Series Franchise Mode - Discussion (Toronto Maple Leafs)

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Domski, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

If you're going to the season with Andersen - Bibeau tandem, I'd suggest signing an AHL goalie. Maybe bring Chris Gibson back to Toronto, he's 79 overall and currently mStarter.

2. Brady Hacks

Brady Hacks Rookie

You should sign Goaltender C. Gibson in free agency. He is Medium backup potential, he only wants $0.975, he is 79 overall, and 26 years old. He would not be a good NHL backup goalie but he would be a better AHL starter than Sparks. He also only wants a 1 year deal so you could always drop him to FA next year if one of your prospect goalies are ready to play in the AHL.

3. LerxstMachine

LerxstMachine Rookie 2

Maple Leafs goaltender situation:

As you all know, Johnny has released Jhonas Enroth from the roster, and it is assumed that Antoine Bibeau will fill in for the back-up goaltender spot. However, with Bibeau being called up, it is questionable on how GM Johnny will handle the AHL G situation. Johnny is looking for a good starter for the Marlies so it looks like Garret Sparks (75 overall as of now) will be a back-up on the AHL squad. Another important note is that Johnny will not be signing his 9th overall 1st round pick G Patrik Spacek and his 5th round pick G A. MacKie which is a smart decision because they will be able to grow in other leagues and not rot as a healthy scratch on the Marlies. Now, GM Suberbman just needs a starter for his AHL squad. Here are some rumors/opinions:

- Christopher Gibson:
    - Gibson was recently released by the Islanders in this GM mode. He has medium backup potential with a 79 overall rating. He is 26 years of age (not too old, not too young) and is asking for $0.975 for 1 year. This is good because Johnny could drop him to free agency next year if one of his prospect goalies (Spacek, MacKie) is ready to play in the AHL. Another important thing to note is that Gibson used to be in the Maple Leafs organization but he was traded to the Islanders for F Michael Grabner at the start of the 2015/16 season... could we see a return?

- Kevin Poulin
    - Poulin is not a popular option compared to Gibson but its an option nonetheless. He is 28 years old and will not be expensive to sign (asking approx. $0.750 for 1 year). An important factor of signing him will be that if Frederik Andersen or Bibeau get injured, he can be called up without worry as Poulin has NHL experience from being on the Islanders (albeit he hasn't had that experience in a few years aside from brief stints with the TBL and CGY organizations). The only problem is that if he ever does get called up, he may be placed on waivers if he is sent back down. However, I don't see any teams wanting him.

-Trading:
    -If for any reason signing a goalie does not work, you can always trade a cheap draft pick for an AHL starter. Here are a couple of ideas:

1. Michael Hutchinson
    -By now, the Jets have a solid goaltending core already with Connor Hellebuyck and Eric Comrie, which leaves Hutchinson in the dust. By acquiring him, he will fit right into the AHL starting position. He is 29 years old with good NHL and AHL experience. A plus to this is that he won't put a scratch in your salary AND if Bibeau fails the task of being a solid backup, you have Hutchinson ready to go. The only issue is the years left on his contract which may be 1+ years but that is unlikely.

2. Kristers Gudlevskis
    - With the Lightning having Ben Bishop and Andrei Vasilevskiy as the fixed starting-backup tandem, the chance of Gudlevskis seeing the light of day in the NHL is unlikely. He has established himself as a solid AHL starter for the Syracuse Crunch and he has low trade value so you can trade cheap for him. He also does not have a high salary (under 1 mil.), is 27 years old, and is most likely on the last year of his contract. As a starter for the Marlies he will not be overplayed and will give Sparks a chance to grow himself.

Thank you.

(Sources: Wikipedia, Herald, Enzo Amore, comments section of Toronto Franchise mode ep. 20)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  4. Saud

Saud Veteran 3

I think you made the right decision in trading away Kadri. Sure he has talent,but he needed to go.

5. Tuukka for Vezina

Tuukka for Vezina Rookie

Johnny,
    At the trade deadline I think you should take a look at Tampa Bay's fourth player down on the block, Jason Garrison. He is an 83 overall veteran defenseman with one year left that could round out your top 6 nicely, and his trade value is low. Also you try playing Carl Grundström on the fourth line in place of Greg Belfour. Carl is a slightly better overall and has medium top 9 potential at 21 years of age, which, while it is the same thing as Belfour, would be growing a 2 way forward instead of a grinder to a hypothetical top 9 spot. In the meantime, Leafs for Presidents 2020

6. LerxstMachine

LerxstMachine Rookie 2

Yesterday, GM Superbman and The Maple Leafs signed G Linus Ullmark to a 1 year $0.925M minor league contract.

Ullmark (25) and 78 overall will start for the Marlies.

Attached Files:

7. Tuukka for Vezina

Tuukka for Vezina Rookie

Johnny,
    there was absolutely nobody on the Franchise Mode Chat that wanted Taylor Hall. So what do you mean by unanimous decision? That trade was a Goofball McGundy move that made absolute zero sense for the Maple Leafs. You could have gotten Jason Garrison and filled out the third D pairing for a lot less, but instead you went for a stud forward that you can't get back next year and cost way too much, not to mention your constant complaints about having "too many forwards." You also ultimately stumbled through the rest of the season post-Hall trade. Let's hope that it pays off in the playoffs. On a more positive note, unless it looks like you will have the space to bring him back, you can always flip Hall for a first and change come the draft, regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

8. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

In round two against panthers for playoffs.

Time to change a line please.
    Van Riemsdyk- Matthews- Marner
    Hall- Nylander- Kapanen

Put Reilly and Carrick together right now. change up the Power Play and penalty kills units

9. Stinkytank

Stinkytank Rookie

Johnny! Two things: Bibeau was in the net for the third game. Weirdly enough.
    And, CHECK YOUR STRATEGY! For all we know, you might have a super defensive dump and chase kind of tactic. You need to adapt your strategy after what kind of players you have in your lines.

10. LerxstMachine

LerxstMachine Rookie 2

Johnny, try to re-sign Bibeau for less money than he wants. You've got nothing to lose by offering what you want. If he declines then I suggest signing Gibson, Hellberg, or Manzanec because they are asking for less than 1 mil per year.

11. devilsfan313

devilsfan313 Rookie

Johnny, I feel as though your job with the Maple leafs is done. You have created a dynasty and have won the cup 2 times. You should probably start a new franchise mode soon, probably after this season. Im thinking: Vancouver, Calgary, or Carolina. Carolina is in the midst of a rebuild, Vancouver needs to rebuild, and Calgary has some young guns and some veterans. Also, Calgary and Vancouver are failing and Carolina is also in the bottom 10. I believe you haven't used any of these three teams in any of your GM modes yet. "My two cents"

12. Dion Phagoof

Dion Phagoof Superstar 3

His job isn't done, and he has used Calgary and Vancouver.

13. LerxstMachine

LerxstMachine Rookie 2

I think he should go for 1 more cup with the Leafs to make it an even bigger dynasty. Also Carolina GM is a good idea.

14. LerxstMachine

LerxstMachine Rookie 2

IMG_0073.JPG Round 3. Leafs vs Isles gonna be a great series.

15. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

Gm johnny superbman: I'm look at st Louis blues because they don't have prospect much. Second, I think center core need to rebuild and bottom six forward.

Eastern conference: I think you should going to Detroit red wings because I think they are going to rebuild. All of veteran will be retire on year one. Also, red wings prospect doesn't have a lot. They have all of ahl top forward and defenseman as well.

Carolina hurricanes, they are rebuild team but stack of prospect. It's up to GM superbman.

16. LerxstMachine

LerxstMachine Rookie 2

Johnny, once I heard you mention the isles for your next gm mode I knew they were the right team for you. Our gm Garth Snow ain't doin sh!t and we need GM Superbman more then ever... clearly you know how to make a dynasty from your Maple Leafs gm mode, and the isles are looking to make a new one just like they did in the 80's. I believe you are the only one who can do it. I can hear all isles fans are cheering for GM Superbman to BRING BACK THE DYNASTY!

17. Connor Mcbust

Connor Mcbust Rookie LEGEND

18. Connor Mcbust

Connor Mcbust Rookie LEGEND

Halak on waivers. Garth Snow can't run a hockey team. He is prob the worst gm in the league. Gm superb man, make the islanders great again!

19. hawkboy96

hawkboy96 Rookie

Johnny can you do the Canucks or the Caps or the Jets?

20. santa Clawz

santa Clawz Rookie

Do the Canucks as you know they are a gahbage team and they are in dire need of new management, so it would make sense for you to replace Jim Benning. The team is trying to go for lord stanley but i think they forgot they are in the NHL, not timbits hockey. You need to fix up the team and add some of their prospects that aren't in the game like Brock Boeser and Thatcher Demko.