BUF Murray and Bylsma fired

Discussion in 'National Hockey League' started by Kaljakori, Apr 20, 2017 at 5:21 PM.

1. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

2. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Not as surprising as many think. The writing has been on the wall for Bylsma for months. I was a little surprised at Murray going but I think what happened was that Pegula told Murray to fire Bylsma, Murray said it was a bad idea, and so they both got canned. It will be strange going into a new system, but it's not like anyone was doing the old system anyway. My predictions for the next GM and HC are Lombardi for GM and Phil Housley for HC.

3. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

Strange. I felt like Murray should've been fired while Bylsma should've stayed. He's a fine coach. Murray, on the other hand I feel went way too careless with paying guys like Okposo and Moulson, plus taking on Gorges. Maybe the most boneheaded move has to be Lehner though, he's been given way too many chances. He's not a solid starting goalie. He may be a good 1B-option, but he's not someone who can play 60+ games.

4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Superstar 3

I honestly think the Sabres need to pick up Bishop in the offseason. At the trade deadline, I honestly thought they were the team that most needed Bishop, only problem was that Tampa wasn't trading Bishop to an atlantic division opponent. If they get Bishop, that will turn their team's direction right around. Risto is great, McCabe is great, hopefully you can draft defensemen and Ghule can grow

5. Stephen A. Smith

Stephen A. Smith Hall of Famer

No more 4 words in the draft for Tim Murray.

Buffalo selects Alex Nylander
    Buffalo selects Jack Eichel
    Buffalo selects Sam Reinhart

6. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Goodness no the Sabres do not need Bishop. Lehner just finished 4th in the NHL for SV% and 5th in franchise history. I'm still not convinced he's the number one going forward but we have Ullmark who is going to be elite someday and Cal Petersen who has been above elite in college. He set an NCAA record for most saves in a game with 84. Goaltending is a non issue. And although a TON of people point out Buffalo's lack of defense and rightly so, we have a great pipeline coming up. Guhle should have played this season. And Fitzgerald looks to be very good. We're maybe one defenseman away from being very good.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Superstar 3

Didn't know about your goaltending depth. Thanks for pointing that out. You know your team better than I do

8. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

What? He had 92,0 this season. That's 12th in the NHL among goalies with GP of 25 or more. And, while I do think it's a shit stat, his GAA was 31st.

He's an alright 1B-guy, like I said and you have the goaltending depth for future.

But that future has to be within 2-3 years, if it's more, you've basically wasted multiple years of the prime of ROR, Bogosian, Ennis and Kane. Not to even mention that Okposo is already 29.

9. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

Bogosian is awful, Ennis is getting destroyed so much he's not the same player when healthy. Whoever becomes the new GM could trade these two and maybe Kane if we want to have a great 2018 draft, this draft looks awesome. I agree that ROR's prime years are going to waste right now though

10. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

My bad I wasn't being clear. Lehner and Nilsson as a tandem were the 4th best tandem in the NHL in terms of SV%.

Bogosian is not what Buffalo had hoped. He's at best a top 6 guy. We could keep him or he could just as easily get moved for somebody younger with a better contract or for a pick so that a prospect could make the jump. Ennis used to be so good. And sometimes he shows flashes of Johnny Gaudreau like brilliance but he's had 3 too many concussions. If he's not gone by the expansion he should get traded for a solid bottom 6 guy.

You're right that Okposo, O'Reilly, and Kane aren't getting any younger. But they're here to be veterans. We still have an EXTREMELY talented young core with Reinhart, Eichel, Risto, McCabe, Guhle, Bailey, Girgensons, Carrier, and Nelson. All of those guys are only going to get better. The Sabres are one or two good defensemen from making a Toronto-esque jump. Those two defensemen are in my opinion Guhle and Antipin. The Sabres are capable of much better things than were seen this season.

11. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

Didn't people say Leafs would finish out of playoffs, needing one or two dmen to top their roster? I don't know about Buffalo. On paper, they seem like a team who very should get to playoffs, but a lot of the time I feel the talent you have does not come through. Like something is holding your skilled guys back.

And I don't think Bogosian is as bad as you make him sound like. I think he's just fine for a 4/5/6-slot, with flexibility and, as far as I know, he can play special teams, too.