Winter Classic 2018

Discussion in 'National Hockey League' started by Doclaf, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Although the NHL doesn't typically announce the Winter Classic location and teams until the summer, early reports are trickling in that the 2018 Classic will feature the New York Rangers vs. the Buffalo Sabres on Citi Field in New York City.

This would be a whopper of a classic and there are some interesting details. First off,

-The Sabres would be "hosting" the game. Even though the game is in NYC, something about the Rangers contract with MSG prohibits them from playing a home game anywhere else. So Buffalo will only have 40 games in Key Bank Center. I'm not familiar with the contract itself so please do your own research for more info.

-This is the 10th Anniversary of the first Winter Classic. Crazy that this tradition has been around for 10 years already. I think it's only fitting for Buffalo to participate given that it was started in Buffalo with the thriller that ended in a shootout vs Sidney Crosby and the Penguins.

-The game is probably going to be touted as a serious All American/ Young Guns vs. Old Guard. The NHL has recently been more interested in Jack Eichel and look for him to get a lot of media leading up to the game, as he and Auston Matthews have become the poster children for American hockey. (Too bad it's not Buffalo vs. Toronto. That would have been a doozy. But NYC is a big market so...) New York is obviously one of the American teams from the original 6 and in short it will be a good game for American media and markets. Also the Sabres roster is young and (hopefully) on the rise with young players like Eichel, Reinhart, Nylander, etc... while the Rangers sport fixtures of the league like Lundqvist, and not old but not too young Ryan McDonagh. Could be very much like the original classic where the Sabres were the experienced old guard with Miller, Vanek, Pomminville, etc vs young superstar Crosby and his crew.

Very exciting for everyone involved. Can't wait for January 1st.

2. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

1. James Dolan, the owner of the New York Rangers, can, but most likely will not, allow the Rangers to play a home game anywhere outside of Madison Square Garden. This is not because of a contract, but because of tax exemptions. James Dolan receives major property tax breaks on MSG if his team plays all 41 home games at the Garden.
    2. I agree. I think it is the best move to get Buffalo in there for the 10th anniversary, especially because they were one of the first teams to play in the Winter Classic.
    3. First of all, there would be a much better rivalry in the game if it were NYR vs. NJD, or NYR vs. NYI, but I enjoy watching those fans cry and weep that it is NYR vs. BUF. Could the selection of the Sabres be because of Eichel? Sure, and I think it was a smart move to pick an up-and-coming team to be a part of the 2018 winter classic. I am going to enjoy this game for sure.

3. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Okay yeah tax exemption makes a lot more sense.

4. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

I know I am a Blackhawks fan, but thank god it is not Chicago!

Anyways, this should a pretty good matchup. Having Buffalo was nice since they hosted the first too. Also, Ottawa wil host Montreal on December 16th, 2017 for the Scotiabank NHL 100 Classic.

5. Lights

Lights Superstar 3

I'm pretty sure the Islanders have to approve this because it's on their territory, so hopefully it won't be happening

6. Frankie

Frankie Hall of Famer 3

Lol what

7. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

Territory? Its a baseball field. The Islanders have about as much claim to Citi as they do to MSG. And why hopefully? The winter classic is awesome.

8. Lights

Lights Superstar 3

I'm pretty sure the citi field area would be considered Islander territory therefore they would have to approve this

9. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

This supposed "territory" your talking about may be closer to the Barclay's Center, but the Islanders don't own the area. So the Rangers have the right to use it.

10. Lights

Lights Superstar 3

I don't know but I'm pretty sure I'm right

11. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

It wouldn't make sense. Unless the Islanders franchise somehow has a stake on the land there's no way they have a say. Its the Mets field. Not the Isles.

12. Lights

Lights Superstar 3

i think between both New York teams there's a territory area. If the game is play at Citi Field it would be interfering with the Isles territory, if it was being played at Yankee Stadium I don't think it would matter. I could be completely wrong tho

13. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

Unless the Islanders owners owned the Mets and Citi Field, I guess you can call it territory, but other than that there is no territory.

14. Hornets27

Hornets27 HoRNETS x GiROUX28

They're getting a stadium series, or the Centennial (+1) Classic, don't be happy for too long
    Doubtful man. Rangers could play a home game at Dodger Stadium and the Kings would probably have no say.
    And even without the taxes, they still get money from the 41 games at MSG, and they essentially have 42 home games because obviously many Rag fans will be in attendance and don't both teams make money from ticket sales or does it all go to the home franchise/stadium?

It should be Buffalo-Toronto 100% but the Winter Classic ratings are low enough that the NHL doesn't want to "risk it" and put a Canadian team in it, which is stupid.
    I remember them announcing the outdoor games around March last year, maybe they'll announce other ones later on.

It's not a tradition anymore. There are 3-4 of these a year now and it's lost it's value. '08, '09, '10, and '11 were great. They ****** it up in 2012 when they pushed it back to the 2nd because it didn't want to go up against the NFL week 17 WHERE NOTHING MATTERS. And then no game in 2013, and in 2014 they got too confident and made all 1500 or so NHL games outside. It's not classic anymore, it's just another outdoor game, and it's lost it's tradition

15. Doclaf

Doclaf Legend 2

It is true it has become more of a money grab. I think though that this year might be a reconnect for the classic. Sabres games have the most tv viewership of any team around the NHL. And with the Pegulas building all the hockey oriented buildings in Buffalo, it has quietly become hockey nirvana. The NHL is doing right by one of its biggest markets by putting Buffalo in and I think that will help the popularity of the classic. At least for next year.

16. ClashHawks23

ClashHawks23 Superstar

I like the Outdoor Games, don't get me wrong, but I'm tired of watching ny team outdoors every year. Plus, our outdoor record is bad enough, so I really don't want to lose another one.

17. The Young Vladimir

The Young Vladimir Rookie 3

I didn't realize that their record was so bad in outdoor games until I just now looked it up. Not much that can really be done though since the Hawks bring in so much money to these games. Pretty much any team will want to have Chicago there to drive up their revenue.