Sabres Pipeline

Discussion in 'Prospects/Draft' started by Doclaf, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Right now, former prospects like Sam Reinhart, Tyler Ennis, Rasmus Ristolainen, Zemgus Girgensons, and Will Carrier are playing in the NHL. Three years ago, these guys were just prospects in the system (except Ennis. He's been around). Now, they are in the show and we have a new generation of Sabres growing, ready to make the jump next year to replace aging parts of the roster. I will highlight a few of my favorites in this thread.

Top of the list of prospects I'm excited for is Cal Petersen. He's the current starter for Notre Dame. Petersen has started every game for his team so far this season, with a record of 13-8-2, a save % of 0.922, and a GAA of 2.06. He's been likened to Ryan Miller and we could use a young Ryan Miller right about now. He can be the goalie heading into the next 10 years for the Sabres.

Forget about the ghost, because Buffalo has the Ghoul. Brendan Ghule is a defenseman playing in the WHL. He failed to make the team out of camp because somebody was high. The kid has amazing hands and can play a great two way offensive game that reminds me of OEL. He got an emergency call up and looked like one of the best defensemen on the team. Unfortunately he couldn't stay up but I can't wait to see what he does next year. A perfect replacement for someone like Franson or Gorges.

Giorgio Estephan is an Edmonton native currently playing for the Lethridge Hurricanes. He's an offensive beast with 53 points in 42 games this season. He plays a solid defensive game as well. He is better suited for a top 6 role so it will be interesting to see where he will get slotted in coming years.

Rasmuss Asplund is a Swedish prospect playing in Sweden. He and other top tier Sabres prospect Alex Nylander played together in minors and on the Swedish national team so they could be a powerhouse pair of the future. Asplund doesn't have the most impressive offensive stats but he is good defensively and has some soft hands. Anyone who saw him play in the world juniors knows he has massive potential.

Casey Fitzgerald is fresh off a gold medal win in the world juniors. He was one of the leaders in TOI for team USA and I really liked his play. He's a defenseman that can play with physicality and who can move the puck very well. Add speed into that mix and you have top 4 material and a possible line mate for Ristolainen in the future.

Those are some of my favorite prospects for the Sabres. There are others like Cliff Pu who I also like but these were my favorites. Can't wait to see how they play in the NHL.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  2. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

Casey Fitzgerald, not Fitzpatrick :p

This year isn't looking too good so if we're able to add a Valimaki, Hague or Tolvanen it'd be cool. I figure all these could give us a contending roster in a few years.

3. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Damn autocorrect.

Don't count the Sabres out just yet. With Enzo back they've got another offensive threat. The Atlantic is so close it's ridiculous. This season will come down to the wire.

4. Charles Jr.

Charles Jr. Legend 3

I'm aware that there's still some chances that the Sabres make it, but they'd get destroyed in the playoffs if they would.

I however really want to fill the 2nd LW spot for the future. That's why I want Tolvanen. We could have top 2 lines working like Washington, both getting about the same amount of time
    and have something like this

Nylander-Eichel-Reinhart
    Tolvanen-O'Reilly-Bailey?/Okposo?

Another LHD wouldn't hurt either. As Ristolainen is and will be our best right-handed defenseman for a while, I think we could also aim for left handed dmen if we fall later (around 10 or 11)

5. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

We have Estephan and Pu on the system. They're both super talented, but we don't have room down the middle so one of them could move to the wing.

I agree with the LHD. I had hoped we could have traded for Cam Fowler but that window closed. He would have been a ready to go guy.