OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 19 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 10, 2015.

What should we do at the deadline?

1. Stay Patient with this group

42 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Trade Prospects such as Dadonov, Konecny, Savard for a CUP run NOW!

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Trade Veterans such as Ward, Wingels, Methot, Phillips for draft picks

83 vote(s)
    53.5%
  4. Add Depth with 2nd, 3rd picks & 3.5 gold prospects

20 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. Doctor Batman

Doctor Batman Rookie 2

Johnny, Lehner is starting to lose it! Your best bet is to trade him before it's too late, possibly for a guy like Dustin Tokarski (83 Overall) or Michael Neuvirth (83 Overall).
    As for players, take out guys like Ward and Greening and go for players like Andrei Markov and Miko Koivu.

2. HolyToffoli73

HolyToffoli73 Rookie

Johnny,

PART 1: What to trade for
    PART 2: What to do about the goalie situation

PART 1: As I said in the last post, I still don't think that this is a hardware team. You've proven that it is a consistent playoff team, and that is the first step to becoming a dynasty, but you really need to make the next step if you want to be a top tier team, and right now I think that that next step is a legit SECOND line center. Everyone is telling you to get a first line center, but a) that isn't necessarily realistic, b) that is costly, & c) that isn't necessary. If you added a second line center, you'd be able to move Hall back to the first (in which case a "first line center" wouldn't be necessary-- Hall-Turris-Ryan is a really stacked line, so there is no need for an 89 or 90 center), Zibanejad to the left wing, and drop a new center in the middle. A TWF-SNP-PLY second line would not only be interesting for the series, but also pretty damn effective so long as the center in question is an 85 or 86 overall. I recognize that this might be a tad costly, but this setup would drop Stone to the third line (which a lot of people seem to agree is the right idea-- he's a career third liner at this point, and I think that its time to play him as such. It isn't a bad thing at all, imagine how killer a Abdelkader-Lazar-Stone line would be), which makes either Wingels, Ward, or Greening into trade bait. If you throw a second and MAYBE a prospect on top of one of those players, you could get a legitimate second line sniping center such as Rocco Grimaldi (Panthers), Rickard Rackell (Ducks-- I don't know what his overall is on your GM, he's a hit-or-miss type of guy), or a bigger name like Tomas Hertl (Sharks). There isn't a rush though. Remember, this team inches closer to being a year in, year out contender every day with Savard growing in the minors. Which leads to our next topic...

PART 2: KEEP THE GOALTENDING THE WAY IT IS (at least generally). There is noooooo reason to make a trade for a better goaltender when you have Savard coming up in a few years, ESPECIALLY given that Lehner could still technically get better, even after a bad year. In my last post I said that Kuemper would be a viable option, and thats still the only goaltending change I see being worth toying with, and even then it is more of a "trade for the sake of a trade." If it ain't broke, don't fix it-- the goaltending trades that you DO make are more likely to hurt you than those that you don't.

CONCLUSION: Offense is the problem, so the offense needs to be fixed. Add a top 6 center and flush out some of the physicality from the top six and add some finesse. Goaltending isn't something that needs to be fixed right now, and you've already fixed that department with your drafting. However, your top six IS something that needs to be fixed NOW if you want to be a hardware team. Moving out a bottom six player, a draft pick, and a prospect for someone like Hertl (out of conference team that you've dealt with before) would improve both your top six by adding a scorer to the lineup, and also your bottom six by moving Stone down there.

P.S.: RECORD FASTER. This series is the only thing that keeps me sane during my 60/30 hour work/school weeks.

3. Adam Gellatly

Adam Gellatly Rookie

Johnny I'd Say You Should Trade Ryan And Abdelkader For A guy Like Zetterberg Or Steen Pretty Much A LW In His 30's Because He Will Put Up Points And Be A Veteran Leader On The Team. By The Time Their Potential Drops Or They Drop In Overall Dadanov Will Be 1st Line Ready. The Reason I Don't Say Trade Turris Is Because He Will Be An Above Average Second Line Center Behind Lazar When He Is First Line Ready. But Wait It Out For Goalteanding!

4. SergeantShaft

SergeantShaft Rookie

I still say wait and see how it goes. Remember Hall is still young and this could be he coming out year and next year he might be that superstar SNP you want. Like I have been saying. Next year you will make the playoffs regardless of this years turn out. If you trade players away now you can't make the playoffs. If you wait and make a deep playoff run then you can get more money for the next season and that gives you some flexibility and the ability to sign some younger players to there real contracts. In GM Superbman we trust.

5. tezgm99

tezgm99 Pro 2

I'd like to see him swap Ryan and Hall since Taylor is still growing while Bobby isn't....but given how the team has played towards the end of this episode, it might not be worth it. I just don't want to see Hall dropping in overall due to not getting the minutes.

6. theghostofparsons

theghostofparsons Rookie

Johnny I was thinking that you should trade for Holtby and Kuznetsov. Kuznestov is still a young layer with tremendous upside and Holtby is a great goaltender who won't be worth as much as Luongo or Miller. You can throw in Lehner and Wingles and prospects/or picks if needed. If you don't do this than don't change anything.

7. Nick Backstrom

Nick Backstrom Rookie

Johnny - You have to trade for me. I would give Ryan his game back by passing and giving him chances to get himself back to an 89 (or better) overall player and then it would take the workload off Turris.

I would trade 2 second round picks and Zibanejad and a prospect for Myself and maybe a 3rd and a 4th
    OR
    2 second round picks and Turris for Myslef and one second and possibly a 4th. The first idea is if you dont think you need Zibanejad, turris could cover the second line just great.
    REASONS
    Zibanejad may be young and getting better but I think it will get you to contend for the cup more as you will have more scoring and get Turris back his normal self.

But if you think that wouldnt work consider the other idea. It could give you a better trading asset and you would still have Zibanejad to get better

I Think this is a great Idea and I have proven it could work very well in your favor,
    Backstrom's Agent

LIKE SO JOHNNY SEE'S THIS

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. Ben G.

Ben G. Rookie

Johnny - Honestly I stopped watching your youtube. It is so boring because you don't make any moves! You gotta do something, you are losing fans!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Chris Kreider20

Chris Kreider20 Rookie 3

Johnny trade for Nathan Gerbe I know you pursued him in the offseason, but he has no trade value AND if you play him 1st or second line he scores more goals than Crosby! Looks can be deceiving for the 81 overall. Send greening or a third and maybe fifth rounder for the the winger.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  10. x--synister--x

x--synister--x Rookie 2

You articulate your points very well. So do you think that if somebody is to be traded that it should be Hall, or just hold onto him and the rest of the squad until the draft?

11. Calgaryflames82

Calgaryflames82 Legend LEGEND

Hold on to him for now and wait until the draft* or this time next year*.

If you hold onto him until the draft because right now, you are still fighting for a playoff spot. I would much rather have Taylor Hall on my team then going against Taylor Hall. Its an 89 overall sniper. If I was Johnny, I would move Hall up to the first line to see if they can wake him up.

Hall also has a contract that you can trade that doesn't expire for a couple of seasons. His current contract expires July 1 2020. You move Hall at the draft if you fail to make the playoffs than deal him. If you make the playoffs, then keep hall for next season up and till the trade deadline. Players can have a bad season. Its gonna happen. If he produces like that again next year. Move him at the deadline.

12. HockeyGoalie30

HockeyGoalie30 Rookie

Do not judge your season with that first month since you stuck with them now you are doing fine. IMO keep the team for the playoffs but at the draft trade Methot and Condra.

13. MrGrEaTeSt 2

MrGrEaTeSt 2 Veteran LEGEND

I'd say blow it up completely. You'll just get bounced in the first round anyway. Keep Hall, Ryan, Lazar, and Karlsson. Everyone else should go.

14. Mike Ribeiro

Mike Ribeiro Pro

The time to get a new goaltender was at free agency. I really just think you need to stick it out for the prospect goalie you have. It's not worth it to get a player that you will replace anyways later and give stuff you need for other worries on the team.

If you want to tank:
    Trade away Turris and Ryan, they are not producing like they should. Might as well sign Savard and give him some playing time in the AHL.

If you want to make the playoffs:
    Talk to the owner and see if you can bring either Thornton or Marleau. What worries me is what you will have to give up for them. I almost don't think it's worth it. There's some decent goalies out there but it will take too much to get them here. It's best to just stick it out.

15. RyanSnipes

RyanSnipes Rookie

Do NOT tank for Zod, be patient and wait until the draft to make a move up. A potential draft trade could be Abdelkader or Smith and your first for a top 10 depending where you are.

16. The Dirty Caper

The Dirty Caper Rookie

Johnny, I suggest trading all your veterans for a middle-aged 86 or above player that is big,physical,fast, and just that all around key player like say cheaper Rick Nash kind of player. Try to pick up a good 86 or 88 overall kind of player for each position. One star or leader kind of player in each position ex: 1 star or leader RW, one star or leader Center and a half decent goalie lehner is a ant. You dont need to worry about a star or leader player for the LW category or defence category cause you have Captain K on defence and Taylor Hallway on LW. But just take this in mind a true pro franchise has a key player in each position ex: Tampa or Chicago. Best Regards and wishes to Eugine.

17. Corrado Distefano04

Corrado Distefano04 Rookie 2

go out and get letang or roman josi from nashville romans cheap and like 86

18. Corrado Distefano04

Corrado Distefano04 Rookie 2

im gonna get hate for this but if u want to win the cup this year trade lehner and scrivy for like MAYBE holtby and peters

19. King Strome YT

King Strome YT Rookie

Johnny, I think you have a good chance at going deep into the playoffs this year, if a player like Jagr or Iginla is still available, I think you should trade for one of them to bolster up your top 6 and you wont have to worry about their contract next season because they (should) be retired. If one of those options is not available, trade for a Matt Moulson type of player who is in their prime but stuck on the worst team in the league and give them a playoff run, its up to you if you want to put them on the 2nd or 3rd line, but I'd reccomend putting them on the 3rd. As for Lehner, I would keep him just because he has been getting the job done as far as Goals Against, you are one of the best goals against teams for a reason and thats because of Lehner, Savard will be able to take over in a couple of years.