Welcome to 2BCSports' New Server! [FAQ + Updates]

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by PGen98, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PGen98

PGen98 Retired Relic LEGEND

If you're reading this, congratulations! You've made it over to the new server!

As a result, you'll also notice that a great deal of the most recent content is no longer in existence. It's gone. That is why a Notice was posted on the previous server's incarnation of the forums that content posted from (we assumed Monday morning, but it turns out it was actually sometime on Sunday, sorry about that!) would not carry over. As a result, many of us are missing posts, threads may no longer exist that did before, or conversations may suddenly be missing from your inbox. All of this is related to the fact that the content was created on the other server after the data had been transferred.

Having said that, this post will be updated as a rolling FAQ. As questions come up, I'll do what I can to edit them and their corresponding answers into this post so everyone has a good idea as to where things stand and what's going on.

Before we get to the FAQ, I also would like to extend a thanks to @xenBoost, who has served as our host for the past year+. I can't speak for Domski or John, but in my own dealings he was a very gracious host who took the time to answer my questions and worked diligently to resolve issues we had, including hardware and network failures. Our leaving is not a reflection of his service, more a move of necessity and we should all wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

Now, onto the questions part:

FAQ

• Why Are Some Members Still Seeing the Old Server?
      -- Some will still see the old server for up to 72 hours after the changes took place. Unfortunately, you won't be able to communicate with those members on the site since they're viewing a different version of the site from you, but they'll be here eventually!
    • Can I Go Back to the Old Site?
      -- Not via the domain name, no. There are tricks that would get you back to the old site, but the old site itself is unlikely to exist in a few days, so it's best to keep here and wait for everyone to catch up to us!
    • I'm Missing Posts, Threads, Content, Conversations -- WHERE ARE THEY?!?!
      -- All content, up to what appears to be Sunday Afternoon (we said Monday in the notice, and I apologize for that, we hadn't nailed down a specific time) has been transferred. Content created after the transfer took place has not been transferred, since it took place on the old server, and therefore has not been imported. Feel free to re-post threads (though please don't re-post multiple posts of threads. Double posting is still spamming) or restart conversations.
    • I bought something from the store and now it's gone! What do I do?
      -- This is something that's been brought up already and it's something we're looking into to see what we can offer. For now, send messages of that nature to me (@PGen98) and I'll keep tabs on who lost what and see what we can come up with in terms of a solution. Legitimate claims only, please.
    • I had my name changed before the switch, now it's back to normal! Will you change it back?
      -- Send me a message (@PGen98) and let me know your name change has reversed itself. I'll do what I can to accommodate everyone whose name reverted. As above, legitimate claims only, please.
    • I've noticed some lag when posting in the chat, or various other parts, why is that?
      --
      We're not entirely certain at this stage what's causing the lag, but hope it will sort itself out as everything settles into its' standard routines. Yes, we understand that a delay in the chat can be frustrating at times, particularly when the chat gets busy, but we'll look into this and hopefully find some resolution.
      UPDATE: It is recommended you also clear your cache and delete cookies as an added means of ensuring as smooth a transition to the new server as possible.
      UPDATE 2: It appears the lag has now been resolved, for the most part. All credit to Domski and the new host for working on fixing this problem!

Any other questions you don't see on this list? Ask away! Myself, @Domski or any other Admin or Moderator will do our best to answer your questions as everyone moves over to the new server and gets to grips with what's what!

(Massive thanks to Domski for making this switch and doing essentially the entire move along with the new hosting company -- VERY impressive new setup so far!)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  2. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

Great job guys! Really liking the new host as of what I have seen.

3. BucketHorse

BucketHorse Superstar 2

What will the server change mean for us users aside from the site not being down every .4 of a femtosecond? ;)

4. PGen98

Mostly increased reliability, hopefully increased speed (we'll see once more users are here if performance dips or not), and for now that's sort of it...;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

I noticed one thing, when ever I talk in the chat my message is a little delayed. Like I will hit send and thing it won't send for 5-10 seconds later. It's not really a big deal and I am sure you are aware of this but just in case you aren't I thought I would tell you. Besides that I really like the new host so far.

6. PGen98

I have noticed a little lag, or momentary periods of lag, but hopefully that'll clear up as things settle down.

7. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

Yep. I don't know that much about server updates and what not but I am guessing that's the side affects of upgrading and switching hosts.

8. BucketHorse

BucketHorse Superstar 2

That used to be in the old chat too though. I was hoping the host change would improve or maybe even fix that...

9. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

That would be good, but as I said its not the biggest issue in my opinion.

10. BucketHorse

BucketHorse Superstar 2

It could be somewhat of an issue because the chat gets very fast-paced at times and there are people constantly typing and replying to other people and it gets confusing and frustrating if you type something and it gets sent much later than it should've.

11. Ethan x 18

Ethan x 18 Coach

Yes that is also true. I know it's a pain but if the chat ever gets fast paced and the messages are delayed you could just Private Message the person. But I can see why that would be a pain to do everytime. I am sure this will fix its self when the new host settles.

12. BucketHorse

BucketHorse Superstar 2

I really do hope so even though I rarely ever use the chat... :D

13. PGen98

It's something we'll definitely be keeping an eye on, though as mentioned hopefully it'll get better as things settle in.

14. Samee

Samee Hall of Famer 2

Cant wait for the site not getting slow every 5 minuites.

15. TuukkaRaskfan40

TuukkaRaskfan40 Commissioner

Hopefully this server will be a lot better and not crash as often

16. MasterMatt23

MasterMatt23 Hall of Famer 2

Although it's been a short period of time, the new server is holding up well. Definitely not experiencing as much lag as I did the last few weeks.

Thank you guys for moving the server :D

17. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

So no more crash, no more slowing, no more complains. Good :)

18. PGen98

That's the hope ;).

19. Leafer

Leafer MVP PICK'EM CHAMP

Who's the new host?

20. PGen98

The name escapes me at the moment, but they're a Canadian-based Cloud and VPS hosting company. I believe the physical servers are located in Toronto this time around, rather than Kansas City with our previous host.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.