OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 23 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jun 27, 2015.

1. KomicJ

KomicJ Rookie

Because if Johnny wants to make sure Johnson signs with the team, you're probably looking at a 4 year deal, $7.50m per. That's a lot of money to invest on ONE player, especially considering you have to re-sign Zibanejad, Stone, Hoffman, Karlsson, Lindholm and Scrivens next summer. Plus, like I said, I'm not sold on Johnson as a first line center. He does have qualities, but he's a smallish kind of player, and a two-way forward (if Johnny didn't change that in his upgrade). My personal experiences with two-way first line center hasn't been the greatest in sim games, which is why I tend to believe that you may end-up with a very expensive Turris by signing Johnson.

Meanwhile, Palat you may be able to sign for close to $2.5m cheaper, on a 1-year deal...and then restructure his contract the next summer. True, you have to give up a 1st (and maybe a 3rd) to get him. I just don't think Ottawa's pick value could get you someone like Palat on the trade market (and hey, if it is, then maybe that would be something to consider as well instead of shooting for the one available talented left wing on the RFA market), which is why I said I would be willing to pay that price personally.

Say you stop right there, your lines would be...

Schwartz - Turris - Stone
    Palat - Zibanejad - Burakovsky
    Abdelkader - Lazar - Dadonov
    Hoffman - Wingels - Condra

...with roughly $5.0m still under the cap. If you go for Johnson instead, you're looking at:

Schwartz - Johnson - Stone
    Hoffman - Turris - Burakovsky
    Abdelkader - Zibanejad - Lazar
    Condra - Wingels - Dadonov

...with now about $2.5m of cap space. I like the first scenario better, as it seems to me it gives Johnny more flexibility looking forward, and more cap space to make his move / or use as a buffer for next year.

Now if you go with scenario #1, you now have the cap space to sign a player like Soderberg/Stafford for your third line (not second), if you want to give yourself even more flexibility on the trade market. Say you go with Stafford, the cheaper of the two, for 3 years at $2.0m per. Now you're looking at:

Schwartz - Turris - Stone
    Abdelkader - Lazar - Stafford
    Hoffman - Wingels - Condra

...with roughly $3.0m of cap space. The acquisition of Stafford would, for now, mean that Dadonov is playing in the AHL for one more year. BUT ! Adding Stafford to the team also means you can now afford to trade Hoffman in a package, along with Stone, to get a legit first line right winger. Why these two ? First of all, their value should be high enough to get a pretty good piece in return, and both of them have to be re-sign next summer (Hoffman as a UFA, Stone as a RFA).

If you deal them away, you're not only upgrading your first line right wing position, you're also saving yourself the headache of negociations that could very well lead to increased salaries. Stone is making $2.5m this season, Hoffman makes $2.75m. So you can go outhere and trade these two for a player of your liking, one that would be an even better fit than Stone to play with Turris and Schwartz, that commands a salary of $5.25m or less to offset the contracts...if you can find that player for cheaper (ie. younger player, still on entry level or bidge contract), you win even more.

Lets say the contracts offset each others. You're now looking at:

Schwartz - Turris - (Upgraded Winger via Trade)
    Abdelkader - Lazar - Stafford
    Condra - Wingels - Dadonov

...with roughly the same $3.0m you had after the Stafford signing. Which is still more than what you would have if you went for Johnson instead of Palat. Or you can forget about Stafford altogether, if you think Dadonov is third line material this year, and save even more money.

But say you did go with Stafford, you now have a better right winger on your first line than Stone (via trade). You also have Palat playing on the left wing of your second line instead of Hoffman (I see that as a considerable upgrade personally), you have Zibanejad playing on your second line (which is his role after all) instead of having to drop him on your third, and a very good depth player in Stafford to solidify your checking line, along with Abdelkader and Lazar...with still $3.0m left under the cap, and two less contracts to worry about next year.

To me, it's worth spending a 1st and a potential 3rd for that.

Plus, you can't do that by signing Johnson to that $7.5m deal. You're stuck with Hoffman on your second line, and don't have the money to bring in a guy like Stafford to play on your 3rd, therefor making it very hard to trade one of Turris or Zibanejad, along with Stone, for that 1st line right wing upgrade.

This would force you to play Dadonov on the 3rd line, which he may not be ready for, and you would still be missing a 4th line forward, and a 6th defenseman, with barely any money to spend this year, and a very uncomfortable situation to deal with next year.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Teuvo Teravainen

Teuvo Teravainen Superstar 2

he traded his second rounder as part of the trade for hampus lindholm

3. Lebrun Jamz

Lebrun Jamz Rookie

Go after Charlie Coyle. I have him in my GM mode and he's 92 overall. He's great if you love power forwards lol...

4. Subby Dubby Doo

Subby Dubby Doo Hall of Famer

Alright, first thing I want to say is this: SIGN HOPE, MANN-DIXON AND/OR MORRISSEY! They're respectively 23, 20 and 19 year old goalies with 4 yellow stars. This is some great trade value and they go for cheap!

With Ryan out, your RWers are very weak. If you sign Johnson, you could play him as a 1st line center and move Turris at the RW (he's right-handed). This would solidify your 1st line and reinforce your RW core (Stone is currently your strongest RW at 84 ovr). Also, Turris has now capped off, so not playing him at center won't affect his growth, since he has no more growth to do. Plus, he isn't getting points as a center, so maybe he will as a RW. With the money you have, you can sign Johnson.

Your lines would look somewhat like this:

Schartz - Johnson - Turris
    Burakovsky - Zibanejad - Stone
    Hoffman - Lazar - Wingels
    Abdelkader - Smith - Condra/Dadonov

Lindholm - Karlsson
    Wiercioch - Ceci
    Braun - Schlemko

Lehner
    Scrivens

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Nasher

Nasher Guest

Johnny, I agree with your trades. Schwartz has great potential as I think Ryan has capped his ability. The trade for Burakovsky was worth it, although you gave up lots of picks you have to give to get.

Looking at the FA's Tyler Johnson definitely stands out to me although he is worth 6M. He might be able to replace Zibanejad if the cap is gonna suite your needs.

Other than that, great work!

6. ghetto homie juan

ghetto homie juan Rookie

Turris is a good second liner but this team needs a offensive superstar Johnson ZOD and dadonov on the team would be a great first line

7. HockeyGuy99

HockeyGuy99 Rookie

Johnny way to go out and improve your team people may say it's unrealistic but it's not giving up big to get big we have seen big trades many times in the real NHL. Pick up Johnson for your first line he is a perfect fit with his speed and skill and slater koekkoek is a perfect 6th D-man and if you have enough cap I'm sure palat would fit right in but remember for RFAs you have to give a bit more salary or the team will match your offer good luck Johnny keep it up

8. BadGoalieMan9

BadGoalieMan9 Rookie

Johnny, sign Johnson. Him and Turris would be a solid one two punch down the middle. As for your first line RW situation, I'd suggest trading either Lazar or Zibanejad and package them with a draft pick.

9. Carolina Candy Canes

Carolina Candy Canes Legend 2

Johnny, with the power of the fourth pick in the 2015 NHL draft, I command you to not sign Hope. I like what you are doing with bringing in Hampus and Andre and that you got rid of bobby snobby Ryan and Taylor Townhall. In the eyes of M&M, I say to target Tyler Johnson in FA and he could really help you down the middle with Mika and Kyle. BUT I REPEAT, DON'T BRING IN HOPE!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  10. Pasta

Pasta Rookie

I say you should sign Johnson so you can score more goals especially in the playoffs. You should also get a young guy that you can play on the 2nd or 3rd line. I say David Pastrnak from the Bruins. Call me biased but he can score goals and in my Boston GM mode he got to an 88 ovr at 26 years old.

11. seaner200130

seaner200130 Rookie

palat is a RFA

12. Tigsy

Tigsy 1738

o i thought I saw him in the FA lolol

13. Ovi21

Ovi21 Rookie

Great trades Johnny and go after John son in free agency you will have an amazing center core for now and the future you should also sign Brandon Hope in free agency him and Savard will be a great 1-2 punch in goal.

14. Nasher

Nasher Guest

My thoughts exactly... :)