OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 33 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Jojjen

Jojjen Rookie

You should get the super Swede Blidh to have on the 4th line instead of Maroon. He doesn't only have a better overall than Maroon, he has also better defensive awareness and he is still only 24 years old.

Also, Dadonov should be ready for the third line.

Defensively you are set, even though you can make some improvements. Tyutin will probably drop (as you stated in your last video) but will probably still be perfect for the top 6 with his great defensive category. If he continues to drop throughout the season, trade him (+ a draft pick of choice) for a younger dman like Severson. Severson would continue to grow next to a veteran like Braun. Not only do you get a younger defenceman by doing this, you also free up some cap space.

As for the backup goalie situation, trade a prospect like Hope (yes, we have Hope but you had him in the ARZ GM Mode) and a draft pick of choice for a backup goalie. Or just sign Enroth, he has the best potential still and will not drop yet. Lehtonen will probably drop though and Gustavsson will probably do the same.

Start of the season lineup:
    Schwartz - Turris - STONE COLD
    Burakovsky - Zibanejad - Hoffman
    Wingels - Lazar - Dadonov
    Hero - Smith - Blidh

Lindholm - Karlsson
    Wiercioch - Ceci
    Tyutin - Braun

Lehner
    Enroth/someone else

Great series btw!

2. stoked wiscon

stoked wiscon Rookie

3. Saint Patrice

Saint Patrice 2BC Elite

Don't worry about a backup. If Savvy isn't ready, Hope will be.

4. stoked wiscon

stoked wiscon Rookie

idk maybe

5. Saint Patrice

Saint Patrice 2BC Elite

Hope's already 78 OVR and 4 yellow stars, he should be at least an 81.

6. BigRubberDuck

BigRubberDuck Rookie 2

Hey Johnny, just wanted to tell you to look out for players between the age 19-24 have 2.5 or 3 Green Star potential with an overall of 76-79. Reason being is at the end of off season THEY WILL JUMP TO 80 IF NOT OVER 80! I've seen it happen too many times, in my current gm mode my AHL team is fulled with these guys, the're great depth and I don't have to worry about where they play because they have 2.5 stars and most likely wont grow, not to say that they can't grow because they can, a few even over 82. (highest I've seen is 84) So I recommend taking a looking into them and even check free agents after the off-season but before preseason just after everyone gets there jump to see if you can find anything. This has helped my team a lot and I think it could help yours too, you don't have a lot of prospects so gaining some of these cheep depth guys will help M.Savard and B.Hope win games down in the AHL. That's all keep making great content Johnny!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Brew22

Brew22 Legend 3 LEGEND

Just sign prospects and there was some solid 80 overall players that wanted two-way deals so maybe there's a perfect depth player hidden there? Also I'd sign Enroth and that 23 year old you liked

8. Cameron Martin

Cameron Martin Rookie 2

Sign the super Swede grinder for depth, prospects, and lehtonen/enroth for your backup goalie.

9. Dillon

Dillon Rookie

Sign blidh. His potential isn't great but it could change by the next season( potentials change all the time) and you could sign him for 3 mil. A backup goalie is around 1.5 more. Also sign VERMETTE for depth and look at some of the RFA's under 25 that are looking for 2 way contracts because their overall is low but they have high potentials. (Check top potentials for goalies and all skaters also, hidden gems come up in the later years)

10. I have a feeling that Savard won't grow to be any better then in Arizona when you had Glugo (I can't remember for the life of me how to spell his name, trade him while he still has the potential for maybe a younger 4.5 Star Forward to fit a solid #1 Forward at the moment or in the future, regardless, it will help out the team. Also hasn't Lehner proven himself enough against the haters? He will still be here for a couple more years untill Hope has reached 84-86 around where he was in Arizona, I guess check potential of people like Tyler Toffoli in this GM? In mine I was able to get him 91 Toffoli who was 26 4 Green at the time who ended with 103 Points playing with nobody higher then 87 along side him. Some other rookies (81-85 atleast now) I can think of are maybe: Marner on Vancouver or Szwarz on Anaheim Both could fit your need of a Top 3 forward in 1-2 Years. Marner already had a great shot at episode 22 when you checked the rookie forwards, and I'm not sure about Szwarz, all I know was he was a good playmaker. Also you said you considered trading MacKenzie Savard at one point of the episode.

11. I think Savard won't grow much, playing in the AHL still has made him grow very little.

12. Snake3001

Snake3001 Hall of Famer

Definetly get a cheaper back up. One of the 81's but someone who allows you to still sign the super-swede grinder AND still have cap space for next offseason. Also, you have to remember that Hope or Savard might grow next year and be ready to play backup minutes and it would be easier to either play an 81 in the minors or deal the cheaper salary rather than the expensive 84.

13. G S P

G S P Hall of Famer

Get rid of Condra Smith and Fontaine no point on keeping useless forwards sign Blidh Enroth or Gustavsson and pick up some prospects

14. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

Obviously you don't want to break up a Cup team but you do need to realize that Lehner stood on his head. (You guys got outshot badly for most the series) Lindholm and Karlsson form a beastly top 2, but the 2nd line has been a minus for quite some time I believe. Ship out Ceci or Wiercoch for a more defensively sound defenseman for that 2nd line. Ceci puts up points so Wiercoch is probably the better option. Get a 85-86 overall TWD who's better defensively and has some offensive upside.

EDIT: Matt Carle might work if you can afford him but I'd recommend getting a decent backup and Blidh. The game sometimes explodes some players, this Blidh guy might continue his unexpected growth. Likely not, but he's a good story to look out for and looks like a solid 4th liner. With the remaining cap pick up a decent backup (like Enroth or even Lehtonen if you want to keep Lehner on his heels so he doesn't expect the #1 is his regardless)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  15. Dejc57

Dejc57 Rookie

Johnny, I'd sign Blidh as a solid bottom six grinder and Enroth for the backup role (two super swedes never hurts). Also, if you were ever thinking of a trade, I'd consider taking a look at David Bolland. Usually his defensive stats are quite good as well as his faceoffs (a category that often gets overlooked but is quite valuable in late third period/penalty kill situations).

16. Icecrafter105

Icecrafter105 Veteran 2

Go for the 23 year old Super Swede grinder. Even though he might not grow much, he will still be around for the long haul.

17. braden holtby 70

braden holtby 70 Rookie 2

you should get brandon holtby to be your backup and trade srivbens

18. Ryan A

Ryan A Rookie

Johnny HEAR ME OUT!!!! What you need to do is sign the super sweede grinder for depth. Get him for asking price or a little more. That leaves you with enough cap to sign Lehtenon too. It works out perfect and the grinder works out since he is young and you have a experienced back up for the next 2 years or so!! I think you take the risk!

19. Icecrafter105

Icecrafter105 Veteran 2

Blidh, that's his name

20. braden holtby 70

braden holtby 70 Rookie 2

You should trade for a top 6 left wing Ex: Perry,Justain Willems,Oshi,

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
    • List