OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 10, 2015.

What should we do at the deadline?

1. Stay Patient with this group

42 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Trade Prospects such as Dadonov, Konecny, Savard for a CUP run NOW!

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Trade Veterans such as Ward, Wingels, Methot, Phillips for draft picks

83 vote(s)
    53.5%
  4. Add Depth with 2nd, 3rd picks & 3.5 gold prospects

20 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

Defense isn't the issue. If you payed attention to Johnny's video he's in the top 5 in preventing goals. He lacks goal scoring.

2. Angus Maude

Angus Maude Rookie

Hey Johnny, I'll tell you exactly what I think you should do...

First of all: Your top six forwards are all getting around 40-50 points which is great. Of course players like Hall, Ryan and Turris should be getting more points but it's just as good, almost better, to have such even scoring throughout your whole lineup. Even Lazar on the third line is chipping in.
    Call me optimistic but I think you have a shot at the cup this year. Lehner and Scrivens is the perfect goaltending duo for you right now. Don't trade Lehner just yet, build him a team that can help lower the number of shots he faces. I say you need two things more than anything - a big top-6 forward and a steady defensive defensemen.

FIRST MOVE:
    San Jose wants to get rid of Joe Thornton. GET HIM. I know he is a centre and you aren't particularly lacking in that category but you can move some guys around and even have a centre playing the wing if you have to. Trade this years' 2nd, next years' 2nd, a prospect and Joel Ward for him. It's a lot, but it is Joe Thornton.

SECOND MOVE:
    Buffalo is having a terrible season. I have no idea how considering they have blossoming stars like Reinhart and Grigorenko, (and I think Hanifin too). I think you should take a look at their roster and pinpoint the reason why they're doing so terribly, then depending on what it is, offer them a trade. Trade for Nikita Zadorov OR Rasmus Ristolainen.

You adding a big 6'5" 84+ defensemen to plop on your struggling second D line (move Ceci up to the first line) will definitely help our your 5 on 5 statistics. Not only that, but Thornton will bring experience, leadership and will win you a ton of important 5 of 5 faceoffs.

Your lineup should look like this and if it doesn't work out you can blame me completely:

Stone - Turris - Ryan
    Hall - Zibanejad - Hoffman
    Abdelkader - Thornton - Lazar
    Greening - Smith - Wingels

Ceci - Karlsson
    Zadorov - Wiercoch
    Methot - Braun

Lehner
    Scrivens

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

San Jose's top of their division currently in Johnny's GM mode, highly doubt SJ's giving up such an experienced and skilled forward for a playoff push

4. Cody73

Cody73 Rookie 3

Johnny.

I think your best move would be to pick up top 6 forward, preferrably a center with good D and faceoffs.

Take a look at some younger guys at C as well. Turris seems to be stuck at 87. Bringing a young center whose more ready than Lazar would be a great fit in that top 6, and would make your third line that much stronger in the future.

DON'T deal Dadonov unless it's nessacary. I think he'll be a 82 next year, ready to go on that 3rd line/2nd PP unit.

I'd say if you deal anyone off the 2nd unit, Stone or Hoffman are the ones that should be dealt.

5. ebeegeebe

ebeegeebe Rookie

Whoa whoa playing great? OK sure you're in a playoff position but by no means are you a Stanley cup contender with how Robin Lehner is playing. I think you should either keep your team how it is or trade any veterans with an expiring contract at the deadline.

6. spencer54321

spencer54321 Rookie

Johnny I say you get Patrick from the San Jose sharks he may be a little much but his contract expires at the end of the year so u don't have to trade anyone like Joe ward and you can resign your players at the end of the year and let him walk and a future 2nd rounder and a never will be prospect can get him and you can put him on the RW with hall on the 2nd line I think it's worth a shot for that cheap

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  7. Eski

Eski Rookie

now that marleau has so low trade value you should really think about getting him to your second line.
    your lines should be
    hall turris ryan
    hoffman zibanejad marleau (hoffman in2nd because he is playmaker)
    stone lazar wingels (put stone in powerplay to get more minutes)
    abdelkader smith greening
    so that leaves joel ward to trading asset with 2nd round pick.. that should be enough for marleau? if not then put one of your 3½star prospects in trade too.. marleau should be perfect player to push your team to cup run.
    defence..
    try this out...
    braun - karlsson... dfd and ofd.. perfect combination.
    ceci wiercioch... twd - twd.. another perfect combination
    and methot - phillips... dfd-dfd they should shut the door in defence...
    dont trade goalies... i dont think that is your problem.. biggest problem is goalscoring...
    marleau helps you with that..

8. Rogue Factor

Rogue Factor Rookie

The team as you said is playing well defensively, but looking at the numbers in the last few months, you've dropped from the #1 defense down to #5, and the numbers themselves have regressed in that department. Even still, the offense has shot up and they've basically cancelled each other out for the most part. You really don't have many good quality prospects and you're not quite cup-ready either barring one trade at the deadline, so I'd agree with you and say to just leave the team the way it is, maybe juggle the lines a little (Hoffman above Stone to get 2 playmakers with Ryan on that top line) and maybe do some strategy adjustments, which I promise you actually affect the sim. Otherwise if you go on a sweet cup run that's great, but don't be surprised if you don't make it this year.

9. Hunter Shinkaruk

Hunter Shinkaruk Hockey god

Johnny, trade for Ryan Miller and Radim Vrbata from :van. Vrbata is a sniper at 87 overall. He could bolster your top line. Miller could be your clear starter also at 87 overall. Steady starter goalie and by the time his contract’s over Savard will be ready. Send back Scrivens and Ryan with a pick (maybe 2nd or 3rd) and keep Lehner as the backup he should be.

Alternately, the pick could be a Ward or Chiasson or whatever :van wants from the bottom-6.

10. Slots

Slots MMMMMMMMMMMMMBOP LEGEND

I would keep the Prospects and trade veterans and get prospects and draft picks with potential. Also play scrivens often.:happy

11. Slots

Slots MMMMMMMMMMMMMBOP LEGEND

AND TANK FOR ZOD

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  12. Mason gould

Mason gould Rookie

Johnny you're in trouble of being a treadmill team if you keep making the playoffs and getting kicked out right away you won't get high end prospects you need to get better and you will never win a Stanley Cup I say trade away turris and Ryan both are having good runs but you won't win a cup with them trade for younger players with almost the same overall that can grow and move veteran players for picks or good nhl ready prospects

13. BlueBull

BlueBull General Manager

I think you should think about the future of the senators. i would like you to try and get all of your veterans out of Ottawa and get a top 5 pick(maybe using your first to get that). if you do this there might be a chance to get zod and i think they wont get a better pick, the only way that would happen would be if they did an 'Ottawa Senators Style™' playoff push! let's hope that wont happen if you choose to do this!P.S :zodWe Want Zod:zod!LIKE SO JOHNNY SEES!

14. PappyWTF

PappyWTF Guest

Maybe try and go for a guy like Mark Scheifele on winnipeg, BEFORE he gets too good and his trade value sky rockets.

15. Senator

Senator Rookie 2

I agree, he needs a powerful backup goalie (like Ottawa has in real life now) if Lehner gets injured, Anderson is there. If Anderson gets injured, Lehner is there. For you, if Lehner gets injured, you lose games up until he is back. Scrivens is NOT the way to go.

16. Zac Carlson

Zac Carlson Rookie

Hey Johnny I think you should make a trade, you should trade Turris he isn't playing to his potential and you can get a much better 1st line center that can produce for you team

17. TheRussianRocket

TheRussianRocket Rookie

I still stand by what I said at the beginning of the year. If your not in the playoffs or barely in 8th or 7th, blow it up and start the rebuild because the draft looks deep. Don't try to make it in the playoffs just to get kicked out in the first or second round.

18. flykessel

flykessel Rookie

I'm still not convinced this team can make a run. I'm not sure what you can do though to make it that way. Picking up a 1G + 1C would be nice, but I would think that you'd want to hold onto the prospects that you have, so it may just be best to play out the season, and wait for the offseason before making any drastic moves. I really think that we should wait for the 2017-18 season, as there we should have a nice infusion of youth and our older guys still being good. Thats where the aquisitions of the C/G are important.

19. Calgaryflames82

Calgaryflames82 Legend LEGEND

That very is true. I give Hall a hard time for this reason and this reason only.

The reason that the analysts said go after Taylor Hall was so that he could be a first line scoring player and there is an argument that his goal scoring production has increased. Right now is GPG is higher than last year. Projected to break the 20 goal mark on the second line and reach about 50 points. That does seem to be on the low end for a second line sniper. Considering that it is an 89 overall sniper too. Maybe it is his line mates holding back and needs to go back on the first line so that he can really tear it up as Bobby Ryan and Kyle Turris are turning it on and in turn, also helped Stones production. I don't

My actual point? Johnny acquired Hall to be the legitimate top line scorer and put the puck in the back of the net, however, during this season, he is only on pace to reach 50 points on the second line as an 89 sniper. Maybe its an off year and next year he destroys every goalie to put on the pads. However, until the numbers reflect that, I still stand by the statement that Hall has underachieved greatly so far.

20. Ryan Getzgoals

Ryan Getzgoals Rookie

You should be patient with this group because this team because without injuries this team can start heating up. But you may need to look to add to your depth, but I think will a healthy roster this team could make the playoffs and IMO make the second round.