NHL 18 Wishlist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oliver, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Oliver

Oliver Superstar 2 LEGEND

[​IMG]
    I know that you're rolling your eyes seeing as NHL 17 isn't even out yet and NHL 18 is more than a year away, but let's get this started right now. I'm going to put it down as 5000-1 odds that somebody from EA Sports NHL reads this thread, but if they did, now would be the time for new ideas. NHL 17 is pretty much done now in terms of modes, maybe besides a few patches. Anyways, I have a few ideas for this game and feel free to add your own. I don't own a Next Gen console (now Current Gen I guess), but I watch 2BC vids frequently and play NHL Old Gen constantly. I dabble in all of the modes but HUT and GM/Franchise is where I spend most of my time.

[​IMG]

Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT)
    Not much to do here as this is obviously EA Sports's favorite child even though they would never admit it much like a parent wouldn't. However, I feel like there need to be some minor changes.

Hot/Cold Streaks- This rewards players who play the game often. If your player has scored 4 times in 2 games, his shooting should get a +1 boost until he stops scoring at that rate. If your player has thrown 6 hits and 5+ penalty minutes, he should be rewarded with a +1 checking attribute. Conversely, if your goaltender keeps on letting those high glove short-side goals in, his glove hand should go down 1 until he fixes it. Just an idea, not sure entirely about the full rules for this, but it seems like a good idea.
    Third Jersey- This is kinda a nitpicky one, but one I like nevertheless. With HUT, there are literally hundreds of jerseys to choose from and all you get to use is one dark and one white jersey. A third jersey doesn't add too much dimension, but it is nice, especially if you particularly like 2 jerseys of the same color.
    Coaches- I've been playing HUT on Old Gen for quite some time now, and it seems like coaches don't do much, if any. I know that there are licensing issues to using real life coaches, and that is why we are stuck with old man Fiddler and Ivansky. However, I wish the coaching options had a bit more depth, such as having one head coach, two assistants, and one goalie coach, each with different bonuses if they are paired together. It is the idea of chemistry/synergy, but with coaches.

[​IMG]

Be A GM/Franchise Mode
    In my personal opinion, this is most likely the most played offline mode, and EA does treat it well. I will have to see for myself whether or not EA did it right with the new budgeting and relocation they have this year, but for the sake of this post, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I have a lot of ideas for GM Mode and feel free to tell me how terribly wrong I am on all of them;).

Contract Negotiations- This is more of an umbrella topic, as there is a lot to go over with this one. Starting off, I have not gotten my hands on a Next/Current Gen copy of the game, but at least in Old Gen, there was the 85% rule, which stipulates that if you offer 85% of the player's asking price, you'll hit their minimum. Obviously this is an easy cheat and is stupid, so I hope EA made it a bit more in depth for Current Gen. I would like to see a back and forth between the player and management. This is obviously how it works in real life. Player overestimates, management lowballs, and they agree somewhere in the middle. Next, a must have for a "realistic" GM Mode is NMCs and NTCs. This is a basic staple of being a General Manager when it comes to contract negotiations and makes the game more realistic. Lastly, there needs to be the ability to extend current contracts. This is basic stuff for a GM and makes complete sense.
    Trade Negotiations- As with the contract negotiations, trade negotiations need to be just that: negotiations. It is annoying to just do the trial and error scenario and hope it works. Civilization did a good job with this by adding a "What will you give me for this" button. For those of you who don't know, all you do is add a bunch of things to one side of the trade or the other side, press the button, and the AI GMs fill in the value, or just say that there is no way to make this work.
    Coaches- I would like this to work, obviously probably without real life coaches, but I can make peace with that. Hiring/firing coaches is a great add-on to the "full control" new Franchise Mode. Now that the owner gives a budget, he could add in a coaches portion of the budget. With the money you hire/fire 1 Head Coach with certain boosts/drawbacks, 2-3 assistant coaches with scaled boosts/drawbacks, and one goalie coach. It seems like a logical step forward, but you know what they say about EA Logic.
    Emphasis on Overalls- While I want the overalls to still be there and dictate attributes, I would like there to be a larger emphasis on current playing statistics. If my 87 scoring forward only had 22 points, I don't want him to keep asking me for $5.2 million. The same thing can be tied in to Trade Negotiations/morale.
    New Stanley Cup Celebration- This goes for both Be a GM and Be a Pro. The same celebration gets recycled year after year and it drives me crazy. I don't see why your GM can't lift the cup, and be a part of the celebration.

[​IMG]

Be A Pro/Live The Life
    Be A Pro has taken a backseat in recent years and that is obvious for any fans of the General Zod Be A Pro Series from Johnny. However, there are some suggestions to make this a bit better.

Request Trades- Title says it all. If you are unhappy with how things are going, you can request a trade. However, I would also like an Jonathan Drouin type of thing go on where if you request a trade, the coach will stash you on 4th line until the trade happens.
    Change Positions/Brent Burns Mode- I think this is a fairly simple one. You can change your position, especially if you are an new guy on a team thats deep with wingers, you can change yourself to a center.
    World Cup of Hockey- This would be SO much fun if you got picked to the Young Guns team or team America/wherever you are from. Adds a different dimension to the Career Mode that FIFA picked up on a long time ago.
    All Star Game/Skills Competition- If you are good enough, you get picked to the All-Star Game/Skills Competition. It adds a bit of reward and incentive to play games in the regular season and make sure you get picked, rather than simming.
    Draft Skills Combine- This is just a little mini-game type of thing that comes after the Memorial Cup, when you really get to improve your draft stock. Target practice, Hitting timing, Fighting timing, etc. could be added to improve/lower draft stock.
    Live The Life- Same text based mechanics as the Old Gen game. I know it got super repetitive after a while, but I still kinda thought it was fun even deep in a career.
    New Stanley Cup Celebration- Why can't your player even lift the cup. It is a joke. You should have full control and skate around with the cup and press a button to pump the Stanley Cup, another to kiss it, and another to pass it along.

[​IMG]

EASHL/Online Be A Pro
    This is the mode I play the least (please don't kill me). However, I still play it some, and it can be fun. This is where I want you guys to help me out, because with this, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I'll give it a shot.

Small Attribute Changes- While the new player classes create an even playing field, it still sucks just being stuck and not progressing. It would be nice if you were able to progress pretty much from an 84-89. While the difference is not a game changer, hardcore fans can easily tell when playing with a player between those attributes. This is just an incentive for players to keep playing, and can really only benefit EA without hurting them.
    Third Jersey Option- All of the NHL teams have third jerseys, it just seems stupid why EA Sports can't add in a third jersey option for EASHL.

[​IMG]

Final Thoughts
    I am not an idiot, and I know that EA won't/can't realistically add everything in from here for next year's game. One can hope and pray, but it just won't happen. I, however, don't think I am too out of line with theses suggestions and all of these are feasible options to put into the game to make it better. Even if they only add 40% of these changes, I would say the game would be a success (thanks for lowering my standards EA Sports). Feel free to critique and add below. Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. TRPS NaSHTY61

TRPS NaSHTY61 2BC Elite

I'm not sure if this'll be in NHL 17 or what, but to increase realism in GM mode, I wanted there to be suspensions and, like you said, contract negotiations with players and even salary arbitration. I feel like it'd add so much realism to GM mode.

3. Dubz74

Dubz74 Superstar

NBA 2k's trade finder is amazing. You choose what you want to send and it finds a deal that would help your team. I wish they would add that to NHL.

4. Oliver

Salary arbitration would be a nice add-on. They actually did a good job with Offer Sheets on Old Gen.

5. MotoRyan42

MotoRyan42 Veteran

GM and be a pro are the only modes I play...

6. MotoRyan42

MotoRyan42 Veteran

And we should be able to do stuff with our money in be a pro... from our contracts

7. Oliver

2K set a new standard for a Be A Pro/Career Mode series, and one would think EA would take the time to significantly improve their own, but it seems like it is not as important to them as other modes.

8. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

I agree with what you said about be a GM and BAP. There is so much EA could add for those modes. It would be awesome if they brought back player interviews in be a pro and the trade request and retire option.

9. Oliver

GM and BAP are modes which the possibility of such depth, but they get left behind in the dust.

10. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

Yes. Because of HUT mainly.

11. 13whitebread

13whitebread Rookie 3

12. 13whitebread

13whitebread Rookie 3

Can 5 guys celebrate a goal? No excuses get it done

13. Mason Carr

Mason Carr Rookie

My NHL 18 Wishlist.
    Cover Athlete: Morgan Rielly
    Some Fans Wear What Team Is Wearing At Game.
    Songs For Soundtrack:
    Come With Me Now - The Kongos.
    Your Gonna Go Far Kid (Clean Version) - The Offspring.
    Come With Me - Puff Daddy.
    Modes: Winter Classic.

14. 44th King

44th King Rookie 3

I want crosby to be on the cover just cause he deserves it

15. Lights

Lights Superstar 3

I want to be in it

16. ezione

ezione Hall of Famer

The cover to finally be a Detroit player

17. MNWild91

MNWild91 Legend

I wish they implement what they do with Diamond Dynasty to HUT where how the players perform IRL dictates how well that player will perform. Maybe that does away with TOTWs?

18. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

coaches, mid season signings for franchise mode.
    trade request in be a pro.

19. GeneralSaad

GeneralSaad Rookie 2

Be a Ref mode, for sure.

20. undertaker9999

undertaker9999 Rookie

Captain's and assistants In EASHL, the ability to have my friends screen come up to invite to club instead of typing in their user names manually, Replays need alot of work done. The ability to use spaces in my players name. Face scan for my created players, import logos for EASHL team jerseys. A score ticker during intermissions showing scores of other EASHL games your friends are involved in