Please Read Before Posting

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by PGen98, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

First, if you're new to the site, welcome! Please feel free to post an introduction, we even have a template to get you started, which you can view HERE.

Some Guidelines for the Introductions Forums:

We want to encourage you to post welcome messages to everyone who posts an introduction. We've got a very solid community built up so far, and it's great that you want to help in making members feel welcomed; however, please take note of a few things before you respond to an introduction:

A Quick Note For Members Posting Their Introductions:

1.) In-Character Introductions

We understand that people like to take on pseudonyms and personalities that emulate their favourite players or characters from the NHL or 2BC Universe. While this is perfectly fine and can be a bit of fun, when it comes to your introduction, we're more interested in getting to know you the poster, not you the character you're portraying. We're not going to force you not to post an In-Character Introduction, but we would really rather you didn't do this and introduced yourself as yourself. We know enough about the NHL players and 2BC characters that we really don't need an 'introduction' post from them. If you want to, do it, but please consider posting your introduction as yourself.

2.) Quick-Tips for Success on the Forums

A fair few people are wondering how to build up their reputation within the forums, and how they can make themselves more 'visible' to the rest of the community. Everyone wants to have their opinions heard and be seen to be a contributing and lively member of the community, and that's perfectly understandable; however, there have been some incidents that highlight the ways not to do this. Here are a couple of pointers of things to avoid:

• Message Count / Post Count -- Many people think that having a high postcount equates to an elevated reputation and level of 'respect.' This is a complete myth, postcount means absolutely nothing within the context of the community and is not something you need to actively pursue in order to improve your standing. I recognize that it may seem silly for that to come from myself, since I have one of the highest postcounts on the site, but understand that I do not view my postcount, like totals, point totals, rank or Moderator status as being keys to who I am as a member of this community. I post a lot because I have fun interacting with the community, and you should post at a level you feel comfortable with, not a level that is going to see a title underneath your name or a useless metric increase in value.
    • Spam Threads / Conversation Threads / Double Posts -- We have, sadly, had incidents of people trying to work their way up the ranks and postcount totals by turning threads into spam conversations, or double-posting in response to a thread. Do not do this, it is spam and it will result in actions taken by the Moderators or 2BCProductions Staff.
    • Like / Point Totals -- As with Message / Post Counts, Like and Point Totals are not representations of your standing within the community. They are simply metrics that can be collected, and will have absolutely no bearing on your status as a member in the 2BC Community. Collect them for fun, not for status.
    • Asking to Become a Moderator -- It's understandable that people want to help out the 2BC Community as much as possible, and one way of doing that is by joining the 2BC Moderators; however, many have gotten the impression that becoming a 2BC Moderator means elevating their status, it does not. 2BC Moderators are charged with keeping the forums and chatbox in line as much as possible, and while we do indeed get a Moderator bar under our names, and our names are Green in colour, this has absolutely no bearing on anything. We do a job that sometimes requires us to play the 'bad guy' role in order to keep things clean and orderly. It's not always fun, but it is necessary. Not a single person who presently holds a Moderator rank asked for it, we were approached to become Moderators. If you want to become a Moderator, do what you can to show you are mature enough to handle the authority, that you have an interest in helping the 2BC Community to improve, and that you are thick skinned enough to take criticism from people without resorting to using your position to do harm to them in retaliation. Also remember that one of the quickest ways to ensure you do not get asked to join the Moderator team is by asking for it. The adage 'don't call us, we'll call you' is the most appropriate way to think of things in this regard. We notice people who stand out in the right way, and we bring recommendations that we think would make good Moderators to the Staff, so let it happen naturally.
    These are just a few helpful tips of things to avoid. This list will be updated as more things need to be added, so feel free to keep checking back! Ultimately, try your best to have fun within the 2BC Community! Don't worry about your status or being noticed, just try and interact and make new friends! It's a fantastic group of people here, and you can have a great time getting to know everyone if that's your primary focus ;).

Notes For Members Posting Responses to Introductions:

1.) Generic Messages:

We've been seeing a lot of people posting extremely generic messages in response to introductions. Things like "Welcome!" or "Enjoy the Site!" in every topic that you post in does nothing to really welcome to the new member into the community. This is viewed, for all intents and purposes, as just Spam posted in an effort to raise your post count. If you are serious about wanting to be welcoming, take the time to read the introduction that the member has posted, find something you relate with, and make a comment about it ("Oh, you like Futurama, too? I really love it because..." or "Wow, you're going into the medical field? That's fantastic, what do you think your specialty will be?"), just make sure it's engaging and shows you paid attention to what they had to say and are trying to relate to that person.

We do not want to see the generic messages when it comes to introductions because this is the first interaction most new members will have with the community here, and it sends a poor message if the first thing they read is a quickly posted generic message that essentially screams "I'm only here for the $postcount++ and now it's onto the next one!" Just put some effort into it and really work to make that person feel like we want them here and we want them to be a part of this community.

2.) Bumping Topics Past a Week Old:

This community is a vibrant and extremely fast-paced community at this particular stage in its' life, and while we're certainly still trying to figure everything out in the early goings, it's pretty much common knowledge that certain things are best left untouched after a specific time frame. In this case, we feel that the useful life of an introduction is right around one week, unless there's an active and engaging conversation taking place within that introduction thread. If an introduction was posted more than a week ago and is only receiving the odd Welcome message, or has not been posted in for more than a week, do not post in it. If it's getting closer to a week since the last post and there is nothing more to really contribute to it, it would be best to just leave it alone at that point.

If you want to add something to your own introduction thread, then feel free to do so, but again, if it's getting close to the week cut-off, then please avoid bumping it if at all possible. Also, please do not bump a thread just for the sake of bumping it. As mentioned, this is a highly active community at this stage, and not everything is going to be responded to immediately. Rest assured, though, we have a good community here so far, and we do want to make you feel as welcomed as possible!

3.) Double (etc.) Posting:

A growing trend within the community has been to post multiple posts at a time in a single topic. Please do not do this, it is regarded as a form of spamming or boosting and will either result in a post deletion or a post merging when a moderator sees it. While we understand that things can sometimes need to be fixed or added onto from your previous post, there is an Edit button readily available to let you do just that. There is no need to post a second time in succession, and it is advised you avoid doing so.

4.) Attacking Members of the Community:

A troubling trend that we want to put a stop to as quickly as possible is the personal attacking of other members. We know you're not going to agree with everything that everyone says, and we're certainly not looking to stifle healthy debates; however, should a topic start to reach the point where members are lobbing personal attacks at other members, then Moderators or members of the 2BC Staff will intervene to put an end to it as quickly as possible. If a member of the 2BC Staff or a Moderator tells you to stop attacking a member, and you persist in that attack, you will be warned and the incident will be reviewed for possible further action (as needed).

This is not meant as a scare tactic. We want this to remain a fun and friendly place to interact, but there also needs to be a guideline and standard set in place to ensure that this is a good environment for everyone, not just a select few.

That's about it for now, enjoy the Introductions forum and have fun posting on the site!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Barzy

Barzy Hall of Famer 3 LEGEND

I have a question I have been on this website for almost a month but I forgot to do an intro should I still do an intro or just let it go and forget about it

3. PGen98

At this point, it's probably not worth it to post an introduction unless you particularly want to ;).

4. Barzy

Ok thanks most people know me so I wont

5. PGen98

Just posting here to note that the first post has been updated to include a few new sections for members.

Also reserving this post as a potential 'Part 2,' since the first post has now hit the character limit.

6. Barzy

I totally agree with what you added I noticed a few people were like # me for mod or vote me for mod and I will do this and this and that hopefully more people see this thread and realize that they shouldn't ask for being mod also I don't know if you have posted something about this but I've noticed and I'm pretty sure you have especially in the introductions people are spamming advertisements and are basically using this website to spam there website to make more money or get more people to buy there product now if people want to do this there is a section called
    " Internet Deals " so if you could please let people know that there is a section to post this stuff and basically If they post it in any other section I consider this spam

7. PGen98

The people that have been registering just to post those are all ad bots, and I've been deleting them as soon as I see them. If they're for legitimate topics/products/channels/etc, then I'll move them over, but for the most part they're simply spamming random nonsense with a link to various products.

On the plus side, if I ever need 'male enhancement,' I certainly know where to go now...:facepalm

8. Barzy

Ok I get it thanks

9. Corrado Distefano04

Corrado Distefano04 Rookie 2

how exactly do u get points and trophys

10. PGen98

If you go to the badges tab on your profile, you'll see several categories, click each one to reveal what badges are available to collect, how to collect them, and how many points they are worth. They're basically just a bit of fun :)

Direct link: http://2bcproductions.com/members/corrado-distefano04.901/badges/

11. JetsFan123

JetsFan123 Hall of Famer

Very informative. Posting on the forums can be really fun lol.

12. pricetag

pricetag Legend 2

very nice introduction to the introduction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.