Minnesota GM Mode - Discussion ep. 10

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, May 2, 2016.

1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

We need to make a big decision boys. We can't let this year get away from us.

2. NHL insider Calum

NHL insider Calum Pro 2

Keep the team, don't risk another Jagr! I know things are not looking great so far but the season is not over. Sharp would be a nice pick up but he will lose value in the next couple of years. I would allow the team to gain room chemistry as you made a couple of changes in the offseason.

Remember Yandle does not have forward experience, I recommend you place him back on the Defensive side and improve your D wall.

-NHL insider

3. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

Johnny. You need to get a 7th defender with your next trade. You're screwing Reilly over by switching him constantly between the RW and defense and RW and defense and so forth. Get some guy who's only 80-ish overall, but who could be a serviceable bottom-pairing defender should a long-term injury come around, such as the Brodin injury in this episode. It will also allow Reilly to adjust to playing forward.

Next, don't get Sharp. It has all the signs of a really, really bad move. You're a tweener team on the fringe of being out of the playoffs. Sharp is not guaranteed to change that. Additionally, as you don't have your 2nd round pick either, if you miss the playoffs after trading your 1st away, you're not going to pick until the mid-70s. Plus, Sharp is a rental that you won't be able to re-sign in all likelihood, so anything short of the Cup will likely be a bust for that trade and you guys do not look like legitimate Cup Contenders.

Lastly, don't ignore your PK. Even if your 5-on-5 defense is good, you can't ignore your PK. Fiddle around with it a bit. Anything below 80% is not going to be serviceable in the playoffs.

4. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Veteran 3

Johnny: keep your team but don't get sharp because same thing as ladd drop to 3 1/2 white stars potential.

First: I think you should trade some defense because brodin was injured now. yandle can't allow to play left wing. Maybe find a young 2nd line left wing. trade goligoski for worst opponent draft pick.

Second: you need a depth defense because in last episode. you don't have depth defense. Also, just keep your draft pick for no reason.

lastly: just ignore you penalty kill. your defense is doing great this season. Maybe powerplay should boost a little bit.

5. Areg Aprahamian

Areg Aprahamian Rookie

Rielly need to stay on defense. Dont switch him between defense and RW. Trade Scandella or Goligoski for a second or third line forward. Dont need to be Sharp, it could be someone else because you got Nino on the first line. and Sharp is to good for the second line.

6. Jeremy Selwin

Jeremy Selwin Rookie

What you really need to do is trade away Jonas Brodin, and your first round pick, for a winger that is in his prime, along with a depth fwd. There is no need for Brodin if he is gonna be injured every 5 games after he recovers from an injury. You team is going to get beaten up in the playoffs if Brodin gets another injury, so its better to trade him away for players that can help out in the long run. I prefer to get Gallagher along with Desharnais from Montreal . With this trade, you can put Gallagher on the 1st line, Niederreiter on the 2nd, Yandle on the 3rd and Rielly on defense. Deharnais could play on the 4th line than you can send spaling(or whoever) down to the minors. This way you have scoring for more than a year and you dont waste quality for rentals.

7. Rhynomite

Rhynomite Rookie

Every time you get to an All star game. Click to play on it and you can view the lines to see if anyone from your team has made the All star game. You don't have to play the game, but I think this would be fun to see and would open up the door for more fan art.

8. Wayne Simmons70

Wayne Simmons70 Rookie

Niederreiter isn't getting the job done. Ship him out at the trade deadline and maybe a pick or two for a younger winger. Daniel sprong or Andre burakovsky. They are both snipers. You can put either of them on the 1st line once they have developed. This will go good with grandlund since he is a center playmaker. put captain Keith At a D. Also you should trade Reilly at the trade deadline.

9. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

Get Burakovsky, He'll do well and don't switch mike rielly, keep him in defense. But don't trade away valuable picks.

10. 19ajb

19ajb Pro 3

Trade Scandella for a 2nd line sniper and drop Yandle back to D. You're wasting Mike Rielly's potential to be a very good defenceman by moving him back and forth from Forward to Defence.

While Sharp does look appetizing, I think that it would just be the same as getting Jagr, a rental player who would retire the next year anyway.

All you need is more goal scoring, but not if that sacrifices your defence.

11. BTHabs11

BTHabs11 Legend 3

I would wait until like a day before the trade deadline because usually around then more people become available to trade for. However trading for a guy like Sharp wouldn't really make sense as you would have to give up a valuable roster player to get under the cap and that if you miss the playoffs you wouldn't have a first round pick. What I suggest is to move Keith Yandle back to D and to really shake up the lines a bit or to maybe trade a depth guy in a swap deal so you could get a bottom line scorer like Tomas Jurco for example.

12. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

Do not get Patrick Sharp. He's just going to get worst and you'll need to give shit tons to have him and he'll probably be another Jagr. I suggest you get Mike Weber, who could be a great 7th defenseman in long term injuries like Brodin. Also move Keith Yandle back to defense, and let Mike Reilly in offense, so he could have a better development. Also move Niedereiter down to the 2nd and bring Charlie Coyle up, he's got a better season than him.

13. Jarrot Stolls Coke

Jarrot Stolls Coke Rookie

Give Ryan Garbutt Powerplay time! He has shown some offensive potential at least for goal scoring. Maybe he has some strange combonation of stats that earns him a lot of front of the net chances in the simulations.

14. ericheiderscheit

ericheiderscheit Rookie 2

Get some good penalty killers such as Johnny Oduya because I heard he is a great player to use on the PK. Also get a solid top 6 d-man.

15. ThatShawGuy

ThatShawGuy Rookie

Theres a few things I wanted to point out quick that are EXTREMELY easy fixes, and I have a few options for them as well.

1) Yandle and Reilly NEED TO REMAIN DEFENSEMEN!!!!! This cant be stressed enough... Just because they're OFD doesn't mean they're fully offensive minded players that just so happen to be in the defender slot... It's like putting Zod in goal instead of a forward...

2) Your 3rd line needs better muscle, and your 4th line needs ANY muscle... A shooting 4th line is ok but only if your 3rd consists of primarily defensive minded AND physical forwards, which is very rarely the case... One suggestion I have on this is use the trades to pick up a couple grinders and a physical TWF. The 3rd line is gonna need a defensive TWD, a shooter, and either a playmaker or power forward. I mentioned this in the YouTube comments in the previous video, but look into getting Tyler Ennis from Buffalo if you can. His trade stock shouldn't be near as high as previous games. If it's still too far up there, take a look at Surgei Kostitsyn (I don't remember if he's a 2nd or 3rd line player off hand) or Eric Fehr to fill that gap. Cody Hodgson is a great 3rd line center from Winnipeg that could help out if needed (with REALLY good faceoffs too for a 3rd liner) and Marcus Foligno would be a great add to increase some physicality to the team too.

3) BE PATIENT!!! take a look at the changes above that I suggested, but DONT GO CRAZY... I've made that mistake before in my own GM modes and I accidentally turned a contending team into a rebuilding team..... (yay NHL13....)

Another reason I mentioned BOTH Ennis and Foligno (other than being a Sabres fan, but that's honestly besides the point here) is because Foligno can swap between 3rd and 4th line time no problem, and Ennis can swap between 2nd and 3rd and still fit in perfectly. If there was a way to title Ennis as a "Mid 6 Forward" it'd be perfect.

Otherwise if you can do it, go for Van Reimsdyk. Perfect 2nd line PWF that could solve most of your problems, but it'll be entirely too expensive

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Cicchini98

Cicchini98 Rookie

I would consider trading Yandle. Even though he is an offensive defenceman, he wont be able to produce many goals playing the wing. Trade Yandle and Spaling to SanJose for Marleau and Wingles. They each have 1 year left on their contracts. Marleau is a 30+ goal scorer which would help your pp and be a great fit with a playmaker like Granlund. He will help out your pp and has a lot of experience (including playoffs). Adding Wingles to the trade gets you a gritty 3rd/4th line winger who can also play center if needed. Also, if any injuries happen, he is a guy you can move up and down the lineup to play in any situation.

17. AF Firefly

AF Firefly Rookie 2

If my memories are correct Darren Helm has good face off ratings. Think maybe he can play center?

18. Matt Murray

Matt Murray Rookie 3

This year NEEDS to be a cup run. Players like parise and maybe suter are going to drop after this season and you need to improve every little improvement to get the cup this year. After this year draft hard and get some young studs to make a future good team like the leafs have now.

19. kingofdundalk

kingofdundalk Rookie

1) I think trading for Sharp would be a good idea as a one year rental to try and make the playoffs and make a run for the cup, if you decide to go ahead and trade for him, I say trade Captain Keith because the defensive core looks good. Do not trade away any first or second round picks, but thirds and fourths may work. And if you have any decent prospects that you could trade away, I suggest looking into getting them into the deal if you need it.

2) At the same time you could also look into trading for a depth defensemen for the playoffs considering the way injuries have gone.

3) Don't just overlook the PK although the defense is doing great, come playoff time if you get in that could play a key factor in winning or losing.

20. YaBoiNickyT

YaBoiNickyT Rookie

Don't trade for sharp. This could be one of the last years you can make a run for the cup and by trading for sharp, you will lose a roster player who can help your future and a 1st round pick. In my opinion, you should stay content and wait for the poise to kick in. It might be in your best interest to move yandle back to def and trade some depth players for a bonofied 3rd liner who is around 27ish years old with some solid poise. Your team isnt getting younger so you gotta keep your draft picks around.