Ristolainen's Hit on Guenztal

Discussion in 'National Hockey League' started by Doclaf, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Last night, Rasmus Ristolainen got ejected from a Sabres vs. Penguins game for a hit on Jake Guenztal. Unfortunately, the Pittsburg player's head was turned and he did not have the puck during the hit and he went flying. The hit resulted in a concussion. There are people discussing suspension but I don't think that's deserved. If you watch the video it's clear there is no malicious intent. Ristolainen saw the puck coming, stood up, and made the hit. Unfortunately the puck got deflected on its way there. No malicious intent, and from a guy with no history in dirty plays. It reminded me of the McCabe hit on Laine. Too bad the guy got hurt, but when you have a pass coming low into your skates right in the middle of the ice, you might get hurt.

2. The Young Vladimir

The Young Vladimir Pro

The intention doesn't really make that much of a difference. Obviously he thought that Guentzel was going to pick up the pass, and he intended to hit him as the puck got there. However, it didn't get there, so it was clearly interference. There was an injury on the play. And there was significant contact with the head. I would assume there will be a suspension, but given the lack of disciplinary history and the lack of intent to injure, it probably won't be that long of a suspension. But since they're trying to cut these hits out of the game I would be astonished if he wasn't suspended.

3. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

The contact was to the chest on the initial hit. The concussion presumably occurred due to the contact with the ice. I personally think that the 3 games is a joke. Especially since within a day Roman Polak (a repeat offender) only got 2 for a much more dangerous hit.

4. The Young Vladimir

The Young Vladimir Pro

They acknowledge in the video that Bjorgstrand "turned in a manner to make the hit more dangerous and contributed to the violence of the hit". So part of that "much more dangerous hit" was due to Bjorgstrand himself. And Polak has never been fined or suspended before, so I don't know what you're talking about with him being a "repeat offender".
    And did you even watch the Ristolainen hit? There is clear and obvious contact with the head. They even state, very clearly, that he "makes substantial head contact" as they freeze frame his face plastered against Ristolainen's back. Take the Buffalo blinders off and look at it objectively.

5. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

I mean history with dangerous hits. Plenty has happened without fines or suspension. Look at Crosby. And I think you're the one who hasn't seen the video. Primary point of contact was the chest.

6. The Young Vladimir

The Young Vladimir Pro

Is that why they statedthat there was significant contact with the head in the video? They stopped the video right before Guentzel's face was mashed into Ristolainen's back, so I really don't know why you're even attempting to argue that fact. And it doesn't matter if Polak has a lot of "dangerous hits". They only take into consideration if there have been fines or suspensions in his NHL career. There hasn't. So again, I don't know why you're even mentioning it as if it has an effect on the suspension length. I looked at Crosby. Pretty nice one-handed goal.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Superstar 3

I don't know what to make of it. Looked like he tried to stop sort of. I mean Ristolainen has no past history of any Marchand-like dirty plays, so I really don't know what to make of it!

Either way, Ristolainen was smashing him. The original pass was a Rafael Diaz type of suicide pass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.