OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 16 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, May 30, 2015.

1. xLewman101x

xLewman101x Rookie

I think the two areas to improve are depth and D. Picking up Spurgeon would be perfect, pairs nicely with Erik K, creates a Ceci - Wiercioch pairing on the second line. That means Phillips can just be Depth, what he really is at this point in time. Also, as other people have mentioned, players like Fleishman, Spaling and Abdelkader, or a combination of players like them, would beef up lines three and four. If you can create cap space, without trading away the young core, Okposo would be an upgrade over Stone. That however should not be a priority. Andersen is too expensive, and Lehner still needs a chance. Kesler is Solid but at his age would not be a good addition to the top 6, he does not fit the age of the core, which would make Okposo the better option if it comes to that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Ryan C

Ryan C Rookie 3

I believe your best bet is Andersen and some depth. Okposo is to good to play on a second line and will drop to 86-87 overall then you're paying him more than he deserves at that overall. Kesler is great but if you sign him and Andersen kiss your cap goodbye for the next 4 years. Just sign Andersen and maybe 2 bottom six wingers, then look for possible trade candidates for Lehner for whatever you can get

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan Rookie 3

Which episode are you on?

4. FGCHippoGamer

FGCHippoGamer Legend

Maybe trade away a 2018 2nd round pick along side of a depth player for a better bottom six?

5. bmartin97

bmartin97 Rookie

Two options:
    1. Sign Andersen that will give you a SOLID 1,2 combo with Lehner and Anderse. This gives you no doubt in goaltending.But signing him is going to leave you with just under 3 million to sign a depth player like McBain for 1.3 or Fleischmann 1.5 or Gerbe for 0.92

2. Sign Spurgeon and Justin Abdalkader, This will cost you around 8.5 million to sign both and leave some cap space.

6. Tyler Hall

Tyler Hall Rookie

I believe Abdelkader is a great opportunity for point production on the 3rd line. Bringing back Cory Conacher would also be a great move for GM Superbman and the Ottawa fans. You want to roll the dice with Lehner, and save money by not grabbing Kesler because in my recent GM Modes and testing, Zibanejad gets to an 89. Also, sad to say in my GM mode, Kryski (4 1/2 red) gets to a 95 at age 22 somehow.

7. Mike Ribeiro

Mike Ribeiro Pro

You can't have it all Johnny, if you sign Andersen, you might as well kiss Lehner goodbye or a chance of putting more skilled players where needed. With the cap space you have, you cannot have both in goaltending, sign andersen or keep lehner and sign other guys. Also, if you sign and keep both, you will be relying heavily on your top 6 guys to score and get the job done 85% of the time. If you have High 80's players in the first and second line closer to 90 overall, then it might be a little bit different.

Abdelkader is such a great fit for your team, he should be one of the guys that you should be able to lean on for the bottom 6. Spaling is another guy that is def worth if you sign abdel.

fleischmann and bergenheimm could be the other two that you can get. I personally like Abdel and Spals but it really depends on when crunch time happens.

8. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

Just for the record, the game doesn't take having a nice 1-2 center punch into account much. I had Stamkos and Toews and my team sucked until I put both centers on the 1st line.

9. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

the current one

10. nick malesh

nick malesh Rookie

U should send a scout to Sweden. They were really strong in the playoffs and would do good. Get a Swedish LW to go with Hall.

11. Kirito

Kirito Rookie

Johnny i think you should sign either bergenheim/conacher/abdelkader (2 of the 3) and then make a run for Andersen. He is a top notch goalie at 88 and only 26 years old and he could still get a little better. ALthough Okposo would be nice i think you're fine on the right wing for now and he is pretty pricey. Kesler just no, no need for another center but i think Andersen makes the most since especially seeing how Lehner performed in the playoffs last year

12. Nick Grier

Nick Grier Rookie

Sign your draft picks and they will just play in the juniors, it develops them better.

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Rookie 3

Really? I don't really tink you're all that up-to-date on Hammond's situation...

14. theghostofparsons

theghostofparsons Rookie

I think that getting Anderson is the best choice because then you can trade Lehner this year for draft picks or a good two way forward that will be in the bottom six and keep resigning Scrivens until he retires or gets greedy which will buy time for Savard to grow and become your back up.

15. Snipe city

Snipe city Rookie

I say no changes in top 6 till u see the potential cap off and then if not good enough go out and find a replacement. Meanwhile sign Justin adbelkader to solidify the 3rd line and move someone from the 3rd to 4th to make your 4th better. As for goaltenders I say wait savard to grow to full potential and for defense get a solid 81 to replace Phillips if he drops.

16. kakartasvensson

kakartasvensson Rookie Suspended

i think u trade mathot for sidey Crosby :) jajaji ARGH :)

17. Ben G.

Ben G. Rookie

Johnny - I think you are over-estimating the potential and amount of good young players on your NHL team. Zibanejad is not going to get better playing on 2nd line with two 84 overall players. Stone is not a 2nd liner of the future as well, if you want to be a true dynasty Stone and probably Hoffman would have to be on the 3rd line. Now is the year to make your move and improve your team. You have to make moves now or the future could not be good. Sign Okposo and Abdelkader, move Stone down to the 3rd and put Zibanejad, Okposo and Hoffman together. You need to improve your team now, you really have no bright future.

18. boomersooner92

boomersooner92 Rookie

If you're going to spend a lot of money on one player then you need to go out and get Anderson. He's a number 1 goalie that you can make the big save when you need it. if you don't get Anderson then you don't need to get kesler or any of the top players because if you can 2 or 3 players for the price of 1 top forward then youre gonna be able to address more of your needs and of course hockey is a team sport not a one man sport so if you can have 2 or 3 good lines is gonna get you farther in the playoffs then just one good line.

19. BearishRiggs

BearishRiggs Rookie

Here's what I would do: Sign either Quincey or a top 6 dman. You have Karlsson, Ceci, and Braun down the right side which is perfect. Your pairing options could be: Wiercioch-Karlsson, Methot/Quincey-Ceci, Methot/Top 6-Braun w/Phillips as your 7th dman. Basically either a top 4 of puck moving dmen w/ a shutdown bottom pairing or spread it out with Methot and Ceci.

Also, you only have 32 players under contract, please sign guys for the AHL. You have literally no prospects left so start targeting whatever 3-3 1/2 star guys are in free agency. You need players @ every position and have the room to do it. Fill up your contracts, 47-48.

Overall, I think just stay pat with the forwards. Abdelkader would be a good, smart addition. Pass on Kesler and Okposo. The team is still young and growing, so I'd say let this be their last year before big changes need to be made. If Hoffman, Ziba, and Stone don't grow or have poor seasons, then it's time to revamp that top 6.

Edit: This goes for Lehner too. It doesn't makes sense to draft a goalie in the top 10 and also sign an elite Goalie in the same offseason.

20. Quiffin Grinn

Quiffin Grinn Rookie

-Pick up Okposo if you're willing to move Stone/Hoffman down to the 3rd line (I'd recommend moving Stone down)
    -Sign Ben Lovejoy for some depth defence
    -Andersen is only worth it if you can open up cap without disrupting your team too much, it's not realistic for a team to be trading 3 of their goaltenders in 2 years.
    -Fleischmann is the cheapest of the 3rd line left wingers, so picking up him instead of Abdelkader would leave more cap space for you.