Useful x 5
    • Winner x 2
    • Dumb x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  2. MostValuableGamer

MostValuableGamer Veteran

Thanks for the info Dom

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Tpop

Tpop Veteran 2 LEGEND

I Appreciate it Dom, it gets tough to tell people not to spam. Hopefully most everybody sees this thread!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. ConnorJames99

ConnorJames99 Hall of Famer LEGEND

Lets be honest, when will they ever score :p

• Funny x 22
    • Like x 6
    • Winner x 5
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • List
  5. BOInc33

BOInc33 Guest

I agree on everything you said Dom, except for the promoting threads thing. I think users should be allowed to show their written threads to be able to get responses on it and further the NHL discussion. However, if people start to spam it and promote threads that are off topic, they should be warned or banned. Except for that, I completely agree with these rules!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  6. Xanlet

Xanlet Rookie 2

Thanks Dom, the spamming can really get out of hand sometimes!

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

Thank you for posting this, Domski! Much needed and should now be absolutely crystal clear for everyone.

Also going to point this out, because I know it's coming: THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO DISCUSS THE LEGALITIES OF STREAMING. We have been through this with members in the chat, but it has been decided by Domski and Johnny that the site will not permit the linking of streaming sites. There's no reason for a circular and pedantic argument about the semantics of the legalities of streaming. At the most basic level, it is still pirated content being streamed, therefore it is not going to be acceptable on this site. End of discussion.

What purpose does it serve to promote your own thread in the chatbox? The people who want to respond to it will find it anyway, so it really serves no purpose to post it in the chatbox. The forums are filled with active and enthusiastic members, so rest assured that if your thread is engaging enough to encourage an active discussion, it will indeed be responded to. There is no need whatsoever to link to it in the chat.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  8. BOInc33

BOInc33 Guest

Thanks for the response! I see what you're saying, I just like when the chat has new ideas. Plus, sometimes threads get overlooked. In the end though, this is a rule that will not be changed.

9. Karma

Karma Superstar 3 LEGEND

Yeah the team logo and goal spam was getting a bit excessive. Especially when multiple people were doing it at once. Glad this is being addressed :p

10. Teloch

Teloch Legend LEGEND

While self-promoting in every way is now officially banned from the chat, I'd still imagine there's some wiggle room there? Starting a stream on Twitch and telling about it in chat with a link oughta be allowed? Talking about one-time link, not spamming it every 15 mins of course.

11. Freddy The Goat

Freddy The Goat Superstar 3

sorry Domski before i had spammed the chatbox with images and thanks for this post

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  12. Ricky G

Ricky G Rookie

I completely agree thanks for the info

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Patrice Bergy

Patrice Bergy Legend

Okay! Just one question, what if you made a poll using strawpoll, can you post that?

14. Blues Clues

Blues Clues 2BC Elite

Sounds good Dom

15. FGCHippoGamer

FGCHippoGamer Legend

Good job on that. I hate spammers too :)

16. Barzy

Barzy Hall of Famer 3 LEGEND

I'm not domski but I doubt it

17. Thanks! I was getting away from the chatbox a lot because of spammers and trolls. As Pgen once said when he replied to one of my threads, it would be a good thing if you added multiple chatboxes, every chatbox having a subject in particular.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Felixeur

Felixeur Rookie

I dont agree with the goal thing. I mean as long as it does not exceed 1 line it should be considered fine.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  19. It's really annoying to me. :goal :tml Is fine, but things like: :goal:goal:goal:goal:goal:goal:goal:goal:goal:tml:tml:tml:tml:tml Everytime a team scores is really annoying. Except if it's REALLY important, like when the Sens tied it up and won it against Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. MrEagleyee

MrEagleyee Rookie 3

Thanks pal..spam is good sometimes though

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
Thread Status: