OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 20 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Mambuu

Mambuu Rookie 2

Every analyst here seems to hope for the same thing: quick first round exit. They are right. That would leave you with no excuses at all. Just bite the bullet, trade Turris and either/both Hoff and Stone. Turris doesn't have the abilities to play as a 1st liner, you need a more defensive player there (just reminding you about Backes and Kesler...) Then the second line. Ziba can be the center, but then you have to think about the balance. Right now, all three 2nd liners are average at everything. How can you assume a line like that could do the trick? And didn't it help when you had a goalscorer in that line (Hall)? You could still use him or Ryan there, and then try to acquire the third guy based on the weaknesses of the others. And whatever you do, DO NOT SIGN ANYONE FOR THE 3RD/4TH LINE. Sure, they help with your great defensive numbers, but there's no need for 83s or so playing a few minutes per game and getting 3m per year.

Pay more attention to drafting. It's hard to give any advice when all we know from the first round are the two guys who you want to pick the least: Rogers and Zod. C'mon, enforcer in the first line... most of us wouldn't use an enforcer in their whole lineup. You should look for a two-way winger (center if no good wingers are available). That player might grow to a good defensive second liner, which the team currently needs.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. Corrado Distefano04

Corrado Distefano04 Rookie 2

i no u dont like talking about next year but is turris dosent produce in playoffs trade him for a pick to get zod

3. bhawks13

bhawks13 Rookie

Scrivens had a remarkable year as a backup. Start Lehner. If Lehner blows game one, you put in Scrivens. Obviously don't expect Scrivens to stand on his head if he is put in, but at least it will give Lehner some rest and time to mentally rest. I see this team, if they can pass the might Rangers, going to the third round like the fans in Ottawa need and have been waiting for. Round one game one should still be the focus. Don't get ahead of yourself, the Rangers are a big cup contender and cannot be overlooked.

4. Chris58062

Chris58062 Rookie

You should trade up before the draft once trading opens again to draft Zod. Also in the Later Round draft a . Robert can be good but is definitely not a long term Golie

5. Hunter Shinkaruk

Hunter Shinkaruk Hockey god

Listen to me, buddy. He might've not done what the poll said but he still did what was actually realistic for the team. Could we actually get anybody at the deadline, that would legitimately help?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Dumb Dumb x 3
    • List
  6. Hunter Shinkaruk

Exactly- should a 1st line sniper at 89 OVR be getting FIRST line points, not second line points?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  7. Hunter Shinkaruk

I think that you should just leave the team as it is, and then trade the veterans (like Ward and Chiasson) to the young teams with few depth players who got the Top 5 picks at the draft. Then, draft Zod and make them KNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEL

• Dumb Dumb x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  8. Icecrafter105

Icecrafter105 Veteran 2

And nobody has mentioned Dadonov yet...
    ... (I think) he'll be finishing his 3 year period in the CHL.

Don't get Zod, even though he may have players kneel before him, how is he going to fit into your (usual) roster when (if, actually) he grows to be a first line player. Having a Grinder (Enforcer, whatever) doesn't follow the path of generic sniper, playmaker, sniper.

9. matty ice

matty ice Rookie

What do you think about abdelkader getting more time? He's a big tough body perfect for playoff hockey, he's also been known as a pretty good goal scorer

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  10. Retrysky

Retrysky Rookie

Did what was best for the team? Nah, best for the team would've been to go for a good draft pick by tanking. There is no way he is gonna make it far in the playoffs, also I'm not telling him to do anything else but to just listen his fckin fans for once, what is the point of a vote if he is BASICALLY gonna do what he wants to do?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. JetsFan123

JetsFan123 Hall of Famer

If you start to lose games look at all the stats for each player, then make changes that would work out best. I think the main issue is the 5 on 5 offence, so I would mainly keep a close eye on those players.

12. MNwild

MNwild Rookie 2

Your not getting enough depth goal scoring, if things take a turn for the worst I suggest going after a young goal scorer like Anthony Duclair or a guy named grimaldi(not sure about spelling) these guys can put up 15 goal seasons to start but grow to become 20-25 goal scorers

13. Nolan Hanley

Nolan Hanley Rookie

You need Cedrik Paquet he's a great 3rd maybe even 2nd line forward. He can play great offense did u see him in the cup finals!!!??? He is extremely tough and will help u win. He can play great defense and is the missing key. You could trade a AHL player and maybe a 3rd round pick for him it would help u alot

14. Natedawg pro

Natedawg pro Rookie

hey johnny ,i know scrivy is having a good backup year and people are saying to trade but if u keep him intill ur 4.5 star goalie comes up then trade him for like a second round pick and he still has value and then after lehner comes your backup and now u have a nice combo.Secondly for the lines i think u should put lazar on the second line cause lazar can still grow and ur not giving him the chance he needs and zibanejad can turn to your third line or maybe trade him beacuse he has great value and can allways help other teams

15. Natedawg pro

Natedawg pro Rookie

plz dont add anything cause ur a for sure not a full time playoff team

16. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

Man, imagine if a GM ever said that to an owner or the fans or anyone. He'd be fired by this time tomorrow

17. Hunter Shinkaruk

Yeah, but don't you want to see Zod?

As for Dadonov... he should be ready for some third line time soon- next year maybe? :dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:dad:D:ott

• Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  18. hockeyfanzodd

hockeyfanzodd Rookie

Go with scrivens if lehner can't preform by that I mean first two games 3 or more goals

19. Nevvy

Nevvy Rookie 3

In my eyes Johnny, even tho Turris did pick up his numbers at the end he should still be traded for a high draft pick make lazar and mika z fight it out for number one center make wingles third line center and go from there

20. Mambuu

Mambuu Rookie 2

Thank god, finally someone who understands the situation... Zod won't help at all. Better to just hope he goes to the west, for an epic SC final battle in the future. You are also right about Dadonov, if he's 80+ OVR, third line could look like Abdelkader-Lazar-Dadonov. It would be fairly balanced aswell. Not every bottom 6 player has to be a defensive monster, especially when your top 6 isn't cutting it.

Johnny, you should give us some answers in the next video to our questions. As I'm writing this and thinking of what advice should I give, I can't help but think "does he even care about this?" We don't know that much about what you have planned to do. What is your goal for the next year? Coming back with the same core, shaking the top 6 or rebuilding? What does the team need the most? Forwards, defensemen, youth, veterans? What is happening at the draft? Trade for a top line center, since people want that position to be improved the most, trade for a higher/lower or maybe another first rounder? What are you willing to trade? Answers will allow us to help you. :)

For the playoffs (took me a while heh) I'd use Lazar in the second line, hoping for a nice jump for him. Not much you can do with your current roster, as you don't have many guys capable of playing in the top 6. This might sound weird, but as much as I don't want to see Turris in the lineup, I wouldn't take him off the 1st line at any cost. If he drops to 86, his trade value goes down and trading him becomes much harder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List