Disgruntled Employee - San Jose Sharks GM Mode

Discussion in 'GM Mode/Live The Life' started by Orrad, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Orrad

Orrad Rookie 2

After the latest roster update, I decided to do another GM Mode with the San Jose Sharks. The only change I made in year one was to sign Chris Higgins and Dainius Zubrus for depth (mainly so the rookies got more time playing in the AHL). Well we made it all the way to the finals and beat Tampa Bay in game 5 for the cup. Brett Burns won both the Norris and Conn Smythe.

Right before the draft, Joe Thornton and Dainius Zubrus retire. I have an ok draft, and resign all the players I need to. Going into year two, I have about 5M in cap space (I was able to resign Patrick Marleau for one year at 5M, Melker Karlsson did not want what I was offering, so he left). At this point everyone seems happy, I sign some players to boost my AHL squad (honest minor league players). I sim to the start of the season (past the pre-season). Assign players to their respective leagues, and all of a sudden, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Brenden Dillion and Joel Ward are pissed. Dudes! We just won the CUP! You should still be on a high!

I trade Vlasic to Arizona for Oliver Ekman-Larsson (they wanted to get rid of him, he was apparently disgruntled there) and Dillion for Luke Schenn (again, same deal, he was disgruntled as well). I had to add in a draft pick for it to go though. Arizona ended up dead last in season one, and had the first and second overall picks in the draft. They took Nolan Patrick and Maxime Comtois 1st and 2nd respectively.

Vlasic and Dillion would rather be moved from the best team in the NHL to the worst! Maybe they missed Thornton? I know Dillion was listed as a top 4 defenseman, and I was playing him on the bottom line. I was playing Vlasic with Burns on the top line (speaking of Burns, he jumped up to a 94 overall). Maybe they were unhappy that Melker did not re-sign. I cannot remember what I did with Ward. ;-)

After simulating the first month of season two, I checked in with Vlasic and Dillion. Vlasic went from a disgruntled 85 overall to a happy 91, Dillion went from a disgruntled 81 to a happy 84 (where he was when I started). Ekman-Larsson is sitting at a 90 and Schenn is an 83. Arizona is still losing more than they are winning (last in the pacific) while the Sharks are 1 point behind Edmonton. Go figure!