CHI Offseason plan

Discussion in 'National Hockey League' started by Matt Lee, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:01 AM.

1. Matt Lee

Matt Lee Superstar

Oh my god! :nas upset to :chi 4-0 series. What a shame :bang

Here is a recap:
    Game one and two: Got back to back shutout. Rinne is a beast goalie
    Game three: :chi score two goals and lose in overtime
    Game four: :chi score only goals tonight.

:chi give up 13 goals against :nas on first round playoffs.

My opinion of :chi playoffs roster:
    Offense is so quiet but they pepper on shot in goal to Rinne.
    Defense is a problem and look very old.
    I can't blame on goalie.

Here is my plan for :chi offseason:
    I think it's time to trade some old players on draft pick.
    :chi need to get goalie and defenseman on draft

Free agent: :chi has to find a prospect free agent. Maybe young top six defenseman and bottom six forward.

I have a question to everyone: can :chi get back to playoffs next season?

2. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Chicago needs to fix their defense. It's old. They can get back into the playoffs with this roster, but I think it's time they took a step back to take five forward. Maybe take a year to trade some old defensemen and maybe a forward or two. Nothing crazy. You'd probably miss the playoffs, but you'd get a decent draft pick, maybe trade for some good almost ready prospects, recharge, and the ngo again.

3. Stephen A. Smith

Stephen A. Smith Hall of Famer

Trade who? Their all on terrible deals that nobody would want to take. Chicago is stuck with what they got, all they need to do is hope they can sign some decent defenders in free agency and some more depth for their forwards. With guys like Schmaltz, Kero, Motte, even Debrincat getting better with age, they shouldn't press the panic button just yet. Just draft with the picks you got (They kept their 1st rounder so that's good news) and sign some depth.

4. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

I think the only guy they can trade and get something back(because he's not on a terrible deal) is Hjalmarsson. You can maybe get a late 1st and a decent-ish prospect(or some depth, but they should get younger imo) for him. But do they really want to trade the one good dman they have on a good deal?

Might be their only option.

5. Stephen A. Smith

IMO, their are some decent late 1st round defenders this year with Timmins, Joseph, Brannstrom, and Vaakananen that the Hawks can take. So, trading Hjalmarsson will definitely be a huge mistake given their already weak defensive core. Unless you can get a young defender who's a NHLer already and a 1st (Which is unlikely) you should just keep Hjalmarsson. Next year you can have Kieth, Seabrook, Hjall, T. Van, Forsley, and whoever they can get in free agency for that 6th spot. However, they need cap space, so maybe they might end up having to trade Hjall anyway whether it be now or later. Odd situation the Hawks are in. Either way it may bring a lose, lose situation whichever choice they make.

6. MapleHawk

MapleHawk Legend 3 PICK'EM CHAMP LEGEND

Chicago can easily get back to the playoffs next year.

However Stan's decisions have yet again cornered the Hawks.
    To be honest, I don't want Panik back due to how awful he was in the playoffs. He's pretty much gonna get resigned since he's earned it and pretty much everyone is in on it.

The Hawks should yet again keep pushing the rookies so they adapt to daily life in the NHL and the postseason. Schmaltz was bounced all over the place this season and he needs to lock down the 3C spot for all of next year. Kero has proved himself that he can produce off the 4th line and he should be able to take the 4C spot depending on what happens to Kruger or just slot Kero on the wing. IMO, Kero was one of the better players this playoffs, especially at the dot.
    Hartman was without a doubt the best rookie by a mile this year. He found ways to score, was physical in terms of hits, and fit in well along the top 6 when he had to and even got into fights. Literally had all the aspects of a hockey player until the playoffs hit. Q really shoved him down as the playoffs went along but I'd really like to see Q keep Hartman within the top 6, most specifically on the 2nd line for the majority of the year. Marian Hossa had a semi bounce back year but he's aging and his constant injuries don't help him being labeled as a power forward. I'd like to see Hartman alongside Toews.
    DeBrincat will most definitely make the team and I don't know where he'd be slotted.
    Motte, Pokka, Gustafsson, Svedberg and even Knott are a few that could potentially crack the team in October.

For the guys that are free agents this summer... IMO resign Campbell and Kempny and I guess Panik would be favoured. Let go of Rasmussen, Oduya, Jurco and even Desjardins as much as I don't want to see him go. Darling has been exceptional but his price is out of reach for Chicago.
    Focus on the draft since scouting hasn't failed to impress for some time now. We have our first this year somehow so drafting someone good can pay off, real quick. A goalie somewhere during the 4th/5th round would be solid. Chicago's weakest prospect position is goaltending and I don't even know how Wouter Peeters has been but the Hawks could've drafted better in terms of goaltending last year. Ian Scott, DiPietro and Zhukov are possible suitors. Also focus on signing d men and stabilize the backup goaltending since Darling is leaving and Jeff Glass is meh.

The Hawks have a couple of bad contracts due to being loyal to their cup winning core.
    As the days go, Crawford's contract is becoming less and less of an issue to me. He's performing year after year and he's only got 3 more years left. Instead of dealing him now, hold on to him and deal with that in the future. I have doubts of Darling being a full time starter and starting goalies aren't that easy to replace.
    Toews' contract just keeps getting worse. North of $10 mil was never a good idea but there's no point of hating on Toews. Kane is Chicago's best player and among the leagues best so his price is fine IMO.
    I hate Hossa's contract and the fact that he's going to stay here sucks. He's almost 40 and his contract is bound to be hell by 2019. Stan chose Kruger over Shaw and Kruger's price is pretty damn bad despite him being young.
    Keith's going to be paid 5 1/2 mil when he's north of 35 years old but he's been a solid d man year after year. Panarin's bridge contract seems scary since he's bound to hit the $8 mil AAV by the time that new deal ends.
    But the worst of them all is Seabrook's 8 year/$55 mil. He just turned 32 and his game is going down, especially with his limited speed due to being a huge physical d man. It'd be so nice to get him off the books via trade but it'll take a lot to convince other teams to take on Seabrook. I'd consider Seabrook a valuable piece to the team and the defensive core but Stan went over the top with the extension.

For the expansion draft, people want TvR gone but I'd like to see Kruger off the books. TvR's contract ends after next season so I don't know what he's going to get but his play for now hasn't been bad. He's fine on the 2nd d pair. Meanwhile Kruger is good when it comes to special teams, its just that he's not worth that $3 mil or so.

Overall, Chicago should be able to compete for a top 3 spot within the Central next year. However, things could go the other way and end up like LA even tho its unlikely. Keep drafting well and groom them well just like with Hartman, Schmaltz, Hinostroza etc. Blend them in with the bets on the team and push them towards bigger roles on the team. Just slowly retool and find ways to avoid exploding due to the cap. The team is good enough to be a playoff team for a good amount of time. Chicago's gotta focus on the future and lay off the past as they're slowly realizing.

7. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

My idea was ship Seabrook or Hjalmarsson at the draft. Hjalmarsson is a very good defensive player, so he could get a first and a prospect. Seabrook has an absolute terrible contract, so he could be shipped to a team like the Maple Leafs or Carolina who are willing to take his contract. Seabrook could get a first round pick between 10-15 and a good prospect. Also ship rental players such as Oduya and Jurco for picks. Then, with all the cap space sign players such as Panik and Darling. Then in free agency sign young, big name players. Preferably a top 4 d-man and a top 6 forward. Then if needed, use extra salary cap to sign bottom 6 forwards on one way contracts.

As for Coach Q, Bowman, and the coaching staff, I don't think any changes need to be made. It wasn't their fault the offense couldn't score and the defense were slow in the Nashville series. Plus, they coached the team to 50 wins and 109 points, so there was nothing wrong there. Just Nashville was the faster, better team.

8. Stephen A. Smith

Your crazy if you think any team wants Seabrook. Not only does he have a no trade clause, so you can't trade him to any team you want, he is making nearly 7 million dollars until 2024 to barely be a top 4 defender. He's only worth a 3rd round pick IMO. Hjalmarsson is the only possibility of trading someone to get rid of some cap to afford some depth.

9. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

Forgot about the no-trade clause. I think he is a suitable top-4 D-Man, but his contract is going probably the reason we can't trade him. Who knows, maybe some team is crazy enough to accept a trade with Seabrook in it.

10. Stephen A. Smith

The only team I could see that could get Seabrook is New Jersey since they don't even have a Top 4 defense man. Unless you consider Severson a top 4.

11. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

New Jersey and maybe Toronto. They have a lot of Cap Space and they need a defensemen to play with Reilly.

12. Stephen A. Smith

Then again, the Maple Leafs have to pay their big 3 (Matthews, Marner, and Nylander) their big bucks in the future. With Seabrook's contract on that team, they'll be screwed.

13. Kaljakori

Kaljakori Legend 3

You are actually stupid or ignorant if you think Leafs would ever take on Seabrook. You do realize we have a solid top-4 already in Gardiner, Rielly, Zaitsev and Carrick? Plus we have Nielsen and Dermott coming up.

Plus taking on Seabrook, even with lots of his terrible contract retained, wouldn't be possible simply because we need the cap space to pay Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev, Carrick, Brown, Hyman and basically everyone, because we have so many guys on ELC's. Oh and Gardiner has to be extended in two years.

14. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

Well sorry for being "ignorant" for having an idea. I didn't think their Top 4 was that good. I guess the salary cap is a problem though.