OTTAWA GM Mode Ep. 43 Discussion

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators GM Mode' started by Johnny Superbman, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Johnny Superbman

Johnny Superbman Admin 2BCProductions

Good season once again for the Sens... how bout that trade deadline decision?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  2. Mike Yeo

Mike Yeo Rookie 2

Johnny you should have traded Edler, a roster forward that St. Louis wanted, and your 2nd for Pietrangelo. I think you would have been able to keep Pietrangelo, Karlsson, and Lindholm for next year too.

3. Slapshot Tommy

Slapshot Tommy Superstar 3

Agree with passing on A.P.
    Too much trade value, and you would absolutely have to take Lazar or Edler off the 2nd Power Play.
    I think we are skimming on resources, and would we really have a lot to gain a top 4 D man when we couldn't res-sign him?

Right decision made Johnny!
    I think we can forget the shaky last 20 as it will (hopefully) just be Lehner between the pipes.
    #GoSenVengers

4. HockeyGuide

HockeyGuide Rookie

after this year if mackenzie savard is good to go put him in and trade robert lehner and a 1st pick and 2nd pick if needed for a 92+ LW sniper and under 28 if you get this i think ottawa will be waaay better off

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Liam Campbell

Liam Campbell Pro

You should have done it you could have had a legendary defense gone down IN HISTORY And had the presidents 3 years in a row! Why?

6. Brew22

Brew22 Legend 3 LEGEND

Should have done the deal. You only have like 1 more year max left after this one so you should of just gone all out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Tim Murray

Tim Murray Rookie 2

I am glad you chose not to trade ceci. He had his best season to date and on the second line had more points and was a -2 to AP's -7. Smart move in my opinion. I would like to see AP's stats compared to Ceci tho.

8. SuckItPhaneuf

SuckItPhaneuf Veteran

I think passing on Pietrangelo was for the best, but you could have picked up Boychuk for your top 6.

9. THE D

THE D Hall of Famer

Imagine what you could've done with Lindholm, Karlsson, Edler AND Pietrangelo. My god, every other GM would've kneeled before you for being such a god. You could've sacrificed Ceci and a few of your bust prospects and draft picks for Pietrangelo. It would've been a huge boost for you to get the President's IMO. You don't really need those draft picks anyways. At least not all of them. St. Louis wanted Ceci too. I hope you made the right decision Johnny because that route you could've gone down might one day bite you in the ass

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  10. JetsFan123

JetsFan123 Hall of Famer

That defensive core would've been so dirty if you made that trade, but I'm glad you didn't trade ceci he's been part of the time for a while now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

11. Jontheasian

Jontheasian Rookie

Should've went through with the trade imagine

Lindholm-Karlsson
    Edler- A.P
    Wiercoch-Braun

That's such filthy defensive core

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  12. MrGuy9021

MrGuy9021 Pro

lol Florida beat you twice in crucial games while still going for the President's.

As for the potential trade, I think you shoulda rolled with it.... numerous years heading to the Stanley Cup Finals but then finally not pulling the trigger for simple "taking away ice-time from Karrlson or Lindholm" is a pretty bad reason IMO. Would the Chicago Blackhawks not pull a deal like that if it means they'd just get another run at the cup and just continue building onto their arsenal?

It does avoid having issues next year with contracts but if you don't win the Stanley Cup this year it's gonna be "what-if" city in Ottawa.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. HoPE x NaSHTY61

HoPE x NaSHTY61 Let's Go Rangers!!!

Do you realize that next year you will have the exact same situation u had with Leland Irving and Alex Dubeau in your CGY GM?

You will want to play Lehner ( who is Irving ) while every1 else will want you to play Savard ( who is Dubeau )

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. HampusLindholm

HampusLindholm Rookie 3

Haha, I had to type this very carefully because my hand gkot bruised. I'm sorry about my fatal spelling error. As you can tell, us Swedes just can not spell.

- Sincerely, Hampus Lindholm

15. HampusLindholm

HampusLindholm Rookie 3

Tyler Seguin a casual *****

Attached Files:

16. smsfan3

smsfan3 Rookie

Personally, I would have gone with the trade.

Every team has their ups and downs. You could have had three President's Trophies in a row! Sure, it would hurt the team maybe five years in the future, but you might as well win while you can before the rebuild cycle commences. If you wanted the trophy that bad, you should have augmented your skill on defense. The trade also could have refined Mackenzie Savard's stats in his first year in the NHL, therefore assisting your Senators in two ways.

Keeping someone who has been on the team a while just for "tradition's sake" is ultimately a bad decision most of the time. I once traded John Tavares while GMing the Islanders when he was 92 and beginning to drop for a 90 overall defenseman. That 90 overall defenseman went all the way up to 95 in two years before coming down to earth at 93 for a while. I also traded a 90 overall center who was my stud at offense and a second round draft pick for a 91 overall center, which became 94 over a year, and also went back down to 93.

Reply with anything you would like to add, if there is anything. A rating would also be appreciated. Thanks!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Erratic Luck

Erratic Luck General Manager

I think you should've at least looked at what it would've taking to get Boychuk

18. TheStarsFan

TheStarsFan Rookie 3

Definitely agree not making the trade.

Yes you probably guaranteed 3 consecutive Presidents Trophys and in an amazing spot for yet another Stanley Cup but unless Mr. Melnyk is granting you more budget in Yr 7 you'd have a ridiculous time trying to resign everyone.

BUT, as i've seen a comment or two saying making too many of these block buster trades in succession leaves you short on depth and prospects for the future.

Ceci is proven to be a stable workhorse for your depth D-Men, and being 26 years old, he's a great long term D-Man.

Your concern should be the 16 pts Stone got in 82 games.

19. Tyler Carter

Tyler Carter Hall of Famer 2

Going for AP would have been a good move if you were going all in, but you'd be in deep shit with the cap if you had made the trade and likely would have had to let him go. If you had a top defensive prospect coming up that would actually be ideal but you lack a prospect like that so letting him go was for the best. However, Boychuk would have been an excellent addition to the bottom 6. He's got 5 star defense and replacing Wiercioch with him would have been a great move to further your defensive identity.

Also, I'll hop on the Stone bandwagon. You said he might be a good defensive forward but check his hit stat. 16 points is not good enough. Additionally, he's a -3. Blidh outperformed him with 23 points. It's too late to move Stone out but Blidh was a +10 so try him out on the 3rd line and move Stone down. Konecny also performed even more poorly and scratching him at least a couple games in the playoffs in favor of a Sens vet like Condra should be in the question. (a -4 playmaker isn't going to work on the 4th line so scratching him is probably the ideal option) The entire 4th line did well so swapping the entire 4th line with the 3rd might prove to be fruitful as well.

My suggestions for your bottom 6:

Abdelkader - Lazar/Smith - Blidh
    Condra - Lazar/Smith - Stone

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. GoofyGoon69

GoofyGoon69 Rookie 2

Passing on Pietrangelo was a great decision. However, an upgrade for Braun with Boychuk would have been great. Also, move Blidh up to the 3rd line.