OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 32 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jul 21, 2015.

1. BrendanGallagher

BrendanGallagher Rookie

Justin Abdelkader: The unsung hero.

2. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

The only thing I'm mad about the cup is that the Canucks haven't won it. When was the last time you guys won an Olympics? Or a world hockey championships? Or a world junior? If you want to talk about 'of late' Canada has won everything.

3. MrGuy9021

MrGuy9021 Pro

Congrats... you guys have more hockey players... I'm pretty sure if the US didn't have baseball, basketball, or football, or hell even soccer at this point being so prominent they'd probably be right on par and probably better than Canada. I'm not disputing you guys are the kings of hockey, it's YOUR guys thing... but in terms of the NHL, you guys haven't won a lot separately as teams. Individual players then fine, you can have that as well but there's a reason rooting for a team is far more popular than individuals.

4. YiniM77

YiniM77 Original Blazin' Glazin' 1,000

Sweet Victory!
    Congrats Johnny on proving us idiot analysts wrong!
    I think you should keep the team exactly the same, execpt trade away Reilly Smith and Patrick Maroon to make roster spots for Evgenii Dadonov and Travis Koneckny. Dadonov will be most likley an 83-84 next season, and Koneckny will be 81-82. Also look into drafting a RW, because Mark Stone will most likley not grow. Once again CONGRATS!

5. Logan Couture

Logan Couture Rookie

Congrats Johnny u did it and here from San Jose I am happy for you and the city of Ottawa. U brought a championship to San Jose and continued your legacy in Ottawa. Maybe I can help you out next season ;).

6. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

Right now their are 10 candians on the Blackhawks roster. 5 Americans. Also who has won the last 2 pan am baseball gold medals? Canada. The last 2 first overall picks in the NBA draft? Canadians. Don't even mention soccer. The MLS is like a retirement home for soccer players. And there's no reason for there not to be an equal number of Canadian/American teams. Or if not? Then more Canadian. There are so many markets in Canada that would succeed with hockey and would make so much more than teams like Arizona and Florida. Maybe if the odds of an American team winning the cup wasn't 23-7 then we could talk

7. MrGuy9021

MrGuy9021 Pro

But bro what are you arguing.... lmao. Yes, Canada has more/better hockey players because that's kinda the only sport you guys really focus on! Well done! The # of sports academies in the US that spread that out far more thin out the number of American players that would play hockey, that's pure facts man. Also, the reason why Bettman and the rest of the NHL heads aren't putting more teams in Canada is cause they want the NHL to grow bigger. Yes, duh, a team in Quebec would do better than Southern teams but guess what, THEY KNOW THAT! It's not going to expand or grow the game, and it's gonna lead to even fewer people viewing hockey and it's gonna continue with Stanley Cup Finals games being shown on freaking NBC Sports than local basic cable stations like NBC or ABC/FOX/CBS.

The NHL knows the Canada is obsessed with hockey, but you guys are already so addicted and would even watch minor league hockey that expanding there doesn't matter. Besides, 7 teams to pick from already is plenty to choose from. NHL will never touch the other major sports leagues if they don't branch out, and that's why in order to survive it needs America to become a bigger part of it.

8. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

But it's never going to be the size of these other sports leagues due to shear population size. America is huge compared to Canada. And Canadians have been doing pretty good in these 'american' sports to. When was the last time an American was picked #1 in the NHL? When was the last time a Canadian was in the NBA? Canada won the baseball gold medal at pan am so that's pretty good. Canada is not just focused on one sport. There are people here who hate hockey. So stop saying it's only because we focus on hockey that we're number 1 in it. And the so called expansions to help grow hockey in the desert just isn't working. The NHL is losing money in these areas. Remember when the Coytoes went bankrupt? They would get so much money if they went to Quebec. And at the end of the day the NHL is just a buissnrss. It needs/cares about money above all else.

9. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

Also you joined this argument late so I don't know why you can question it

10. Boomer7788

Boomer7788 Rookie

Johnny, on the first regular season home game next year you got to show us the raising of the stanley cup banner before the game starts then just exit so it can be simulated.

11. MrGuy9021

MrGuy9021 Pro

That's how you limit your bottom line. Essentially, could the NHL be content with being a sport that only hardcore fans watch and only keeping it in Canada and the Northern part of America? Yea, they could.... but eventually that runs dry. Why is the NFL playing games in England? Why does the NBA have a team in Canada? Same with baseball potentially having a team in Cuba when relations further develop... it's because you want MORE money moving forward. The NHL doesn't wanna be the big fish in a small pond, it wants to be up there competing with the rest and by not doing that they're admitting defeat. That's why I always find it funny whenever Canadians hate on Southern teams in hockey, because without the game further growing to expand and grow (EVEN with it's struggles... look at the Tampa Bay Lightning, they're a Florida team who has developed one hell of a fanbase since their owner and that front office is dedicated to making it happen) you guys are going to be affected when the game starts to take a hit.

Essentially, it doesn't have to be Canada vs USA. I don't think if the Raptors or the Blue Jays won a title and an American team won the next year that Americans would be saying "the title is back where it belongs." Both countries and sports are better off working together as one another, which is why I bothered to post and respond to you in the first place.

12. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

Yes I get a lot of what you're saying. However the NBA has 1 team in Canada. Not 23. Not over 3/4 of their league. That's what bugs me. I get the need to expand and try to draw more fans in but why 23-7? That makes no sense when hockey has a better market in canada

13. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

I get why what I said made you respond. I was just all caught up in the excitement of Johnny's video that's all. I agree. Canada without America is most likely just another British Colony. America without Canada is…we'll probably pretty similar. But still this issue of 23-7 has bothered me for a long time

14. what im saying is that american teams has more succsess at winning the cup.

15. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

Because your odds are 23 to 7

16. Pierre LeBrun

Pierre LeBrun Rookie

Great team play by the Ottawa Senators notches them their first Stanley Cup in Franchise history. Team has been linked to Vladimir Tarasanko in recent trade talks with the Blues who they just beat in the Finals.

17. nick malesh

nick malesh Rookie

We did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The end was nail biting! I seriously thought I was gonna vomit everywhere. We have to keep the same team next year.

18. ShaggMiester

ShaggMiester Rookie

When i watch these gm modes, i am honestly sweating like a horse man. I love this series and never stop!!! Go Dadonov!!!!!!!

19. Slapshot Tommy

Slapshot Tommy Superstar 3

What a year, It's very rare any team in the game gets the Presidents trophy and the Stanley cup so congrats Johnny, that is one hell of a team that's been crafted.

Avengers Assembled? Nah son, Senators Assembled.

Also, can we please check up on the stats / overalls of the big picks from years passed? Eichel, McDavid, Zod and Rogers please :)

20. BrendanGallagher

BrendanGallagher Rookie

Evgenii Dadonov...
    What a beast!
    Future Hall of Famer!