OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 23 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Patrice Bergy

Patrice Bergy Legend

It could happen I mean, both Hamilton and Lucic got traded so.... Heck even Wayne Gretzky got traded before...

2. UpYourSisters5Hole

UpYourSisters5Hole Rookie 2

I understand where you're coming from with the trades you made Johnny. Hall wasn't producing and Ryan has not too many more years at his current overall. The Schwartz trade was questionable in my opinion and I would have personally gone for someone better than an 86 overall 24 year old. However, you managed to flip your earnings into a steal for Burakovsky who's gonna take the sniper position on the first line next fall. Lindholm was the breath of fresh air defensively that this team needed, so good call. In terms of the FA, I would either go for Johnston, or trade Turris and a pick for a 22-24 year old 88 overall centre preferably a Playmaker to set up Burakovsky. You're starting to juggle lots of centres now unless you have plans to move Lazar to the RW which is something I would do. To fill that Top 6 spot for Defense I would try looking at:

- RD David Rundblad (CHI)
    - RD Mark Pysyk (BUF)
    - LD Oscar Klefbom (EDM)
    - LD Julius Honka? (DAL) <-- Really throwing one in the air with him, haven't seen his overall but might be good fit.

3. Arizzo32

Arizzo32 Guest

Johnny you dont necessarily need Tyler Johnson, you have enough center depth and i think it will it be overkill, however, Ondrej Palat would make a really good fit. He's 85 overall and is not asking for an arm and a leg, he can also be an effective penalty killer and provide excellent balance to your lineup. He's also asking for a whole 3 million less than Tyler Johnson so you can get other players easily.

4. Mambuu

Mambuu Rookie 2

Yay, now the fake analysts are happy... three trades and not one of them had a 1st line center in them? Do you not know what you need and what you don't? If Johnson or one of the guys people mentioned last time don't start the season wearing an Ottawa jersey, this series is over for me. No excuses now, you threw the realism away so continue that way and improve the team. Schwartz and Bura won't help, you downgraded your attack... and you were the best defensive team already... yay, add Lindholm. Reminds me of Edmonton.... so f*cking bad.

5. JoshyBGoon

JoshyBGoon Rookie

Please sign Johnson and put him on the first line. Turris will fall down improving the center core, and leaving you with zibanejad as an asset. Another asset you have is Justin Abdelkader.. You have too many left wings and playing him on the 4th line while having a hole on the right wing would be stupid. Package them both for a solid right winger. You'd have to sign both next year anyway, so give them to a team while their contracts arent huge, they'll be easier to move. And i think the defense is fine, you could use another d man but a right winger should be your goal right now

6. x--synister--x

x--synister--x Rookie 2

About time you really shook things up! Those were some pretty ballsy trades you made! After that all I can say is, sign the players you think compliment the new squad and do your thing Johnny, In Superbman We Trust! :ott:2bc2:ott

7. Sterweror

Sterweror Rookie

So Tampa :tbl doesn't like the triplets anymore with Johnson and Palat not getting contracts. :omg
    I think you shouldn't do any major trades before you see how your young players grow in the off-season. One position that certainly needs help is 1st line right wing and while there aren't any top6 right wingers available, you could still fill that position. I would sign Johnson for the 1st line center and move Turris to the right wing. Top 6 would then look like this:

Schwartz - Johnson - Turris
    Burakowsky - Zibanejad - Stone

In addition to signing Johnson get Koekkoek or Dotchin to help your defense. This would bring your salary very close if not over the cap, but you could free up some cap space by trading Hoffman for a cheap bottom 6 player and a depth forward or prospect. Braun and his $3.8M contract could also be traded if needed.

8. Ghost of Razgriz

Ghost of Razgriz Devils for the cup!

Well getting rid of Hall was actually a good move. He didn't produce as expected and he payed for it. Also getting Burakovsky is good young talent. I would've liked to see the overalls and potentials of the top 5 draft picks.

9. LazarBaby!

LazarBaby! Rookie

Johnny, I like the moves you made but I think now what we really need is better players for the top six. I think signing Johnson would help with that immensely and having an 87-rated second line center makes us even better. Trade away Zibanejad so you can loose some cap and because he is more developed and has more value, then maybe pick up a right winger. Also, I know he's a left winger, but I think Palat would be a great signing to go with Johnson. The main reason I say this is because he is a decently high-rated left wing PLAYMAKER which there aren't a lot of. This is helpful because seeing TJ being a twf, with palat and a right wing (or left wing) snp would have the ply, twf, snp line combination. The only problem I have here is that Lazar and Ceci might not grow anymore :( (maybe later if Lazar grows you could ditch turris and but Curtis on the second line idk) Finally sign Hope as a back up, you might as well.

10. jvar17

jvar17 Rookie

First off, you should sign Johnson as your first line center. Then package Turris and Hoffman (he just got passed over by the two left wingers you traded for) for a young, top line right winger. That will set up your top six to look like Schwartz - Johnson - Right Winger (trade) and Burakovsky - Zibinejad - Stone for your second line. Lastly you should send an offer sheet to Slater Koekoek (what a sick last name!) to try and fill out your defensive core.

11. devilsfan313

devilsfan313 Rookie

Johnny, not bad moves but you for sure have to make at least one more move for a top right winger. Stone doesn't cut it. Burakovsky nor Schwartz can have that spot and it might stunt their growth if you give it to them. You may want to get a TWF or PWF to put with Schwartz the Sniper and Turris the Playmaker. Also, You could move Turris down a line and move Zibanejad up a line depending on progression. Lastly, I think it would be wise to wait until preseason/when the offseason progression kicks in because for all you know, Stone could jump up to an 87.
    Lines:
    Schwartz-Zibanejad*-Trade for
    Burakovsky-Turris*-Stone
    Hoffman-Lazar-Dadanov
    Abdelkader-Wingels-Condra

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  12. KomicJ

KomicJ Rookie

I actually like those trades. The deal for Schwartz was awesome, I would've made that deal in a second. The Burakovsky one was kinda expensive, but given that he's a green star player, I guess that's the price you had to pay.

Now, let's get down to business.

I don't think giving $7.0m to Tyler Johnson, on a long term deal, would be a good thing for your franchise. Being a two-way forward in the game (unless you changed it), his production will always be sub-par on a first line...and you might end-up with a more expensive Kyle Turris.

However, Ondrej Palat could be a good fit, on a $5.0m deal. He's cheaper in salary than Johnson, and I personally would have no problem paying a 1st round pick for a talented player like Palat. I also would be tempted to bring in Carl Soderberg to play on the third line, although that might be a luxury at this point, especially considering the depth you have at center with some young players that might get a jump this year. Drew Stafford is another interesting player to target for that role, as a winger.

Schwartz - Turris - Stone
    Palat - Zibanejad - Burakovsky
    Abdelkader - Lazar - Dadonov
    Hoffman - Wingels - Condra

This gives a spot to Dadonov in your top-9, which would help him grow. Now Hoffman is a wasted talent on the fourth line, so you might wanna package him along with Stone for a solid right winger to play on the first line, next to Turris and Schwartz.

And then, the reason why signing Soderberg/Stafford could kinda makes sense, is that it gives you flexibility, for a pretty decent pricetag. You can either use one of them on your third line (if Soderberg, move Lazar to the wing) and let Dadonov play another year in the minors. Or, you can now afford to trade Lazar or Abdelkader for a 3rd pairing defenseman, to complete your defensive squad.

If you'd rather try to sign a defenseman, my pick would probably be Gleason. He's listed as a depth defenseman, but his defensive stats are usually pretty good.

So basically, what I'm suggesting here...

- Sign RFA Ondrej Palat to a $5.0m deal.
    - Sign UFA Carl Soderberg or Drew Stafford to a $2.0m - $3.25m deal.
    - Trade a Stone, Hoffman and one of Lazar/Abdelkader for a legit 1st line RW, and a third pairing D.
    - Play Dadonov on your 3rd line this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  13. Mats Zuccarello

Mats Zuccarello Veteran

I think you should get Brian Elliot in FA. At this point in the series, he is in his early to mid 30s, and you would have a 1-2 punch with your Lehner and Elliot, and since Elliot is in his 30s, once Savard would be able to take over the backup position is 2-3 years, you can trade Elliot away. Also, realistically, if you think about it in real life Elliot could be a great mentor to both Lehner and Savard.

14. PavelskiIsGod

PavelskiIsGod Rookie

Your team has proven they are capable of making the playoffs, but can't get it done in the playoffs. Tyler Johnson is the perfect acquisition to get this done. He proved himself in this years playoffs, and could replace Turris and his nonexistent scoring on the top line.

15. MikeyTheFlyingSquirl

MikeyTheFlyingSquirl Rookie 2

Get johnson and palat, they are both from Tampa so would have good chemistry. Try and sign for a depth player as well (if you can get the room).

That would leave your lines potentially at...

Schwarz-Turris-Stone
    Palat-Johnson-Burakovsky
    Abdelkader-Lazar-Dadonov
    Fontaine-Smith-Condra

Trade Wingles, Stone, Hoffman, and Zibanegad for a top line Right Wing (Tarasenko for example). Assuming his salary is $7M, the four players you trade have a combined salary of $10.75M.You would be able to afford palat and johnson still with an extra $2M and could sign koekkoek (even though he want $3M). The winger could go for a little bit less too, $6M maybe and you can afford it all.

16. Lexxor87

Lexxor87 Rookie

You should trade Kyle turris for Nathan Mackinnon because he's a great 1st liner and good offencely and defencely and he makes the other player on his line better. And even better he's younger then turris better then turris and has 4 and a half star green potinal

17. HAWS

HAWS Rookie

18. Rappa Chang

Rappa Chang Rookie

Dunno what you're thinking Johnny, but whatever it is, I like it!

19. KingQuong

KingQuong Rookie

Sign and play johnson on the wing, he'll have more freedom to be an offensive player i dont think he has the greatest defensive or face off stats anyways, And if you're trying to stay realistic you know centres are expected to play a two way game.

20. bubbahaber

bubbahaber Rookie

Johnny, I think it may not be in your best interest to sign anyone in free agency. I think so because you have Lindholm, Karlsson, Zibanejad, Abdelkader, Hoffman, and Stone all free agents next off season. Of those, you know Lindholm, Karlsson, and Abdelkader will want at least a slight pay raise. While Zibanejad, Hoffman, and Stone will want at least 1-2 million dollars more then what they're making now. So by signing Tyler Johnson for over 7 million dollars, you end up screwing yourself over because you won't be able to re-sign the players who are already in your system. I love your videos Johnny! Keep it up!