Chatbox Rules & Banning Explained

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Domski, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Myer

Jack Myer Hall of Famer 3

I told you I was extending it. Right now, it might be an "until further notice" ban.

2. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

WTF does that mean?? and why the hell are you extending it? if its because i disliked two of monahans posts @PGen98 gave me a warning and i since then undid the dislikes and even apologized. i think i deserve to be reinstated.

3. Jack Myer

That's not why. You continued to troll in the post that has gotten many, many replies on my profile.

4. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

what is your definition of trolling???!????!!??! in that post i was simply trying to get you to understand that the ban that i had previously received was over and that i should not have been banned in what world was that trolling?? just because you may not like someone it isnt a reason to ban someone. thats a typical example of abusing your priviledges.

5. Jack Myer

I'm going to stop responding to this so I don't say something I'll regret later. I'll respond when we can get a response from @PGen98

6. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

well isnt that convinient you two never seem to be on at the same time. and how is that even going to help YOU'RE the one who banned me why cant you just unban me yourself its easy just admit that you were wrong and PRESS THE UNBAN BUTTON. posting on your profile to get an understanding of why i was banned is not a good enough reason to ban me until further ****** notice whatever the hell that means.

7. Jack Myer

8. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

i dont see what your problem is? all i wanted was to be treated fairly.

9. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

I'm here, what's needed?

10. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

i dont see what your problem is? all i wanted was to be treated fairly.
    plz just keep an unbiased opinion

11. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

apparently @Jack Myer needs your help to unban me

12. Jack Myer

I need no one's help, I want a second opinion.

13. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

what do you need a second opinion for?? you banned me for no reason, now the ban is over so unban me….

14. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

Ok, I've tried to go back through all of this and see what's going on, and my takeaway is this:

The chat was progressing in the same vein it usually does (something that, again, really has to change), with people being stupid. During the course of the stupidity, lil.diddler made remarks of a questionable nature and gets the typical "you're a goof" insults thrown back at him. In response to that lil.diddler called people "retards," a term that we don't necessarily want to see used in any context on the site and is banned. After serving the ban and being unbanned, Jack notices the fact that lil.diddler is unbanned and decides the punishment did not fit the crime, banning him again.

Is that the about right for the situation that led to this?

My opinion -- Jack was absolutely right to ban you the first time, as a means of sending a message that terms like that should not, and will not be tolerated within the forums or chatbox (no, we're not always online or present in the chatbox to see when this happens, but we do tend to act when we do see offensive terms thrown about). However, I don't particularly agree with extending the ban, granted I do not know what Jack saw happening that warranted him to re-ban you. If there was something, it hasn't been mentioned here and I don't have the timestamps to check the logs to find out what was going on, so I have to assume it was simply Jack seeing you posting in the chat (if that's inaccurate, please correct me [either Jack or lil.diddler]). That being the case, I'll reiterate that I don't particularly agree with the ban being extended.

That being said: lil.diddler, your actions since being banned, specifically the responses to Jack's profile status, are concerning. I understand you're upset about still being banned after serving the initial term, and I understand you're here now trying to get that fixed; however, there is no reason to go after Jack or anyone else who responds to that stream of comments with insults or attacks. It's an ineffective, and damning tactic that only makes your stance weaker. You're right to come here, or to start a personal conversation between you, Jack and even myself to add a third opinion, but constantly posting attacking or distasteful comments in public places to try and draw attention to your issue is not the right approach. Argue your point in a mature fashion, state the facts and keep it civil, then we can take both sides of the dispute and make an informed decision. There's no point, and no logical reason, to continue attacking Jack or the others who responded to those comments just because you're upset about something, that's an easy way to ensure that nothing changes.

Now, having said all of that, my opinion as to what should happen next is ultimately going to be just that, an opinion. Mods are given discretion to ban when bans need to happen, and since I was not present while everything transpired, I cannot speak as to whether or not Jack exercised that discretion properly. I will say, however, that my personal choice at this stage would be to end the ban and both go your own separate ways. It's then completely up to lil.diddler to keep his actions at the level of civility expected for participating on this site, knowing full well that we're watching and perfectly capable of taking action when needed. Further unsavoury comments can easily result in bans of an escalating nature, so it's entirely up to lil.diddler to keep himself in check. As I said, though, this is simply an opinion, and if Jack feels the ban needs to continue, it is up to him as he is the one that was present at the time and saw what transpired.

15. Jack Myer

Part of it was that I've been dealing with a lot of other crap today, and I shouldn't let that affect this situation. I'll unban him, but I'll be keeping a close eye on him.

16. lil.troller

lil.troller Guest

initially jack myer banned me because he thought that the ban of another mod was not long enough it wasnt even him who banned me the first time or unbanned me and as for me insulting the other people who commented on the profile post if you go back you will see that they had all insulted me prior to me insulting anyone. the whole time i was just trying to plead my case.
    anyways im glad we have this issue behind us. thanks guys.

17. MasterMatt23

MasterMatt23 Hall of Famer 2

Awwwwww. There goes the fun :p

18. HabsFan17

HabsFan17 Pro 2

What else bans are from the site other than the chat box but love the idea dom

19. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

i can post here?

20. Karl GZ

Karl GZ General Manager: CHI Blackhawks

No, you can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.