NYR Recapping the Deadline

Discussion in 'National Hockey League' started by Frankie, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

March 1st has come and gone and the Rangers made three trades, only one of which will impact the NHL squad. After all of the speculation, Kevin Shattenkirk, and Larry Brooks scaring the fan base into thinking that Steve Ott was on his way to NY, the Rangers were fairly quiet. The big splashes of years past did not surface this year under Jeff Gorton. Let's dive into the trades the Rangers made.

:det Receives: 2017 3rd Round Pick ( :nyr ) and 2018 2nd Round Pick ( :ott)
    :nyr Receives: D Brendan Smith

:buf Receives: D Mat Bodie
    :nyr Receives: F Dan Catenacci

:edm Receives: F Justin Fontaine
    :nyr Receives: F Taylor Beck

Analysis:

The Brendan Smith trade is the main move, so I will start there (no reason for you to read the AHL trades if you don't want to). My first impression of this trade is "Good". Brendan Smith immediately becomes better than at least 3 of the Rangers defensemen (Staal, Girardi, and Klein). I have not seen him play that much, but from what I can gather, he is a great shot suppressor with decent skating ability and can make a good first pass. With all of the draft picks traded in the past, I am not thrilled about giving up a 2nd round pick, but they did have two in next years draft. When I received news of this trade I was like, "Great! One of Holden or Klein will be traded."

This gives me hope, but also kind of confuses me. Once all are healthy, the Rangers will have 8 defensemen on the roster. I don't understand why Jeff Gorton is comfortable with having Klein as the 7th defender. D-men were going for a premium at the deadline and Klein could have brought back a pretty penny. Maybe it is in hope that Klein is claimed in the expansion draft, but I guess we will never know. Lastly, this almost certainly spells the end for Adam Clendening in New York which is such a shame because him and Skjei have made a solid pair on the back end.

Now onto the two minor league deals. Bodie is a 26-year-old defender in his third professional season. He is a solid puck moving defender with limited potential. On a bad team he would probably be a 7th defender with offensive capabilities. He did captain the WolfPack this past season. The reason he was traded, however, was because he asked for one. He felt that he needed a fresh start. The Rangers receive 23-year-old Daniel Catenacci. Smaller player that will almost certainly spend the rest of the season in Hartford. I doubt he is resigned at the end of the year.
    The only trade made by the Rangers on deadline day was a minor-league forward swap with the Edmonton Oilers. I love this trade, for as much as you can "love" a minor league trade. The Rangers signed Fontaine over the summer expecting him to be that offensive dynamo in Hartford. His stay could be described as lukewarm. The 29-year-old forward put up 30 points in 50 games on a team with possibly the worst offense in the league. The Rangers acquire a younger forward who has 50 points in 40 games with the Bakersfield Condors. I would love to see Beck placed on a line with Adam Tambellini to see if the two would hit it off. Beck is a reliable AHL scorer (215 points in 283 games) who could maybe give the WolfPack a sign of life offensively.

If I were to give the Rangers a grade for the deadline, I would give them a B-. There acquisition of a positive possession player is promising, but the unwillingness to part with one of Klein or Holden and recoup assets was not the smartest move, in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. frank p

frank p Legend 2

I heard of Taylor Becks name from Nashville but didn't know much about him until today, but man that guy can score. Two 90 point seasons in juniors, and like you said a high scorer in the AHL which will really help the squad who is lacking that. Apparently Catenacci was one of the fastest players in his draft class but I looked at his numbers and his rel gf% and war stats were awful. If Im Gorton, Holden is not a Ranger right now. I can understand there not being a market for Klein because *maybe* other teams gms have caught onto the fact that he's not that good, although I do find that hard believe considering Steve Ott was traded for. But man, Holden? I think I said a second round pick for him in my perfect Rangers deadline thing, but after seeing these prices, a 1st seems possible. If we get a 1st for Holden, that basically evens out the 3rd and second we traded away. To take it a step further that's basically Holden for Smith. And it'd be hard to find anyone who would say they'd rather have Holden. You're right this probably spells the end of Clendo and I'll miss him. If he hadn't been on so many teams I feel like he would have a better reputation, which is ridiculous, but it seems that's the way the higher ups view it. I hope a team like Florida or Carolina pick him up and put him in a situation where he can succeed in the future. So yeah I'm bummed, but atleast we didn't see two first round picks flash before our eyes like in the past.

3. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

It's a damn shame. Look at that tweet by Herman. Skjei-Clendo is a good pairing! When you say that other GM's might view Klein, look at Hainsey. Hainsey can't be THAT much better than Klein that Klein would be unable to be traded. Plus, Hainsey has never played a playoff game in the NHL. Klein has been to the SCF, ECF, and has played 72 playoff games in his career and we all know GM's value that invaluable playoff experience. Klein is in the top-100 of active players in playoff games played. He could easily have fetched a second round pick despite how bad he really is. The same thing goes for Holden. He will NEVER have the same trade value as he did this season and they need to capitalize on that.

4. frank p

frank p Legend 2

Totally agree, that pair has been great. Wherever Clendening has been it seems like that pairing fares perfectly fine if not better. I've watched a bit of Hurricanes games this season because of my liking for Slavin-Pesce, Teravainen and the team in general. I would definitely say Hainsey brings more to the table than Klein, he complimented Faulk well but at times looked pretty slow on his feet and had his fair share of defensive lapses. But I agree with you that Klein is not too far off from Hainseys level. And even though I don't 100% agree with the ideology, GMs do heavily value playoff experience, as you mentioned. So a 3rd round pick at the very least should have been possible from a team like Edmonton. Not too sure what the Rangers do this summer with the defense. Buying out Girardi seems like step 1.

5. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

I cannot fathom a scenario where they can make many, if any, offseason moves without a Girardi buyout. He's been a great soldier for the Rangers, but it's time to move on. If they can somehow move Staal (not hoping for much there), and sign Kevin Shattenkirk, then the defense core becomes:

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
    Skjei-Cledening
    Smith-Holden
    Klein

This isn't a GREAT defensive core, but the defense only needs to be passable. With a sharp Lundqvist and a powerful offensive core, the defense only needs to be okay to make a run at the cup. Point being, a Girardi buyout is the only way to revamp the team.

6. frank p

frank p Legend 2

I think they do something along those lines. At the same time, I find it hard to believe that the Rangers bring back Clendening. Don't get me wrong, I think he's perfectly fine and I would bring him back in a heartbeat, but when AV can't even say he had a good game without mentioning "he had a few bad touches", I don't think the organization trusts him. Also, if I were Clendening I'd like to go somewhere where I could play atleast 65 or 70 games without being scratched. I am pretty confident that we do get Shattenkirk in free agency. It's similar to the Brad Richards situation where we didn't trade for him at the deadline and just waited till July 1. As for Smith, I have no idea how negotiations will go but I think anywhere from 3 to 4 million at 3 to 4 years is fine for a #3-4 guy in the league today. I'm all for shopping around Holden and seeing what the market is for him. Considering some GMs highly value points and plus minus, I figure his price is way more than the 4th we acquired him for. I think trading Staal while he is somewhat tradeable is the only way to go even if we have to move down in the draft. I don't know if Chayka would bite but say next years second and Marc Staal for this years 4th may not be entirely impossible. Arizona needs cap to reach the floor and Staals contract lasts until they would want to start to be competitive. Girardi, buyout. I actually thought of a trade that may work for Klein. If we trade Klein this summer with two years left on his contract and receive a player on a one year contract + assets, it makes sense to do. The one trade I think makes sense for this summer is Klein to Edmonton for Fayne + a 3rd and 5th. Fayne makes slightly over 3m while Klein makes slightly less, but one less year on the contract. Fayne also has been in the AHL but his numbers in the NHL are better than Kleins. McDonagh and Skjei are great, no need to even think to move them. Ryan Graves maybe third pair LHD if Holden and Staal are gone and Smith plays right side. So yeah that's basically my take on the Rangers defense for next season.

7. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

For Girardi, I could potentially see a scenario where he is traded for David Clarkson of the Columbus Blue Jackets. By trading Girardi for Clarkson straight up, Columbus saves $2Million in salary, which is huge for a team like Columbus, and they get a player who is actually playable (not injured). Girardi is also the kind of "gritty warrior tough man" that Tortorella likes having to block shots. The Rangers have tons of money so they can just stick Clarkson right on the LTIR. You are right, Clendening will most likely not return for next season. Holden could recoup some assets at the draft that are much more significant then the 4th round pick he was acquired for. A cap-strapped team that is losing players to free agency might be willing to part with a high draft pick or a good prospect for a guy like Holden. I could see Klein going to Edmonton and I like the idea of Fayne returning the other way. Like I mentioned earlier, salary isn't the biggest deal for the Rangers so the $3.5Million is fine. Plus since he is in the AHL, they would have to part with major assets to get rid of his contract and get a guy like Klein. Staal might be the most difficult piece to move. He has four years left at 5.7Million which is big money. Buying him out isn't really a good option and I have yet to come across a move that would even be close to feasible.

This isn't about the defense, but do you have any opinions on the college FA's that might be available soon? I think Huska is out of the playoffs so they might be able to sign him. Also, I heard that there is a Staten Island native named Zach Aston-Reese who is pretty good also. The Rangers have 4 contract slots that they can use so it will be an intriguing couple of weeks.

Also, I'm thinking once Ronning's season ends he will sign an ATO with Hartford and play there for the rest of the year. I'm going to a WolfPack game at the end of the month and would love to see him play live.

8. frank p

frank p Legend 2

I like the Girardi Clarkson swap a lot, I never really thought about that. I'm not too familiar with any of the college free agents this year. The Rangers do have the tools to recruit college free agents so if Aston-Reese is the real deal then we could probably acquire him. Last year I watched basically every game of the Frozen four tournament so I was pretty familiar with guys like Anas and Cagguila. I know everyone is raving about Huska so maybe he goes pro at the end of this season or next year. I loved drafting Ronning so an early look at him in the AHL would be awesome. Pretty good 5v5 scorer for a 7th rd pick on a bad team. I have spent a decent amount of time looking at this year's draft class though and if the Rangers can somehow get Cale Makar that'd be great. Puck moving right handed dman. And I know not too many people are high on him but I really like Antoine Morand in the QMJHL and if the Rangers want to draft an overage player they could take his linemate Vlad Kuznetsov late in the draft.

9. Aslapshot

Aslapshot Rookie

I'm not too thrilled about the Smith trade. Decent D man, but paid too much for him at a time where we can't afford to give up picks. It's time to think about the future.

10. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

At this rate, I think Cale Makar will be going top-10. Maybe one of the largest risers throughout the year. I am fairly fond of Morand, but if possible, I would much prefer Kailer Yamamoto or Cody Glass (they will probably go before the Rangers pick too). To be honest, I've seen most prospects in this draft class rated between 5-25. I have absolutely no idea where anyone will go aside from the biggest names in the draft. Also, who doesn't love the fact that the Rangers just called up Tanner Glass for "grit". I just love that 1/2 of the call-ups the Rangers receive after the deadline have been used on Glass and Kampfer rather than Graves, Jensen, Hrivik, or even Tambellini.

11. frank p

frank p Legend 2

Yeah at this point Makar seems out of reach. I can't see a right handed D falling with the hype around him. I'm also really high on Glass (not Tanner) and Yamamoto. Id be surprised if they're both not in the top 15 but we have seen guys like Konecny drop fairly far so who knows. Yamamoto would be the guy I think may drop out of the two. Miro Heiskanen, Conor Timmins are a couple dman who I wouldn't mind. And while I don't think Kampfer is awful, I don't see any logical reasoning to call him up instead of Graves other than the fact the he is a right handed shot. Glass, I could go on all day. You gotta wonder what goes on in some of today's NHL gms and fron offices nowadays. Not saying I could do their job, but man the callups have been awful.

12. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

I really hope the Rangers acquire another pick somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round. It will be the second year in a row that they only have 1 pick in the first three rounds, but am overwhelmed with joy that they didn't move the first at the deadline. Something that speaks to me a little bit is the Rangers use of Glass over Puempel. If the Rangers would rather use a forward who has played average hockey at best in the AHL over a 23 year old prospect that still has potential, it cannot bode well for his future. At this point, I doubt he is even resigned by the team; however the most troubling part of this whole ordeal is that the Rangers have gone from valuing young talented forwards with skill, back to "grizzled vets who bring intangibles and grit". This move signals a complete 180 in the Rangers philosophy and it does not bode well for the team. Gorton needs to right this ship. I wouldn't mind a Miro Heiskanen either. With the first round pick I am hoping for a center or a defender. Some potential late round picks that I wouldn't mind are Adam Ruzicka. I just like his game, big body with skill. He definitely needs to improve his game a bit, but if he could put it all together he would be a great 4th or 5th round pick.

13. frank p

frank p Legend 2

The whole infatuation with the gritty guys with intangibles is what makes me so frustrated with AV and the old school thinkers in general. I remember reading this awhile ago, I forget who said it, but it has stuck with me and what they basically said was when he was a kid making a fantasy team on EA Sports he always picked the best possible players from line 1-4 because that made his team the best it could possibly be and the way to have the best possible overall was to pick the most skilled guys. Of course a GM in real life can't have the "90 overall" guys on his 4th line, but the idea of rolling 4 skill lines is so logical that even a kid making a fantasy team on an old NHL game knew it was the smart thing to do. The whole veteran problem is embarrassing, honestly. I feel bad for Clendening who has been dealing with it all year. I think AV has done a fantastic job creating an offensive system that really emphasizes puck movement and generating high scoring chances in tight. It perfectly fits the skill set of the forwards. But in terms of player personnel selections his decision making is abysmal. I don't expect him to change his ideology so Gorton really has to force his hand.

14. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

Well, last nights game just gives the grit crowd something to feed off of, but here is the catch. If Tanner Glass played like he did last night, I would have no problem with him being in the lineup. He controlled possession and was cycling the puck well; however there should be no reason that he plays at the expense of Jimmy Vesey or Pavel Buchnevich. Puempel/Pirri is 'eh', but under no circumstances should 15 be playing over 26/89. Anyway, I am beating a dead horse with this argument so I'll move on to some other big news that happened. Sean Day inked his entry-level contract with the Rangers today. This is good news because he is eligible to play in Hartford next year. I love Day's game. His skating is superb and almost every facet of his game has improved with Windsor of the OHL. I think his offensive numbers have been less than they should because he is playing behind Mikhail Sergachev and isn't receiving that 5v5 time or PP1 time. What do you think of Sean Day? Do you think he can put together the pieces and harness his potential?

15. frank p

frank p Legend 2

I felt good for Glass. Surprised me for sure, highest CF% last night. As for Day,I like him a lot. I watched all the traverse city games and I really liked him there. I watched his game on Saturday or Sunday afternoon on NHL network(I forget which day tbh) and he looked great. I tried nit pick little things but overall the things people say he's good at he showed. He made a couple nice breakout passes as well, which I was happy to see. He scores goals 5v5 at a pretty elite level in juniors, and I give the Rangers so much credit for drafting him even with all the stories and all of that. A lot of times it seems the media makes matters seem worse than it really is with some of these guys. He proved he wasn't a "distraction" or "problem causer"and put together a pretty good draft +1 year. I'm excited to see what he can do in the future. I would be surprised if we don't see him in the NHL in a couple years.

16. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

Pumped for Day. I just got news that Lundqvist will be out for 2-3 weeks with a lower-body injury? That puts Raanta into the starting position for at least 7 games with the potential for 10 and 3 back-to-backs... This eerily reminds me of what happened to Talbot in the past. If Raanta exceeds expectations maybe it bodes well for his trade value and the Rangers move him at the draft. He has 1 year left on his deal at $1M. This is assuming he isn't claimed in the expansion draft. Also, speaking of Raanta, what a freaking steal he was. Ryan Haggerty for Antti Raanta straight up. A legitimate NHL goaltender for a guy struggling to score in the AHL. Sorry, I just had to put that out there. I realize Raanta's smaple size will be smaller than Talbot's was, but do you think there would be a real market for Raanta in the offseason? I'm not too sure with the price that goalies were going for at the deadline, but who knows what will happen. Also, I am interested to see if Magnus Hellberg gets a single start up in the NHL because I have not been too impressed with his play of late. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't resigned either, because he is a UFA come July 1.

17. frank p

frank p Legend 2

Arguably Gortons best trade was getting Raanta. Can't blame Chicago for trading him when they have two great goalies in Crawford and Darling, but they still got fleeced. The goalie market is defenitely the hardest to predict, but I'm all for trading Raanta for a reasonable price this offseason. A team like Boston or Toronto may want some stability for a guy they know can give them 30 games. Loved what he has done for us but he's at his peak on a good contract. Our goalie pool looks good for the future so I really don't know what we do with Hellberg. I figure we give Skapski and Halverson AHL starts next year or maybe even Huska if we sign him out of college, which I don't know if that's probable. I'm still hype for Shesterkin/Shestyorkin (I never know which way to spell it) in 2-3 years.

18. DanielR

DanielR Superstar

Frankie come to the discord

19. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

Don't know what that is.
    I definitely agree with trading Raanta if he is not claimed in the expansion draft. I'd be hesitant to trade him to an eastern conference team, though. My first instinct would be the Calgary Flames. Their goaltending has been underwhelming at times and both Johnson and Elliott are pending UFA's. Now of course I am not sure of Calgary's plans, but if they are looking to switch up their goalie situation than I think the Flames could be a good fit. Assuming Hellberg gets released to free agency, that leaves Lundqvist, Skapski, and Halverson as the only goalies in the system. Lundqvist will obviously remain the starter, but I would feel uncomfortable using Skapski or Halverson as the backup. Both have been fairly underwhelming in the AHL and I would like to see them show some more growth before they step up to the NHL. Signing Huska is a very real possibility I believe. Come next season, I think Huska has what it takes to beat out both Halverson and Skapski, but I still wouldn't trust him with the backup position. For Antti Raanta's replacement, I'd like to see them do exactly as they did with Raanta. Find a goalie with NHL experience that has been overtaken by other goalies. With the tutelage of Benoit Allaire, it could pay off in spades, potentially for the third time. Shesterkin/Shestyorkin (I also don't know which way is the correct way), is sooooo promising. I would go as far and say that he is definitely the best prospect in our system. Also, I'd like to say, I've really been enjoying this discussion of the Rangers with you frank p. It has been stimulating, civil, and a real pleasure, so thank you.

20. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

As of right now, the best two candidates I can find on CapFriendly are Louis Domingue of Arizona, or Dustin Tokarski of Anaheim (lol). Maybe one of Boston's young goalies could work, although I doubt their willingness to part with one of Subban, or MacIntyre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.