Toronto Maple Leafs Season Preview - 2015/16

Discussion in 'Forum Polls' started by Domski, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Domski

Domski Admin 2BCProductions

toronto-ban-1.jpg

One continues to wonder when the Leafs will experience season and playoff success. They have been a very busy team during the off season trading key players and hiring new staff. Are the Leafs on the track to success or future years of continued failure? Let's take a look at key facts.

New Management

[​IMG]

Lou Lamoriello named Leafs General Manager

After spending the last 28 years with the New Jersey Devils organization Lou has been named the 16th General Manager of the Leafs. Under his command, New Jersey made the Playoffs 21 times, won 9 division titles, and won the Stanley Cup 3 times (1995, 2000, & 2003). The Devils had a very impressive run from 1992-93 through 2009-10 finishing with a winning record every season.

Lou's General Manager Record

Mike Babcock hired by Maple Leafs as coach

In May of 2015 Mike Babcock was named the 39th head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He signed an 8 year contract worth approximately 50 million. In ten years with the Detroit Red Wings Babcock guided the team to a record of 458-223-105. He made the playoffs each year with the team, including a Stanley Cup win in 2007-08 season.

Mike's Coach Record

Team Stats Analysis
    - Last 5 Years -

[​IMG]
    I have gathered statistics for the last 5 seasons and placed it in Excel for a better look at where the Leafs need improvement. It's clear they need to cut down on shots against per game which is leading to a lot of goals against. It is hard to win a hockey game when you are being outshot an average of 4.6 shots per game over the last five years. Also, their penalty killing can use a lot of improvement having been under 80% three of the last five years. Defense is a major area the Leafs need to look at if they want to contend in the NHL.

2014-15 Player Stats

[​IMG]
    The Leafs traded Phil Kessel in the off season to the Penguins for defenseman Scott Harrington, forwards Kasperi Kapenen and Nick Spaling, and 1st and 3rd-round picks in 2016. It will be interesting to see how the Leafs offense adapt to losing their leading point scorer for the last 6 seasons. Players like JVR, Bozak, Kadri, and Lupul will need to step up and really quarterback the Leafs offense.

I am excited with the Leafs defense. They are young, talented, and getting NHL experience to improve their game. Jake Gardiner and Morgan Reilly are great both fast, great skaters, and show signs of All Star defensemen. These two will be instrumental in the Leafs rebuild in the upcoming years.

2015 Draft Selections

[​IMG]

I am excited for the the future of the Leafs. I believe we have the right management in position to one day down the road be a competitive Playoff team; however, we have entered a rebuild. I forecast the Leafs missing the Playoffs for the next 2-3 years.

My prediction for the Leafs 2015-16 season...

[​IMG]

Credit:
    http://goo.gl/aTYNGi
    http://goo.gl/JKOhQv
    http://goo.gl/XGms
    http://goo.gl/QE6Qin

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  2. Ghost of Razgriz

Ghost of Razgriz Devils for the cup!

Well you know if Babcock craps the bed(he likely won't) you'll have 2 better spares than Horacheck. Lou and Lemaire both coached the devils multiple times

3. TuukkaRaskfan40

TuukkaRaskfan40 Commissioner

I asume the Devils and Sabres are below the leafs

4. FGCHippoGamer

FGCHippoGamer Legend

Definitely agree with you Domski. We really need some stud defender. We got the offensive stud, Phil Kessel last year, which is traded away to the Pittsburg Penguins which sucks but now we got nobody that is a stud. I think that the leafs need to do bad in the regular season so that we might get some early pick. I highly doubt that Nick Spaling is going to perform as well as Phil because you know he is new to the team and he needs to build some chemistry around the team. The reason of the leafs to play that bad could also be a sign of bad coaching. Looking in a leaf game, we just cannot get anything going in the offensive zone and it happens in every single game. You could say that goaltending is not good but I think it is good enough. We just cannot get any offense. Offense can be a great way to defense in some sort of ways. If you are in the offensive zone most of the time, the chance of getting goals should be higher because you can put more shots on net and more pressure on the opponent team. But if your offense is not good, then you are done. We just need to improve in many aspect and I think offensive should be the one to improve immediately. If we want to improve the offense right now, maybe we could trade away some of our 1st or 2nd round pick along side with a roster player for a stud who is willing to leave. But I highly doubt there will be a team to trade away their stud for getting future prospect player. It just ain't gonna work. Thats my opinion on what the leafs should do. I definitely want the leafs to do better because I am a leaf fan. I think if we keep playing bad and getting early picks, we should be in the playoff in 5-6 years. And again, comment your opinion. Thanks :)

5. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

i agree and plus the leafs didnt hire babcock for this season but for the future so i know the leafs wont make the playoffs and babcock quoted to the fans"be patient" meaning it will take a while for the leafs to get back on track but i like the preview and the opinions

6. sabresfan28

sabresfan28 Rookie 2

There is no way the sabres will be worse than the leafs

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  7. Ghost of Razgriz

The Devils worse than the leafs? Yeah ok. Leafs don't even got Kessel anymore and our team is energized with youth

8. TuukkaRaskfan40

Well who's the other team then, Flyers, Panthers?

9. Burnaby Joe

Burnaby Joe Guest

No way in hell are the Panthers worse than the Leafs.

10. TuukkaRaskfan40

Well who else is worse than the leafs in the EC

11. Burnaby Joe

Burnaby Joe Guest

New Jersey and Carolina. I'm sorry but it's idiotic to suggest that the Panthers are worse.

12. TuukkaRaskfan40

Oh, forgot about carolina, doesn't help they aren't really relavent

13. Updesh76

Updesh76 Rookie 2

14. Ghost of Razgriz

Flyers

15. Domski

Domski Admin 2BCProductions

Yes, it will be a slow process. I hope in 3-5 years the Leafs will be a Playoff contender. As a Leafs fan however, it is hard to wait. We have been waiting for a long time for change, saw some of that during the shortened playoff run in 2012/13. I think we have the right management in place to begin the process which is important.

16. David Bondra

David Bondra -_-

No doubt they are missing the playoffs and no doubt they are going to get a player in the top-5 in the draft. Great review Dom BTW. In the future, they will be good with Babcock as their coach and a lot of talented prospects like Marner and Nylander. I just hope they don't rush Marner.

17. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

yes, and we leafs fan trust the management so they can make the leafs get back on track and do good trades, signings, and especially drafting. They are on a great start for a re-build and they got the best coach and the future gm so the leafs have a very bright future :)

18. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

i dont think they will rush marner, mark hunter knows marner really well so he will mabe or hopefully send him back to london until his size is pro ready, we trust the leafs management

19. FGCHippoGamer

FGCHippoGamer Legend

If the management do the right thing, then the leafs would definitely come back. If we didn't trade away that pick, we would have gotten our hands on Seguan, but noon, the leaf's management just trade it straight away for no reasons.

20. AlClemBee9575

AlClemBee9575 Superstar 3

No doubt about it, PAIN IS COMING! This season is going to be a tough one to watch. While I think everyone can assume that Kessel's departure has dealt Toronto a major blow, I'd like to believe that maybe this can turn the Maple Losers into the Toronto Raptors (remember when they traded Gray and then became one of the hottest teams in the NBA?). Obviously that probably won't happen, but a guy can dream.