MVP discussion

Discussion in 'NBA' started by LaichItOrlovIt, Dec 8, 2016.

1. LaichItOrlovIt

LaichItOrlovIt Hall of Famer

Being a quarter of the way through the season, who would you say is the MVP so far?

Russell Westbrook
    [​IMG]
    The obvious answer to most people,, and rightfully so, is Russell Westbrook.
    He's averaging a triple double to this point with no signs of slowing down and may become the 2nd player to ever in the history of the NBA to do so.
    And on the advanced analytics side of things, he may also make more history. There are only 5 players who have had usage rates over 30 and assists rates over 40 for an entire season. Westbrook is on track for the first ever 40/40 season. If he can bring the Thunder to the playoffs and avoid serious injury, He is more than likely going to win the MVP.

James Harden[​IMG]
    Also another solid option. Like Westbrook, Harden doesn't have much to work with on his team yet is still putting up great numbers. Harden has been the more efficient scorer of the 2 and is averaging the most assists in the league with 11.5. He also been productive putting up 28.5 points per game and 7.6 rebounds. The switch to PG and a new head coach in Mike D'Antoni seems to have been great for Harden and has made him a good candidate for MVP this year.

Anthony Davis
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately for Davis, it doesn't look like the Pelicans will be a playoff team they have a 7-15 record and play in the tough western conference. However, Davis has been fantastic this season, he's leading the League in points per game with 31.6. With 11.5 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.8 steals and 2.8 blocks. Which is fantastic numbers up and down the stat line. Unfortunately though for Davis, With the Pelicans unlikely making the playoffs it's tough to see him being rewarded with the MVP.

Kevin Durant [​IMG]
    Durant has been the most efficient player in the league so far. Shooting 53% from the field and a .661 efg% which is above his numbers in previous seasons. He's always been an efficient scorer though. But with the Warriors this season,Steve Kerr wanted him to step up defensively this season since they are lacking a good rim protector and Durant has delivered Putting up 8 rebounds and 2 blocks per game. However being on the Warriors with back to back MVP winner Steph Curry hurts his chances of winning it this year. Still possible though.

Giannis Antetokounmpo
    [​IMG] The Greek Freak. He's been a machine on both ends of the floor. 22 points per game, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, and 2.3 blocks per game. Arguably a worthy candidate for DPOTY also. If the Bucks can make the playoffs and he can keep up this pace or even improve some on it, he will for sure be in the discussion for both awards.

So who do you have as the mvp so far, who will win it in the end?​

2. Kate Upton

Kate Upton Legend 3

Honestly I think westbrook will win it, I dont like his shooting % and his TOV/PG, but hes helping his team win games and thats undeniable. But with that said, Giannis has arguably been the best SF this season and hes the biggest reason the Bucks are winning games. If the Bucks finish 4th in the east carried by Giannis, I think he can win it.

3. Crossfit Jesus

Crossfit Jesus Legend 3

Westbrook's going to take it even if OKC doesn't make the playoffs. He may turnover the ball so many times but he makes it up with the triple double that he puts up almost every night. He's pretty much a motor that can't be stopped.

4. Kate Upton

Kate Upton Legend 3

He will 100% not win if OKC misses the playoffs.

5. Crossfit Jesus

Crossfit Jesus Legend 3

Yeah I figured.

6. Kate Upton

Kate Upton Legend 3

Then why did you say he would even if okc misses

7. Crossfit Jesus

Crossfit Jesus Legend 3

Cause I knew if OKC missed the playoffs he would not win. When Durant was injured that one season where OKC finished 9th in the West Westbrook should've won the MVP, but didn't cause OKC missed the playoffs

8. James Dunn24

James Dunn24 Veteran

It should DEFINITELY go to Westbrook without a doubt

9. Kate Upton

Kate Upton Legend 3

OKC gonna miss the playoffs

10. James Dunn24

James Dunn24 Veteran

"No"

11. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

Westbrook i should say. He's been incredible and that triple-double streak at 7.

12. Carolina Candy Canes

Carolina Candy Canes Legend 2

Westbrook because he is averaging a triple double so far...

13. G00N

G00N Pro

DeRozan.

14. Sam F.

Sam F. Hall of Famer 2 LEGEND

I see a lot of people saying Russell Westbrook, but I disagree. In my opinion, I think Kawhi Leonard will be able to win the MVP. Leonard is definitely one of the underdogs for MVP, but I think that he can do it. He's a very efficient player; shoots the ball well, playing great on the offensive side of the ball, amazing on the defensive side (2 time defensive player of the year), and he takes care of the ball only averaging 2 turnovers per game. Kawhi Leonard is an efficient leader of an efficient and amazing San Antonio Spurs team, and he would get my vote for MVP at the end of the year if he continues to play like he is now. You guys probably will call my pick silly, but if he does end up winning MVP, don't say I didn't pick him ;)

[​IMG]

15. Kate Upton

Kate Upton Legend 3

Makes sense but if you're thinking of Kawhi why not think of Giannis who I think has been possibly the best defensive player in the nba this year.

16. Sam F.

True, but the NBA MVP Voters would probably favor Kawhi over Giannis because the Spurs are having more success than Milwaukee, and the MVP Voters always love the team with the better record

17. Kate Upton

Kate Upton Legend 3

Yeah veru good point, considering the past 20 or so years the MVP winners was no worse than 1st/2nd in the NBA. But Kawhi is honestly the most effecient player in the NBA along with Durant and P George imo. A lot of people are overhyping Westbrook because of his triple doubles. Hes been scoring insane but his FG% is awful. He's getting assists but leading the NBA in turnovers. And is really stat padding with DRBs. He's a great player but way too overhyped this season.

18. Sam F.

100% agreed... Westbrook puts up triple doubles every night, but that's because he always has the ball, and at the same time he turns the ball over and shoots poorly. I want to see Westbrook play for a team like the Spurs and see what kind of numbers he puts up. Meanwhile, Leonard can pretty much do anything on an NBA court and is efficient. Westbrook is putting up historic numbers, but he's not helping the Thunder battle for a top 2 or top 3 spot in the Western Conference. I see the Thunder getting the 5th, 6th, or 7th seed this year, and I don't see them winning an NBA Championship. Meanwhile, Leonard is efficiently helping the Spurs while they put up a 24-6 record and finish with the 2nd seed, only with the Warriors ahead. That's why I see Leonard getting picked over Westbrook for MVP.