OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 21 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 20, 2015.

1. You have to trade Hall. He is making 7 million a year but he was crap in the regular season and did nothing in the playoffs. Trade him for a better top line left winger, preferably one with an elite shot as one of the things you are missing is a consistent, top-level sniper. Also, Lehner's collapse in the last few games of the series show that you need to trade for an 87+ overall veteran goalie that can play until Savard gets good enough to take over. In hindsight, you probably should've signed Andersen

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  2. Jeremy Roenick

Jeremy Roenick Rookie

GM Superbman,

I think its time to trade Taylor Hall. He receives 7 million a year and did close to nothing in the regular season. Hall was also garbage in the playoffs... it is a must to trade him for a better first line sniper. Lehner needs to go as well. he crumbled in the playoffs last year, and given a second chance this year he couldn't get the job done. Ben Scrivens has proven to play well during the regular season. maybe Scrivens should play more games. sorry for the recent playoff upset.

sincerely, Jeremy Roenick

3. hockeyislife

hockeyislife Rookie

Johnny, in order to have success in the playoffs you have to have a goalie that will carry you through the season AND THE PLAYOFFS clearly 2 years in a row Lehner has been outstanding in the regular season and the 1st round of the playoffs but not the 2nd round of the playoffs because he played horrible against the habs last year and the pens this year.
    #tradelehner

4. LastResort318

LastResort318 Pro

Johnny, you need to get better second liners. They can play defense but they can not score. You play hall on the second line and expect him to score when he has no one to work with.

5. Predators

Predators Veteran

What I think should happen is you should give this roster two years, by then Savard should be a starter, and Ceci, Hoffman, Mika, and others will have grown. If Turris is still doing bad, KICK HIM OUT! And please put Hall on 1st line to start season.

6. crosskull

crosskull Rookie

Johnny that was an amazing series no matter what people say it was great the pens had a better goalie top 4 defense and two top tier centers and your team took them to game 7 in the second round that's not bad especially from going from a defensive series to having to get four goals to seal the deal and your team got 8 goals and 6 goals on a 89 overall goalie and the pens got three consistently on lehner who's 85 overall you have a great team just need that one more piece to the puzzle and there we have a winning team

7. YiniM77

YiniM77 Original Blazin' Glazin' 1,000

Time to trade away Lehner for a better goalie, preferably a veteran in his late 20's to early 30's. He collapsed against Pittsburgh. Also look for a replacement for Taylor Hall! No goals in the 2nd round wtf!, and he's paid 7M a season. Look for a player with a 5 star shooting category. If you don't want to trade Hall then trade Ryan. His regular season stats have not been good and he has not been a consistent playoff performer. Trade him for another Sniper with a better shooting category.

8. Capnadian

Capnadian Rookie

Johnny GET RID OF TAYLOR HALL he is doing so bad for a 90 overall sniper plus he is making way too much money, and we need a new captain in Ottowa Karlson didn`t get you guys to a easter conference final at all in three years!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  9. Kessel has a dadbod

Kessel has a dadbod Rookie

I know this is the unpopular opinion , but Johnny doesn't need to make any big moves. The teams core is still so young , and with Konecny , Dadanov , Savard etc. growing in the minors Johnny just needs to be patient. The only thing I would suggest is a new bottom 6 d-man (because phillips was drafted in 1932) , and I might be stretching here but if there is a third line forward with a bit of a scoring touch and good defensive stats for a decent price in free agency I think that would be a great move to make just a filthy third line with Lazar and Adbelkador.(Wingles is fine there , but it would be a good move until Dadnov takes over that role)

10. pete

pete Rookie 2

Hi Johnny you in all honesty had a great year. It was good of you as a GM to ignore all the haters and do the right thing throughout the season. However I do not think that you want the Ottawa Senators to just be a first or second round team but rather a STANLEY CUP winning team. And honestly I don't think that your team is built for the cup. However there are a lot of traiding chips on your team that can be used to aqquire bigger pieces to help you get there. The two biggest being K.Turris and B.Ryan. The problume with them is that Turris is not a true bonafied #1 center you need to win a cup, and since you got T.Hall you don't need B.Ryan. I suggest then trading B.Ryan for a 87-88 overall defensemen in the off season to help Karlson since Wiercoch is not good enough to play as a top 2. But if Cici already jumps to 87-88 than another d-man like that can boost you D-core. Secondly I don't see Stone or Hoffman as 1rst or 2nd line players as much as 3rd line wingers on a cup contending team. If they stay at 84, than you can trade them for younger players in that same range that can grow into those positions at 86,87 overall and use Abdelkater and Wingles to sweaten the deal. Lastly you need more draft picks on your team. Your cupboards are way too dry but if you look at Chicago in real life, even though they always contend for the cup, their team is still infused with young talent, and prospects for the future. So you can easily trade away Greening, Smith, Ward, Methot, and Phillips for late 1rst or early 2nd round picks meanwhile trading your higher assets for even bigger assests. This will also give you more assests in the future to trade for pieces to build a cup winning team, while still growing your team for the future. Lastly dont trade away Lehner he us still a solid goalie at 85 86 overall and can help you alot in the future. He shouldnt be on the block until your goalie prospect is ready to take over. But you are the GM not me and if this idea does not sit right with you I completely understand and respect your decision.

11. Anoir

Anoir Rookie 3

No need to blow it all up just because you barely lost to the Penguins. I mean for puck sake, you made Crosby 98 and Malkin 95, ANY team ever would have a hard time beating that.

12. ths_ninjaking

ths_ninjaking Rookie 2

Yes some

13. ths_ninjaking

ths_ninjaking Rookie 2

Hey Johnny, at the draft you could trade away turris, Ryan or hall for a top 10 pick. But Johnny you need to remember how a lot of your success came in Arizona. You traded up for a top 5 pick and u then could draft petry and louuuuuuu Morris and look how much success you had. So I'm not saying tank for Zod I'm just saying get a good pick and continue from there.

14. Renz L

Renz L Rookie

Good season Johnny. You made a good playoff run this year. In my opinion Lenher
    not gonna cut it in the playoffs you need a better goaltender until Savard comes in to fill that hole and a 1st line center (even though that maybe harder) or a young left winger like Valeri nichushkin or Kerby rychel for the future.

15. Rebuild5Ever

Rebuild5Ever Rookie

Johnny You had an amazing year you guys lost by one goal in Game 7 to PITTSBURGH. Its hard to beat Crosby and Malkin. Recover this off season. You are only getting better. Try and get a 2nd line SNP if you need you think thats logical and have Stone play the 3rd line since he is a PWF. Dont listen to the shit analysts. The real analysts got ur back!

16. Mike Ribeiro

Mike Ribeiro Pro

Johnny, Great series for the Sens. Defense really didn't show up when they needed to but now you can go back to the owner and say that you are making improvements every year. I do think it's time to say good bye to Lehner in the starting spot. It would make sense to get a goaltender that is a little bit past his prime but still has 2 solid years of good goal-tending left on him until Savard is ready. You keep Lehner until then and rotate them on a 3-1 ratio loss or even 3-2. This is going to give you some more games to win that you would otherwise lose due to the goaltending not being there. Once Savard is ready, you can either keep Lehner as a backup or just fish the free agency or other teams for a decent backup.

17. Rappa Chang

Rappa Chang Rookie

18. frank p

frank p Legend 2

The team is growing each year and I don't feel anything too drastic has to happen in the off-season. However, I do think there are a couple problems that could be looked at, and possibly fixed. The top priority I feel that needs to be looked at this off-season is adding another 87+ overall winger to the Top 6. Stone or Hoffman can go down to the 3rd line to bolster the bottom six, while the new top 6 winger can fill in either with Turris and Ryan or Hall and Zibanajad (may be spelled wrong). If free agency offers a player who can bring a 25-30 goal season, I think he has to be the first player you look at and try to get. It would be hard to trade for a player of this caliber, so look to free agency before looking for a trade. Another problem that I feel has to be addressed is the addition of another dman who can play in one of the top 4 spots. Ottawa's D is solid. Another dman who is 85-87 overall would make it that much better. Again, look for this player in free agency. If you can not afford him it's not a big deal, but if you have the money to do it, I feel it has to be done to give the team a chance to compete for the Cup this year. I'm fine with Lehner going into next year and the prospect pool is fine. I see this team wining the cup in the within the next 5 years if 1 or 2 more acquisitions are made consisting of a top 6 winger and/or a top 4 dman.

19. Nuge

Nuge Hall of Famer LEGEND

Johnny, I think you need to trade Mark Stone or Mike Hoffman. The reason is that they are getting old and are still both 84, I think you should get a better second liner for Stone/Hoffman + your first for a player like frans nielson.

20. The Crock

The Crock Rookie

Ceci's growth this season was purely statistical, his potential had nothing to do with it. Plus, you haven't tried Ceci with Karlsson recently, maybe he could be just as good or better than Wiercioch. Kill two birds with one stone, pun intended, by increasing production and growing Ceci.