OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 33 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

Offseason time boyos

2. Banana

Banana Legend 3

I'd get Blidh. For who to get as backup, maybe that V. Kozlov. I know you don't like getting younger guys in free agency, but he can battle it out with Savard until he proves himself. Who knows what kind of jump Savard will get, so I say get the lower overall guy who can still improve then see if Savard is ready for next season. You can also save some cap this way.

3. Banana

Banana Legend 3

I'd also look into signing some younger players with potential. You have a very small prospect pool, so I'd look into signing a bunch of high-rated prospects in free agency, like Boston did this year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  4. Tpop

Tpop Veteran 2 LEGEND

John, I know cap space would make it a tight fit, but if you could sign Kari Lehtonen at an 84 overall backup goalie, it would be ideal for a playoff run to have a veteran backup in there just in case. Also if you have enough, sign that super swede grinder! He would really help out your bottom 6!

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. I'd definitely sign that Super-Swede grinder Blidh for your Bottom 6. As for your backup, I'd get Jonas Enroth. He isn't asking for much and he is also a Super-Swede. I would also look into signing someone like Dan Hamhuis as a wily veteran depth defenseman in case any injury occurs or one of Tyutin or Braun drops more than expected.

6. ZUCC

ZUCC Hall Of Famer

Sign the super swede grinder and a backup tendy

7. Severson

Severson Rookie

Johnny, I think you should get severson, he's a lot younger than Braun and cheaper too, although the Devils may not "want" Braun as shown by the trade block, you bring a good point, they need a veteran defender to help their young forwards. Severson would be able to progress well on the 3rd pair next to a veteran like tyutin. But back to the cap, he's half the cap of Braun and he still has room to grow, go get severson Johnny

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    • Disagree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Dumb x 1
    • List
  8. FrostMo

FrostMo Rookie

First of all sign Dadonov to a little one year deal at 0.865 million and as for the available free agents you should sign Matt Carle or Derick Roy at 1 year for 2.550 million. For the backup goalie get Gustafson and I suggest keeping him. I still want you to trade Condra and Greening cause I feel they weren't part of that bottom 6 depth we had, so trade them for Stoll and Morrow cause they could be possible backups if an injury happens.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

Nothing special with the roster now Johnny. Fill that back-up goalie spot and get prepared to defend.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

Maybe deal Condra/Greening for young prospects age 20-24. Johnny's team is very young and very now, and his prospect pool is empty for the future.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  11. ClockwerrkMP

ClockwerrkMP Rookie

I think you should pick up Gustavsson for a 1 year deal instead of Leghtonen or Enroth. Because you don't need an 84 overall backup goaltender when he is more than likely just gonna cost you cap problems and could possibly spark a goalie controversy if he starts to outplay Lehner, with not signing him and reducing the cap (if you need to) you could pick up a good player at the deadline / pick up depth and not have to worry about Cap problems . Enroth is the same overall as Gustavsson, but Enroth is asking for a higher price. so that's why you should instead go with Gustavsson. In the following year I think you should bring him down to the minors and let Brendan Hope come up as the backup goaltender instead of Savard (depending on the growth)

because From past experiences, I had Niklas Jensen playing in the AHL at a 83 overall because of roster issues. Next year he jumped to an 86 green star. So in my opinion if Hope is an 82 and Savard is an 81, you should run with Hope for that year, Hope would also be older and possibly more mature than Savard. And Gustavsson can share his NHL knowledge with Savard down in the minors.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. TuukkaRaskfan40

TuukkaRaskfan40 Commissioner

I'd go after Lehtonen as a seasoned backup and Blidh because he has good def. awarness for a 3rd liner and he could still grow a little bit.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Shakeil

Shakeil Rookie

SIGN GUSTAVSSON, DO IT... JUST DO IT

14. Golden Crowl

Golden Crowl Hall of Famer

Sign the Super Swede Blidh so he can play as a 4th line grinder with Smith and Abdelkader. Move Dadanov to the 3rd line and sign Enroth to a one year deal. If Hope or Savard jump to the point where they can be a backup, use Enroth in the AHL.

15. Predators

Predators Veteran

A few things: show the prospect free agents. Also, inspect you prospect pool for those 3.5 yello/red rookies. Some you gave up for Tyutin, but you still have some. Players like Lanoue and Bear might make the NHL, so you could keep them, but 55-69 overall players with aforementioned potential should bee traded to enhance the prospect pool. Of course, a few of these player for a single possible star is shrinking the pool, butyou are taking value that is a risk, and making it less of a risk.

I have said it before, I say it again. These useless prospects have to go. They are leaving you with value (which is in short supply) and you are not using it.

Also, sign the 23 and check his draft stats, please. Also sign potential players.

16. stoked wiscon

stoked wiscon Rookie

but hes 34 y old he probly retire in a year

17. stoked wiscon

stoked wiscon Rookie

um i say go for chad johnson hes young and he wants 1 mil but 81 ovr so get him as back up then u sign that defence man grn and maby hot carle

18. Tpop

Tpop Veteran 2 LEGEND

Yes but if he signs him to 1 year it's fine, because Hope or Savard should be ready by then!

19. TheGameChanger

TheGameChanger Rookie

Johnny, what i would do in free agency is go after a guy like Trevor Lewis. He's only asking for $1.86 mil but you could decrease the amount like you did with Lindholm and Karlsson, and he could be the guy that fits your depth role and he's an amazing penalty killer and chips in with that timely goal every now and then. And to solve your backup goalie issue I think that Gustavsson would be the best choice because Lethonen's asking price is a bit high for your cap space and you could save some money rather than choosing Enroth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  20. stoked wiscon

stoked wiscon Rookie

maybe if savarden gets the ahl trophy he might be a 82 in a year

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List