Minnesota GM Mode - Discussion ep. 8

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Johnny Superbman, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

What should we do in free agency boys?

2. MNWild91

MNWild91 Legend

I wouldn't mind getting depth guys like Darren Helm or Chris Stewart. But what about the possibility of signing Keith Yandle and putting him on the LW? You talked about the possibility of putting Mike Reilly on the wing, and I think that Yandle would do a better job, especially on the second line. He won't need as much money and doesn't want as long of a contract as Andrew Ladd would. It worked well for Brent Burns in Minnesota, why not try it for Yandle?

3. Brew22

Brew22 Legend 3 LEGEND

I'd grab Ladd and some other random depth upfront incase of injuries. Ladd is that playoff experienced guy that the wild could really use and he would replace Jagr on the top 6 nicely. He wants a 6yr deal which is scary, but you'll still get a good 3-4 years out of him before you'd need to trade him. Plus he doesn't want an outrageous contract so its not like you'll be screwed if he sucks. Also I would keep Kuemper over Hiller.

4. Mike landry

Mike landry Rookie

I think maybe going after some your talent would benefit the team. Or even maybe going after a proven 3rd liner that could help produce offense.

5. Sal Cusumano

Sal Cusumano Rookie

Hiller would be perfect, he's cheap for a backup, an he's much better than kuemper. Plus, if u get hiller, kuemper is a trading asset.

Bottom 6 depth is very important, remember in ottawa when u didn't have the greatest top 6, but u beat the blues in the SC because of your depth. Ladd wouldn't be bad, but make hiller and depth the priority

6. Cody

Cody Rookie

Johnny I know you said Andrew Ladd takes a lot of penalties but he would be a great replacement for Vank/Jagr plus you have the cap for him and he is a all star type of player that wants to be on a Stanley Cup type of team like the Wild. If you don't decide on picking up Andrew Ladd then you should get Darren Helm a young skater only 29 and would really help the bottom 6 maybe even the top 6 you never know. Like so Johnny sees

7. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

Your defense is really good in the NHL, but you should get AHL D-Men. Also I think Chris Stewart and Darren Helm would be great depth and maybe Andrew Ladd because of his playoff experience, even tough he has penalty minutes...

8. TWick72

TWick72 Rookie

Ladd would be a good pick up if you can get him on a shorter term contract or for less than 6 mil. Also Helm/Chimera good depth. If you play Mike Reilly as a fwd (not a bad idea) then pick up a depth D.

9. Capitals0508

Capitals0508 Rookie 2

Maybe pick up Burakovsky. Considering you have the cap space when you traded Vanek. I think this would be a good player to get because you need some goal scoring.

10. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Superstar

Well 2016 NHL draft pick is pretty good and jake kryski might be mid 90 overall.
    Free agent: sign SHOSHNIKOV, don't sign ladd because I'm worried he might drop to 3 1/2 white stars. Just sign Darren helm and some depth forward for left and right wing. Get eric cornel as center, he might jump to 85 overall.
    Don't need to sign free agent defenseman because you have a nice defense core in the future.
    There is no stud goalie in free agent. Keep kuemper as backup role.

11. Basement Dweller

Basement Dweller Rookie

Definitely sign Ladd. You can either put him on the right side or move Parise over to the right and have the two of them with Koivu. Nino can play with Coyle and Granlund, and that would make a decently rounded top 6. Chimera would also be a good option for a depth signing in your bottom 6.

12. HockeySteve

HockeySteve Rookie

• Don't sign Ladd for the money you'll be paying him and the length of the contract, you'll be quite unhappy with his point production. But hey, a 50 point guy is better than the empty hole the team has right now. Just know you'll be looking a the money and saying damn you should be doing more.
      • If you do sign Ladd, play him on the second line.
    • Sign Prospect Free agents
    • Getting depth is a great idea, like Luke Schenn and Helm.
    • No need for a goalie.
    • Question: Do Prospects grow better under contract?

13. Areg Aprahamian

Areg Aprahamian Rookie

Go for Ladd and Erik Cole. They are veterans who got a lot experience. Also trade Scandella and replace him by Mike Rielly. Prosser could be your 7th d-man. And go for hiller because he is 84 overall and cost only 2 million and if Dubnyk is injured, he can replace him. You could trade Kuemper or have him as your third goaltender.

14. Carolina Candy Canes

Carolina Candy Canes Legend 2

can you show the canes defense johnny?

15. Tierpuff

Tierpuff Rookie

Since your team is already good defensively and you had said you were looking for someone to help get your team some more goals. Why don't you trade for someone like kuznetsov. He is still young and is a center sniper. You could trade away a defensemen and since it's an east coast team it would not come back to hurt you. Washington also had there first line center in backstroke so it would make sense y they would give him up

16. BringBurnsBack2MN

BringBurnsBack2MN Rookie

Bringing back Brent Burns would be great! Though, I'm going to have to agree you're going to need a young sniper, or a depth player like Darren Helm. I'm going to say that getting Helm is almost like a must and everyone agrees with it.

17. Lights

Lights Superstar 3

You should get a good speed pelenty killer as Darren Helm. You should also go after a guy like Chris Stewart a good depth player that probably has decent poise. Then you should go after the typical extra depth players and shouldn't get Hiller save that cap for depth or Helm.

18. Kirk22

Kirk22 Superstar 2

Honestly Johnny, I'm not a fan of what you did in free agency and here's why: it's not realistic. You preach realism in this game by only making moves that make sense and I really like that, but then you go and do this and put two DEFENSEMEN into your top 9 forwards. I understand maybe putting one like Mike Reilly on the 3rd line who is an offensive guy and hasn't proven anything in the NHL as a defenseman, so he was the odd man out on the blueline and you had to put him there. Okay, I get that. But I think going out and also getting Yandle and moving him to forward was overkill and I doubt he would even agree to come to a team to be a winger for a few years. He's a pretty established defenseman in the NHL and I saw Buffalo was interested in him. He would have been a nice piece there to play with some of their younger guys like Ristolainen, and Buffalo isn't that far from his home state.

I usually agree with your moves but just giving my opinion.

19. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

Not a bad start for Minnesota, but there's a couple things you should probably do:

• First off, make a small trade for a 6th or 7th defender, ~80 overall, to fill in for injured defensemen. We can at least argue about the realism of converting two defensemen to forward but flip-flopping between forward and defense is not going to help Reilly or Yandle adjust any. Let Reilly stay in his 3RW position and get used to playing forward. Switching him back and forth will wreak mental havoc on him.
    • Once again regarding the defense. Reilly is doing fine thus far, but Yandle only has 2 goals in 10 games so far, and most of your top 6 as a whole is drastically underperforming. You guys are doing fine for now but the moment you start losing some changes need to happen, mainly to the PP. Garbutt has 6 goals so far; if he keeps it up, perhaps reward him with some PP time? Your special teams as a whole need some work and that 1st line could use a bit of a shake-up as well. Yandle needs to move back to defense in my opinion unless he starts producing better.
    • Put Darren Helm at center on the 4th line. I'm not sure what Spaling's faceoffs are at, but Helm I know has an 85 there
    • This last one is not a "do it now" thing but I think it would be a good idea to move Scandella before the draft. You guys could use some extra breathing room this offseason and moving a guy who's playing on the bottom pair with a 4M contract could give you that needed cap-space. Additionally, it would allow you to move Yandle back on D, where he'll fit much better.