DAL John Klingberg, is he the real deal?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League' started by David Bondra, Nov 16, 2015.

Will John Klingberg continue this insane scoring pace?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

As it stands right now, Dallas Stars defenseman John Klingberg is leading NHL defensemen in scoring and is fourth for league scoring. Klingberg currently has 20 points (4 goals and 16 assists) in 18 games. Klingberg had 40 points in 65 games during the 14-15 campaign. Will he continue this insane pace though? I'm thinking that he will continue to produce at a rapid pace, but he won't finish with like 90 points. Klingberg has shown all kinds of offensive flair with his skating, passing, awareness, and especially his shooting. I am thinking that he will finish top-10 or top-15 for scoring among d-men at the end of this season based on his skill. As for the totals, I see 55-60 points easily reachable for Klingberg. Remember, this is a player who is able to do the following things:

In terms of sheer offensive skill, I think he is the real deal and I think that he will be tearing it up this year.

2. Leafs

Leafs Hall of Famer 2 LEGEND

While Klingberg is an amazing player, and will continue to rip it up for years to come, this pace doesn't continue. Dallas is on a hot streak right now, and all their top players are scoring a little higher than they'll end the season at in my opinion. Klingberg won't finish with 91 points (his projected total if he keeps up his pace, as you said), but I see 60-70 points as his reasonable range for this season, and probably for a few seasons to come.

3. Saint Patrice

Saint Patrice 2BC Elite

This pace? No, this is unsustainable for a player as new to the NHL as Klingberg. but he'll still put up an excellent 65-70 points, if you ask me

4. Uncle Ryan

Uncle Ryan Hall of Famer 2

Real deal as an NHL defenseman? Yes. 100% yes.

Real deal as a top 10 NHL scorer? No. Don't think so. He may just be hot now (as the entire Dallas team is) but I don't think he will keep this up. Maybe top 25 in scoring defenseman wise, but no where near the top for all of the NHL.

5. Scoracek93

Scoracek93 Coach

He won't keep it up this year, but he can definitely be in the range of 60-65 points.

As for the future, he'll probably dethrone Erik Karlsson as the NHL's best OFD. Dallas has themselves a gem.

6. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

We always get the good fifth rounders for some reason. Klingberg was a fifth rounder and Jamie was also a fifth rounder in 2007.

7. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

He's absolutely playing better than last season, but will it continue? It's WAY too early to even think about that. He'll probably have a slump, as everyone does, but he should still finish with a great number of points. Would love to see him finish at least in Norris contention, given how he was absolutely screwed out of the Calder last season.

8. TuukkaRaskfan40

TuukkaRaskfan40 Commissioner

Well he had Ekblad to compete with, but I do agree I'm sure there will be some sort of slump for him at some point in the season but he should be good enough to get within Norris contention

9. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

That would be nice, but he's not there yet defensively. He is certainly good defensively, but he isn't on like a Oduya level yet. If he can build off his offensive skill, he will be a Norris d-man of the future.

10. Uncle Ryan

Uncle Ryan Hall of Famer 2

I'd say the offensive skill is already there. Defensively he could be better. Wouldn't exactly say that offensive ability should equal Norris d-man.

11. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

In every statistical category he was better than Ekblad, and faced tougher opposition. He was completely screwed, and I stand by that! [​IMG]

True, but remember that the Norris does take a lot of the offensive aspects of defensemen into consideration, as well. I do agree he needs some work on his defensive aspects still, but I'd just love for him to get a nomination for the Norris, not necessarily win it (given last year's Calder snub). The kid's incredible, he's got to get him some lovin'!

12. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

Klingberg played well, wish rielly was like that then he's be insane :D

13. Hunter Shinkaruk

Hunter Shinkaruk Hockey god

Klingberg = Bobby Orr 2.0

14. DSC420

DSC420 Veteran 3

He's proven himself and is the real deal for sure, but really don't think he'll keep up with this pace. I hope so for my fantasy teams sake, lol. the guy is filthy

15. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

I just checked the fantasy rankings for d-men and Klingberg is second only under fellow Super Swede Erik Karlsson. Also, four of the top-8 fantasy d-men according to a recent NHL.com article are Swedes (OEL at 8 and Hedman at 6)

16. Scoracek93

Scoracek93 Coach

Fantasy rankings will always be distorted though since fantasy favors OFD.
    Besides, everyone knows that Klingberg is obviously not the #2 Dman in the NHL and I think most people, including myself, would agree that Karlsson isn't #1.

17. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

I know that, it's the only universe where Andrei Markov is better than Victor Hedman. However, to see him up there really shows how offensively dominant he has been so far this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.