Middle Earth thread

Discussion in 'Television, Film, & Books' started by Comebackkids, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leafs

Leafs Hall of Famer 2 LEGEND

You'll love them! The Hobbit is a great, fun read...pretty much a children's story, but has enough great content to make it enjoyable for any age. The Silmarillion can be a bit dry (lots of description and narration, barely any dialogue) - it's a 'big picture' book. It doesn't go too much into detail on any one character and their interactions with the other characters, but rather it focuses more on how they impact the world at large. Not that there isn't any character development, but you don't really get those small conversations and little moments like you do in The Hobbit or LOTR. But it's an amazing story, basically a history book of the most incredible world ever to exist. The storylines are epic, the battles and heroism give you shivers at times, Tolkien is so good at describing the glory of elvish lords and warriors of men and dwarves.

2. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

Is there a book about Arnor? I really want to know more about them.

3. Leafs

I think a lot of the info on Arnor is found in the Appendices Part A of the Lord of the Rings.

If you want a quick find, this site is super reliable (has all good sources) for anything Tolkien: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Arnor

4. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

I'm reading the Hobbit rn

5. Leafs

If anybody likes audiobooks, I'd recommend listening to Phil Dragash's unabridged version of the Lord of the Rings. The sound effects, music, the different voices he uses for all the characters...it's really good for one man's individual work, and I'd totally endorse it. Never listened all the way through (I'm a quick reader, so it drags on a bit for my taste), but if you prefer an audiobook to reading yourself, Dragash's LOTR is the best imho.

Also, you can download it for free, so that's a plus.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Leafs

Question.

Who's your favourite character in Tolkien's entire legendarium? Who are your favourites in Peter Jackson's film adaptations?

I'll go by each main set of books.
    - Lord of the Rings: Samwise Gamgee. What's not to like? He's incredibly loyal, humble, selfless, and kind. He's an ordinary person, just like us. The rest of the fellowship are all some form of aristocracy, but Sam is the simple gardener who we can all relate to.
    - The Hobbit: Fíli and Kíli. They do so much together, it's hard to separate them. Fíli's big nose, lines about hating apples, and the disgusting smell of the troll caves give him a little distinction, but their youthful exuberance and joy, as well as their willingness to help out, and how loyal they were right until the end for their uncle made them my favourites the first time I read the book.
    - The Silmarillion: Beleg. This dude is a total bad-ass. Best archer in all of Tolkien's legendarium, a master of the woods and forests. He's an awesome warriors who defends the borders of Doriath, and eventually befriends Turin. He comes to a tragic ending, but his heroism and loyalty to those he loves, as well as his general total bad-ass-ness make him an awesome character.

Now, for the movies.
    - Lord of the Rings: Legolas. I first watched the movie when I was six, alright, of course I like Legolas. Not only was he an insane archer with great fighting ability, but he was funny and witty as well. I always really liked, especially as a kid, how cool he was. He wasn't into all that "lovey-dovey" stuff with the girls like Aragorn was, and he wasn't a total buffoon like Gimli...he was always ready for battle, like in the wargs scene. While Aragorn and Gimli are busy socializing with Eowyn, Legolas is taking care of business. That's why I liked him in the movies. As I've grown older, I enjoy the characters of Gandalf and Samwise Gamgee more, but Orlando Bloom's Legolas in LOTR (not the one in The Hobbit movies, that version was atrocious), will have a special place in my heart.
    - The Hobbit: Fíli. He was one of my two favourites in the book, so of course he was my automatic favourite to be the favourite in the movies. The fact that he was as romantic and immature as Kíli, but more level-headed, responsible, and mature made me like him better than Kíli.

Runner-ups include Balin, Gandalf, and Bilbo in both the movies and books, as well as Fingon and Finrod Felagund in The Silmarillion.

7. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

Lord of the Rings: Aragorn
    The Hobbit: (so far it's Thorin)

Movies :
    Lord of the Rings:
    Samwise and Aragorn

Hobbit: Bard, Fili and Kili

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  8. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

What are your favourite kingdoms?
    Mine are Arnor (RIP) and Gondolin
    (As you can see I'm stuck in the past)

9. TRPS NaSHTY61

TRPS NaSHTY61 2BC Elite

Rohan or Gondor... Pretty simple choices for me lol. I don't know too much about the other kingdoms though

10. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

Even though it's history is a bit...meh...and it fizzled out relatively unspectacularly, I've always had a fascination with Angmar, mostly based around the emphasis on the Witch King, but it was always interesting to me. The way it suddenly formed, then conquered and dissipated, it was an interesting kingdom within the Tolkien lore.

11. Leafs

Really tough choice there. I really like Nargothrond, as Finrod is one of my favourite characters. It has an interesting history, what with it being formerly a residence of the petty-dwarves, then being shown to Finrod by Thingol as an act of kindness. Finrod's story where he leaves on a suicide mission to help Beren and Luthien recover the Silmaril and the ensuing power struggle between the corrupted sons of Feanor, Celegorm and Curufin, and Orodreth, Finrod's nephew is interesting. Then, when they build the bridge at the advice of Turin, abandoning their philosophy of secrecy it leads to their downfall. A tragic but interesting tale to say the least.

As for the third age, I really like Erebor. The Hobbit was a book I read a lot as a child, and I always wondered what it would be like to live inside a majestic mountain like that.

12. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

I finished The Hobbit, do I start Fellowship of the Ring next?

13. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

Yes, without question.

14. MasterMatt23

MasterMatt23 Hall of Famer 2

I really want to read the Lord of The Rings trilogy but I can't find anyone to borrow the series from. Guess I'll ask for giftcards for the local bookstore for Christmas

15. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

Anyone here play Lord of the Rings Online?

16. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

Back when I was in my mid-teens, I was really into Medieval Times and warfare. I liked the idea of using hand-to-hand weapons instead of using guns, so I was very much into Lord of the Rings. My favorite battle in the trilogy would be the Battle of Helm's Deep from The Two Towers. More recently, I saw the extended edition of Return of the King and I was very happy to see some of the deleted scenes nicely mixed into the main movie.

P.S. I still don't understand why they cut up Saruman's death. It was at the beginning of the movie and nobody was bored. Heck if it was for time, CUT OUT ONE OF THE BAGILLION ENDINGS!

17. Comebackkids

Comebackkids Legend 2

Anyone hyped about the new Beren and Luthien book coming out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.