OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 22 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 23, 2015.

What should we do?

1. Nothing - Draft, Sign, Improve through Free Agency and give this core the chance

48 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Blow Up - Draft Picks and Prospects are the priority. Anyone over 25 can go.

85 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Improve - Use draft picks, prospects to acquire roster players (Lindholm, Burakovsky, etc)

342 vote(s)
    69.5%
  4. Other

17 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

Tough decisions need to be made boys. What should we do?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • List
  2. BrandonH

BrandonH Rookie

You need a knockout centre... make a deal around free agency to send one of your top two centres away for a Nathan MacKinnon type of player (Colorado are a struggling side). A deal like that will require that you give up some other assets as well, but it will help you make the team better over the next 3-4 years.

• Agree x 14
    • Like x 7
    • Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    • List
  3. Teloch

Teloch Legend LEGEND

What should we do? Collect hockey cards! Just got this in the mail today, do you like it?

[​IMG]

Oh right, right...the GM mode. I'd still give the current core another go. Build around what you already have. Round 2, game 7 loss in a series that could've gone either way is not a bad result. Maybe you could try to find someone to bolster the second line offence without moving Hoffman or Stone out to have one of them improve the third line. Perhaps sacrifice picks and/or prospects to do this, but don't go balls out with it just to make a change. Not sure about getting some huge name for your defence. Could probably do with someone decent in the third pair. Nonetheless, everything's still looking up in Ottawa in my opinion.

• Like x 16
    • Funny x 7
    • Winner x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    • List
  4. TheHolySlapper

TheHolySlapper Veteran

Change must be made. Yes, you have young team but wouldn't say it's necessary growing. Stone and Zibanejad can theoretically still grow but seems like they are stuck at 84 and 85 overall. Guys like Lazer and Dadonov will get better but don't see them become difference makers. Personally, I would really like to see a guy like Burakovsky who can truly become our next superstar if the stars are in the right position. And hey he is Super Swede!

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Dislike x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • List
  5. daddyshelton

daddyshelton Rookie 3

I actually agree with keeping guys like Mika and Robin and whatnot. They could get better. Though you know what I noticed? You actually play well when you put in aggressive players. Mark Stone looks like a legit first liner on your team. You've been focusing on playmakers and snipers because that's the conventional wisdom, but instead why not go physical and defensive?

Think about it. You've been one of if not the best defensive team in the NHL for years now. Build that up. Instead of looking at playmakers and snipers, why not two-way forwards and power forwards? If Mark Stone was that good, imagine a top line power/two way on that team. Maybe it's the coaching, but that's what works.

I do like the idea of adding Hampus Lindholm. I'd say Wiercioch, a good prospect or two like Lanoue and Bear, and a second or so might work. On top of that though, one guy you should really look at is Gabriel Landeskog. The dude is a legit first liner at present time, so he'd be a beast on your team at sim time. He fits perfectly into the physical defensive and checking team that works for you in this sim. Maybe look at lower guys like Devante Smith-Pelly or Brock Nelson if Landeskog can't work.

All I'm saying is maybe it's time to stop fitting the sniper-playmaker combo everyone's screaming for and realizing that what's bringing you to the show is your defense and physical fowards that are working for you right now. The Flyers were one of the best teams in history with the Broad Street Bullies.

Screw the Bullies. It's time for THE WELLINGTON STREET WARRIORS!!!

(Yeah, I know the CTC is on Palladium, but I couldn't think of anything clever, so I went with the Parliament Building on Wellington.)

Edit: In honor of the Wellington Street Warriors, I have created my first avatar for the site. Who's with me?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    • Agree x 16
    • Winner x 3
    • Optimistic x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • List
  6. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

1) Ryan goes nowhere unless he drops in overall (you seem opposed to trading Hall, but in my books Ryan's clearly been the better producer)

2) Still hope for Lehner (until we determine if Savard can make the necessary impact)

3) there's TWO roster spots and a fill-in spot (Greene was there for potential injuries)
    - Greene's spot will be easy to fill from free agency with an older player
    - a second top 2 D-man would be a nice fit with Captain Carly (that would mean someone like Wiercoch or Methot gets 3rd pair time if you sign someone from FA)
    - for Ward unless there's yet another older depth player in FA that you (GM Superbman) like, Dadonov/Konecky can probably fill that spot

• Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    • List
  7. hockeyman912

hockeyman912 Rookie

Johnny, our team is going decently well, although you should make a few deals on the draft. Burakovsky would me a decent snab, and maybe a MacKinnon from Colorado, since they are struggling as well. He is a good 1st line center for your team that you could grab. If nothing goes well, trade for either the 4th, 5th or 6th pick. You know you ain't gonna get a top 3 pick. Make it realistic, they aren't unless you give up a Ryan or Hall. That won't work. Get a pick between 4-6 if the trades don't work and get General Zod! You must've created him hahaha, he's gonna be the next Lou Morris! Even better!
    Sorry is this was long man

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    • List
  8. Renz L

Renz L Rookie

Johnny, in my opinion you should go after Hampus lindholm. He's a solid defenseman and with already great defensive stats in the regular season why not make it better. You probably have to give up Ryan and a prospect but you get a defenseman that's a super swede and left handed. A perfect top pairing.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. robery02

robery02 Rookie

Draft ZOD:zod:zod:zod:zod:zod or otherwise he'll come bite you and your senators in the ass

• Like Like x 15
    • Dislike Dislike x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 1
    • List
  10. smsfan3

smsfan3 Rookie

Johnny, I completely understand that you want to keep your young guns to have them participate in the future. To be honest, though, your prospect pool is pretty shallow at the moment, excluding your capping-off team members, such as Stone and Ceci. This means that the time to win a Cup is within the next two to three years. You are running out of time. I say trade away a few decent prospects and a draft pick or two in the draft in order to to pick up at least a good top four defenseman. This can bolster your defensive core, and will help Lehner grow in the process, if he is to be kept on the Senators.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  11. SirDIFalot

SirDIFalot Rookie

Why did you create Zod and that other dude Johnny? You talk so much about wanting realism and you go and do that? PLEASE do not draft him. You treat him like Lou Morris all over again, and even worse this time. It wouldn't be fun at all.

• Dislike Dislike x 9
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Dumb Dumb x 7
    • List
  12. Dustin Penner

Dustin Penner Rookie 2

Johnny, pancakes here, 2 rings, you should trust me

You need to do what you were saying in the video and get players like Burakovsky, Lindholm, MacKinnon and Duchene are a few examples. Hell, you can even sign me for crying out loud. But Johnny you need to get a AMAZING playmaker center for Hall/Hoffman and Ryan. Get a goalie over 87 overall while you're at it and trade Lehner for a pick or that better goalie. Johnny, you know Lehner is the Niemi of NHL 15, you need that Ciarelli and Hutchinson, but better than them! AS ITIS.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • List
  13. raph1387

raph1387 Rookie

If you trade for Lindholm you have to at least give up Ceci and your 1st pick. Wiercoch isn't even near good enough to be the return for a 90 overall d-man. Would you trade Karlsson if the best player you'd get in return was an 84 overall d-man?

Also, if you're set on trading Bobby Ryan I say you should pull the trigger and trade away Turris AND Ryan for a BEAST 1st line center. Mackinnon(if he's grown well (well=91+ with 5 stars puck skills) would be a good fit in my mind cause Colorado was on the lower end of the league and they have Duchene, so Turris would slot in on the 2nd line and Ryan would be that RW they always needed.

• Like Like x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Devil Fan19

Devil Fan19 Rookie

Trade for Zod!

• Disagree x 10
    • Agree x 7
    • Dumb x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  15. PuckIsLife

PuckIsLife Rookie 3

I think you need to keep Bobby Ryan he is a great 1st line right wing. I don't think Taylor Hall is a good fit on your team Johnny. You made that trade to get him just because the fans wanted it and it did not workout. Trade Hall for Hampus Lindholm and play Evgenii Dadonov this year on the 2ed or 3ed line.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
    • List
  16. Hoodums19

Hoodums19 Rookie

Johnny, hear hear me out here. Just as you said this core of yours I was one bounce from going to the ECF. If you could find an 83 to 85 sniper to fill in for Joel ward with good defensive stats, that's someone you can call on to come up big in the clutch. Give Ryan another chance this season and If it doesn't work out he is gone next year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. Captian Foligno

Captian Foligno Rookie

I dont see the logic in trading away Turris (this goes for Lehner as well.) now because you need to re-sign him to trade him, and trade away a player that you just re-signed makes no sense. But I like the idea of getting a top 2 defenseman combined with a forward that fits the age group. As the CBJ fan I am I would love to see some CBJ players in the roster :), maybe you could go and get Ryan Murray with Oliver Bjorkstrand. I don't know how good he is but maybe you can check that. If that dosenĀ“t work I think you should go after Lindholm and Etem/Silfverberg. If even that dose not work you should go to Washington for Carlsson and "Bura".

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Packfan1022

Packfan1022 Rookie 2

Johnny- Go with your defensive style! I say trade bobby Ryan and your first round pick to get Lindholm and a young second liner that is a TWF/PWF that can help the goal scoring and the defense.

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. daddyshelton

daddyshelton Rookie 3

Amen! Another one for the Wellington Street Warriors bandwagon! Let's get this rolling boys.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Old Old x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Vinny

Vinny Coach LEGEND

IMO I say go for Lindholm and trade Bobby Ryan and maybe even a 1st or 2nd draft pick. Karlsson and Lindholm would kick ass and have good chemistry. If you look back to the teams that have won the cup, their top 2 defensemen were amazing which im not saying Wiercioch isn't I'm saying he should be a on a lower line (2nd line for him w/ Ceci). Also if say go for a Center. Turris is good but he isn't producing like Ottawa needs him to. Just don't you dare trade for Zod and have us wait 4-5 years until we are good.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List