WHL players to know before the NHL 2017 draft

Discussion in 'Prospects/Draft' started by Ride The Lightning, Mar 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Legend

1. Nolan Patrick. Most of us should know this guy the 6'3" 200lbs Centre for the Brandon Wheat kings. Last year he had 102 points (41G 61A) in 72 games. This season he has 42 points (18G 24A) in 28 games. This guy will be a great asset to any team.
    2. Michael Rasmussen. A big centre at 6'5" 200lbs. 55 points in 50 games for the Tri City Americans this year. Solid TWF with good size.
    3. Callan Foote. 6'4" 210lbs TWD. 52 points in 65 games for the Kelowna Rockets. A big hard hitting dman that can create plays and some scoring from the back end.
    4. Cody Glass. 6'2" 179lbs. 85 points in 63 games so far for the Portland Winterhawks. Leading his team in points as a 17 year old. Has good hands, and good size.
    5. Nikita Popugaev. 6'5" 202lbs Russian winger. 65 points in 66 games split between Moose Jaw and Prince George this season. Uses his size to his advantage, can create plays.
    6. Kailer Yamamoto. Small stature at just 5'9" 160lbs, But plays a big game. 83 points in 57 games so far for the Spokane Chiefs. A speedy winger that loves to create plays.
    7. Stuart Skinner. It's said this tendy that plays for Lethbridge might be the top goaltender in the WHL for this draft. Great size at 6'4" 195. 13th in SV% at 0.907 with a GAA of 3.19. Decent record at 33-15-5. Faced 3rd most shots in the WHL at 1785 shots against.
    The more Unknowns:
    Griffen Outhouse: Call me biased..but I think Outhouse is one of the top tendys in the WHL in this draft. Outhouse has a record of 34-20-4 for the Victoria Royals in his first year as a starting Goalie. Playing the most games in the WHL with 58. Outhouse has a GAA of 2.65 and a SV% of 0.920. Top in the WHL for minutes (3304), shots against (1833) saves (1687) and third in shutouts with 4. Nobody is talking about him due to his shorter frame 5'11" 175lbs.
    Tyler Wong: 101 points in 63 games for Lethbridge this season. As a 20 year old, this will be his last season in the WHL. A bit on the small side at 5'9" 176.
    Jayden Halbgewachs: Pretty small at 5'8" 160. But also has 93 points in 65 games for Moose Jaw this season.
    Ty Edmunds: 49 games played with a record of 29-15-4 with Prince George this year. with a GAA of 2.53 and a SV% of 0.914. Edmunds has decent size at 6'2" 180. This will be Edmunds' last year in the WHL.
    Mason Shaw: 5'9" 180lbs. Shaw has 87 points in 65 games this season for the Medicine Hat Tigers.
    Brennan Menell: 5'11" 172. Kind of small for a dman but has 67 points in 64 games and is a +11 for Lethbridge this season.
    Chad Butcher: 5'10" 172. 92 points in 62 games for Medicine hat.
    Morgan Geekie: 6'2" 167. 87 points in 66 games for Tri City.

This list is in NO particular order. If you feel I missed anyone feel free to add them in the comments. Note: Just WHL players only.

2. frank p

frank p Legend 2

Jaret Anderson-Dolan is a guy I can see being a late 1st rd early second round pick similar to Sam Steel was last year. I'm really high on Glass, I personally believe he's the third best center in the draft behind Patrick and Hischier. I'm still on the fence about whether I like him or Vilardi better. Yamamoto is another guy I really like, no reason he shouldn't be a top 15 pick. Can't find too many players with his skill and with the direction the league is going in, you need guys like him. Mason Shaw could be a good mid second rd pickup. Never a bad idea to take skill players with good scoring rates who don't have a high QoT. Not a big fan of Rasmussen. Still a top 60 prospect, but not a guy I'd personally draft if I were a GM. I'm always weary about big defenseman who aren't the best skaters, so Foote isn't necessarily the highest defenseman for me but I havent got around to watch him as much as some other guys. The WHL is offering some intriguing prospects this year for sure.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Legend

Yes thank you! I forgot about Jaret Anderson-Dolan i think he will be an underrated draft pickup for sure!

4. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

Yamamoto or Glass are some of my favorite prospects in this draft. I'm excited to see if there is a lot of movement this year because the draft is weaker. Last year everyone wanted to keep their picks, but maybe GM's will be willing to spend those picks this year in crazy moves. Time will tell!